Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    it's a civilian school i don't think it's very routine there.

seriously just put your guns in a bag when carrying them trough civvies, who you shouldn't expect to know better.
    The US is an empire and need their military. As retarded as it sound for normal people it's totally acceptable to use schools as recruitment center there. To put it bluntly, ROTC cadets are young people too dumb for west point but still aspiring to be more than cannon fodder. It's a program you do at the same time as you attend college to prepare you to be officer.

So yeah, it's normal there to see wannabe officers in uniform carrying guns replica on a campus.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    ... Really? You want someone to go spree killing so you can be right on the Internet?
    No, I want some people on here to stop being idiots. But we can't get what we want all the time, alas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    The USA has never been invaded precisely because they are prepared for it, you are a Finn so ask yourself what would happen if you lot stopped training your reserve forces.
    The US has never been invaded because it's flanked by two fucking big oceans, that's why. Not because the citizens run around with guns. Civilians are not reserve forces. As much as you'd like to be a badass marine when you sport your toy M4, you're not. You're just a naive dude thinking he's a badass because he sports a semi-automatic rifle. If you come across a real soldier in combat, you're the one to go down. Every day of the week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    That would be hard to do with a replica ie: fake, rifle.
    You and @TwoNineMarine are actually the first sensible people giving me actual information that justifies this program. I'd still point out that it's still somewhat dubious if you can't tell a drill weapon from the real deal without opening it, but I agree with you that drilling is quite harmless in itself.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    If you live anywhere near Washington State I'd love to take you shooting. On me!
    If I ever visit Washington state, I don't mind taking you up on that offer if you extend it towards me as well. I used to be a pretty decent gun shooter.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    You really think we don't have this, even in Canada ?
    'two guys with assault rifles'... hasn't been proven, in fact, one could say based on the professors stated intentions to make false 911 calls that she was likely lying about what she saw the first time...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You laugh at her now, but the moment anything does go wrong all anyone wants to ask is why nobody spoke up and prevented it.
    So are you siding with the professor and her intention to lie and make false 911 calls?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Like if we asked why no one stopped her when the police are told there are a pair of strangers on campus bearing love firearms and shoot before asking more? Informing the police of a situation with live firearms when there is not is beyond criminal, and any self respecting university would kick her out for endangering the lives of students for her political agenda
    I have to ask where the 'live firearms' was mentioned in the story? I read the OP, I read the news article that was linked, I even read the professors letter to the editor... no where was live firearms even mentioned.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    This is not only incredibly offensive, but false. There are ROTC programs at nearly every Ivy League school. Are MIT students enrolled in ROTC idiots? I was accepted into West Point and The Citadel, but chose my college because I wanted the experience of socializing with people who aren't all destined for the military. Take your uninformed hatred somewhere else.
    Damn, we've got a high speed no drag guy right here. I salute you, even getting accepted there is quite the honor.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I do have to wonder, which side do the people saying that she is overacting land on when asked about our friendly muslim who built a clock.

If you say this woman is a pussy for being so afraid but then you say that the kid could have been a terrorist with a bomb and we shouldnt take chances, you are a hypocrit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Etrock08 View Post
    I do have to wonder, which side do the people saying that she is overacting land on when asked about our friendly muslim who built a clock.

If you say this woman is a pussy for being so afraid but then you say that the kid could have been a terrorist with a bomb and we shouldnt take chances, you are a hypocrit.
    She's not over-reacting... she and the entire school were notified beforehand... when the officers investigated they told her what it was... she then informed them of her intent to continue reporting it, even though she KNEW what it was... she's not 'over reacting'... she's an outright liar and the next the next time she files a false report then she'll have crossed over to being a criminal as well.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Yes, why would anyone think that guys with guns might be related to something after Brussels ?

Silly women ! They are not Muslims, which is okay to be mortally afraid of.
    Maybe because it was North Dakota, not Brussels. And because, you know, they were likely using either plastic rifles for spinning, or airsoft rifles in a case for a marksman team....

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You and @TwoNineMarine are actually the first sensible people giving me actual information that justifies this program. I'd still point out that it's still somewhat dubious if you can't tell a drill weapon from the real deal without opening it, but I agree with you that drilling is quite harmless in itself.
    There are a few of us who actually did these drills, so we have a pretty good idea of what it actually is. Ours weren't replicas, for example. Ours were demilitarized rifles (i.e. they were once actually fully functional) and had the barrels filled with metal, and all the moving parts were welded in place or cut out entirely.

Once again, only Americans, of the entire world, think that ''two guys with assault rifle and camo gear'' is normal in an university.
    Yeah, A) They weren't carrying assault rifles and B) They were likely plastic and used for drill team routines.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    If you live anywhere near Washington State I'd love to take you shooting. On me!
    Damn, I wish you were closer, not a whole lot of shooting buddies out here in the middle of my desert. =/

Oh, so having a fake gun is not a reason to be shot at Gotcha.
    No, Sarah, plastic rifles cannot shoot you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Damn, I wish you were closer, not a whole lot of shooting buddies out here in the middle of my desert. =/
    You can come up here... but yea... its a hike to... but bonus... its closer to Grand Forks.

Yeah, we know the drill : all parts of the US constitution except the one about guns are for sissies.

- - - Updated - - -

They said ''camo'' in the OP.
    So two young men in ROTC uniforms, peacefully carrying plastic rifles is what triggers you? Sounds like you might be prejudice and paranoid.

- - - Updated - - -

You think ''camo'' is ''uniform'' ? (It is obviously to some degree, that's a given....)

BTW, what I said this. As a Canadian, I'm actually pretty neutral toward guns, since as a law abiding urban dwelller, I will never touch one or have one waved in my face. I'm not ''afraid'' of them. I just don't live in a culture in which it's normal to pack heat when going to the bodega (hint : which means pretty much every culture in the world)

However, unlike some posters, I'm not mortally afraid that there are several global conspiracies to remove my freedom, that this non-white guy next to me in the bus might be a terror bomber, that there are threats worldwide and that we need to elect clowns for the sole purpose of their pouty mouth.
    You're very clearly a culturalist. You're just as bad as people who hate muslims because they might be terrorists.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So these drills that they're doing... They aren't militaristic drills? They're not playing war? What kind of drills are they doing, exactly?
    Plastic rifle spinning and flipping?

15+ Year Old Account
    looking at her picture, I wouldn't have done anything different either. If I looked like a plumpy turkey I would be scared too of people walking around holding guns...

...I feel like a jerk today.

You really think we don't have this, even in Canada ?
    Apparently not. You seem entirely ignorant, paranoid, and irrational on the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I knew they didn't issue the kids real guns in ROTC, however, I wasn't aware they were wooden guns.
    Wood, or teflon/plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJVOxM516A

This is likely what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    There are a few of us who actually did these drills, so we have a pretty good idea of what it actually is. Ours weren't replicas, for example. Ours were demilitarized rifles (i.e. they were once actually fully functional) and had the barrels filled with metal, and all the moving parts were welded in place or cut out entirely.
    I think that's at least not much of a risk. Personally, I still dislike the notion, but that's personal preference. If that's a known fact about these programs, calling 911 is indeed a bit of a misuse of public resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I think that's at least not much of a risk. Personally, I still dislike the notion, but that's personal preference. If that's a known fact about these programs, calling 911 is indeed a bit of a misuse of public resources.
    This is similar to what I used during ROTC drill team.

Like I said, they is all they were doing. It was likely wooden/plastic rifles if they were practicing in the quad. Practice we used plastic rifles that were clearly not guns. During actula competitions we used rifles with orange caps. This person is just looking for something to be upset about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really, this is the same mindset that Abbot had for Jafe Helm. "Military in our borders? Must be bad!". I mean really, ROTC is in a lot of schools. My undergrad had one. A family friend commands a JROTC at a... Middle school or HS nearby. It's all harmless

So ROTC drills on this campus are a new thing? This article is clickbait bullshit.