Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Looking for a game like Settlers

Hey guys.

I'm looking for a game like settlers resource management system:

Get ore, process it, get wood, saw it, combinde them and make a hammer.

Do you guys know of any games like this?

Banished would be one.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Banished would be one.
    I'l take a look.

tyvm

Anno is similar in my opinion. My favourite is 1404 but there are so many different ones and I haven't played them all.

Anno is a city building game (like the Settlers) rather than a crafting one. Have you heard of Salem? If that is more the direction you seek.
    Last edited by SpikeySquad; 2016-03-22 at 06:32 PM.

Are we talking about a stand alone game you buy, or the browser game ?

I absolutely loved Settlers II [love that prospector's "Yipee!" sound ], but hated the browser game.

Banished for sure.
    If you want to build on a larger scale, there's the Impressions/Tilted Mill games like Caesar III and IV, Pharaoh, and Children of the Nile. Firefly Games' Stronghold series take the theme in a direction of medieval castle building and warfare, and they also made CivCity:Rome which I thought was very under-rated.
    Haemimont Games also made a number of Roman-themed builders though they were not, in my opinion, all that good. Competent, but there's better out there.

I love city building games with production channels and trade networks and walkers and all of that. I can get lost in them for hours.

Banished is really good, and it adds an element of survival to the mix, where you need to not only survive winters but ensure your villagers reproduce and their offspring become adults. It's deceptively challenging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Anno games are pretty similar. Banished is an acquired taste that is not for everybody.

I'd say Knights & Merchants is pretty close to your request. It's quite an old game, available on gog afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Anno games are pretty similar.
    In gameplay yes, time periods change of course.

As for Banished being an acquired taste, sure, but someone interested in builder games would likely find it a good game, if not on the hard side (I've yet to get terribly far in it).
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    In gameplay yes, time periods change of course.

As for Banished being an acquired taste, sure, but someone interested in builder games would likely find it a good game, if not on the hard side (I've yet to get terribly far in it).
    Last I looked at banished it looked really buggy (judging by the comments I admit). Things like villagers just not doing anything, like...eating. I saw a lot of people complaining that their villagers just died of starvation or something when their food stores were completely full up. Things of that nature, however that was probably a year ago so im sure it's been fixed. Is it out of early access now?

It is out of early access, yes, and in full release. There either are some bugs, or I'm not familiar with how the game administers to villagers eating. One that comes to mind is some villagers will literally hoard food while another house is starving. Realistic, yes, but unless I can make my starving villagers plunder their neighbours' homes, it makes for frustrating gameplay.

I haven't done much forum reading on the game as I want to familiarize myself with the basic systems first, so as to have a better understanding of what I'm reading and what is, and isn't, of interest.

"Okey dokey!"

How about Stonehearth ?

It's a little different than Settlers, but it sounds like it might be different in the way you're looking for. Its also "kinda like" Banished, although it has a bit more style to it, imo, and is "easier".

Banished was fun too, but felt pretty unfinished, aimless, and empty. I still got my money's worth out of it, but it gave me that sad feeling of "this could be so much more.... but...."

10+ Year Old Account
    Black Liqud Team few weeks ago announced an new city builder project, they working hard on it. And it will be much better than Banished, since Banished got limits sadly in modding.

http://colonialcharter.com/index.php...lonial-charter

They maked an good job with colonial charter mod btw.

http://forest-village-game.com/

Forest Viliage is right now development stage, but looks promising. But also got many familiar things to Banished.

God I miss a good city building game. I never was a very big fan of modern ones ( like Sim City even though I played them quite a bit). But something in the same vein of the old Pharoh, Zeus , Caesar and RoTMK ones. But sadly I have yet to see any spiritual successor for them on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    God I miss a good city building game. I never was a very big fan of modern ones ( like Sim City even though I played them quite a bit). But something in the same vein of the old Pharoh, Zeus , Caesar and RoTMK ones. But sadly I have yet to see any spiritual successor for them on the horizon.
    For sure. Pharaoh is still quite playable today, as I think the Cleopatra expansion boosted the resolution level. It's still pretty "chunky" but looks good all the same, and the gameplay of course is great. Caesar IV is decent too, and I liked CivCity:Rome.

I wish Tilted Mill had been able to finish Medieval Mayor, I was really looking forward to a medieval-period city builder from them (formerly Impressions Studios, who made the Caesar etc games).

Thanks for the tip on Forest Village, DesoPL. Looks quite ambitions and while I appreciate their desire to implement systems that set FV apart from other builder games, many of those mechanics look extremely prone to bugs and questionable behaviour in-game. The point where many builder games fall down is in their systems not working well, so I'd rather see a solid, well-oiled, city builder where all the moving parts work as they should rather than gimmicky events or systems that aren't really necessary.

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    For sure. Pharaoh is still quite playable today, as I think the Cleopatra expansion boosted the resolution level. It's still pretty "chunky" but looks good all the same, and the gameplay of course is great. Caesar IV is decent too, and I liked CivCity:Rome.

I wish Tilted Mill had been able to finish Medieval Mayor, I was really looking forward to a medieval-period city builder from them (formerly Impressions Studios, who made the Caesar etc games).

Thanks for the tip on Forest Village, DesoPL. Looks quite ambitions and while I appreciate their desire to implement systems that set FV apart from other builder games, many of those mechanics look extremely prone to bugs and questionable behaviour in-game. The point where many builder games fall down is in their systems not working well, so I'd rather see a solid, well-oiled, city builder where all the moving parts work as they should rather than gimmicky events or systems that aren't really necessary.
    Yea you can play it at a decent resolution and it's still great. Though my personal favorite was Rise of the Middle Kingdom. I just really loved the chinese theme. Regarsing Caesar IV , i did play it and i really enjoyed it. I know it got some hate from the hardcore fans but I'm not sure why.

Agree regarding Medieval Mayor. Was actually excited about it but then Tilted Mill just became silent and I'm not sure if it's even around anymore. Hopefully they'll be able to come up with some sort of crowdfunding campain since everyone else is doing it these days so 'm sure they could as well.

Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    Yea you can play it at a decent resolution and it's still great. Though my personal favorite was Rise of the Middle Kingdom. I just really loved the chinese theme. Regarsing Caesar IV , i did play it and i really enjoyed it. I know it got some hate from the hardcore fans but I'm not sure why.

Agree regarding Medieval Mayor. Was actually excited about it but then Tilted Mill just became silent and I'm not sure if it's even around anymore. Hopefully they'll be able to come up with some sort of crowdfunding campain since everyone else is doing it these days so 'm sure they could as well.
    I didn't play RotMK, not sure why. Might have been burned out on the genre when it was released. Regarding Tilted Mill, I'm not sure what's going on there. I did read something a while back where they said Medieval Mayor was put on indefinite hold but I can't recall if there was a reason why given, or if TM are even still around. I rather suspect the company is dead, which is a shame. Hopefully they can regroup and get MM made.

I liked Caesar IV as well. The 3D graphics did remove some of the quaint charm of the predecessors, but it was a good game. I also maintain that CivCity Rome, by Firefly (the makers of the Stronghold series) was an under-rated city builder.

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Last I looked at banished it looked really buggy (judging by the comments I admit). Things like villagers just not doing anything, like...eating. I saw a lot of people complaining that their villagers just died of starvation or something when their food stores were completely full up. Things of that nature, however that was probably a year ago so im sure it's been fixed. Is it out of early access now?
    When did you look it up? During it's early access? Because the full release was nearly flawless.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Banished was fun too, but felt pretty unfinished, aimless, and empty. I still got my money's worth out of it, but it gave me that sad feeling of "this could be so much more.... but...."
    I agree I found banished to be rather shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    When did you look it up? During it's early access? Because the full release was nearly flawless.
    Also agree it has always been flawless for me, and worth noting it was written by one guy. Et tu? AAA studios?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Well, that's partially true. It is very much "finished" as in it has rock solid foundations for a game of that sort but once you learn the one route of doing things it's basically game over because there are no variancy beyond what it offers.

What I'd have loved to see introduced down the line were the following:

-A lot larger maps with invidual AI cities to trade with
    -Proper criminal/justice system with all buildings involved (guard-posts, cells, pillories, gallows)
    -Maybe more control over rules and laws such as ration sizes, whetever some things are allowed or not to support the guard system
    -Caravans to support the new, more in depth trading system with highwaymen possibly robbing them if sent on unguarded
    -Wild animals such as wolves and bears (maybe promoting building a palisade around the town, spending some of the population for defensive with bows and such)
    -More resources and more in depth happiness system to support it

Those would've certainly made the game more emergent and add longevity at least to me. As it stands it's fun as long as you don't figure out the optimal route.