Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

A boat to the Broken Isles

Hey, I don't have the alpha and I was wondering : how do you go to the Broken Isles ?

We just had a tiny portal maintained by a mage for Pandaria. The dark portal seemed great for Draenor but in the end most of our travels use a mage portal to Stormwind / Orgrimmar.

A boat / zeppelin would be more epic and immersive.

Deleted
    Well, to be fair, for WoD we never really left Draenor up until all was done, lore-wise. So we only opened a few portals with Khadgar's help to bring in reinforcements.

For Pandaria, we only left when 5.3 hit and Garrosh staged his Only-Orc-Horde to help Thrall, Vol'jin etc, and even then we went back to the Vale only to clear out the remaining Sha influence - and even that may even have been by ship, not by portal.

All those portals that are in the game for transportation are merely there for us players to travel quickly from continent to continent, they aren't really there lore-wise.

Since Varian and Sylvanas both arrive by airship, I suppose that's how we'll go there too

It's not implemented yet, but probably by boat yes.

Initially, likely by boat or airship. But after that it will just be teleports/portals again....

There won't be a proper ship route.

Deleted
    I hope no portals and you use the flightpath a lot to travel around. It also fits their filosophy of getting to see the world. Stepping in and out of portals does not contribute to that.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd kinda like to see a boat taking us to there and back, because we haven't had one of those in a long time, although an air ship would be even better!
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakh View Post
    Well, to be fair, for WoD we never really left Draenor up until all was done, lore-wise. So we only opened a few portals with Khadgar's help to bring in reinforcements.
    That's not true. Blizzard clarified that Alliance and Horde opened numerous portals that allowed us and other troops to travel back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Malakh View Post
    For Pandaria, we only left when 5.3 hit and Garrosh staged his Only-Orc-Horde to help Thrall, Vol'jin etc, and even then we went back to the Vale only to clear out the remaining Sha influence - and even that may even have been by ship, not by portal.
    Also not true. Lore-wise portals to and from Pandaria were opened in SW, ORG and in the Vale.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Portal. And they'll have justification for the first time ever. The Legion blows up any boats around the Isles.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Portal. And they'll have justification for the first time ever. The Legion blows up any boats around the Isles.
    Sounds like a poor justification to me. They could have said the same thing for northrend. It is that hard to implement a boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalsen View Post
    Hey, I don't have the alpha and I was wondering : how do you go to the Broken Isles ?

We just had a tiny portal maintained by a mage for Pandaria. The dark portal seemed great for Draenor but in the end most of our travels use a mage portal to Stormwind / Orgrimmar.

A boat / zeppelin would be more epic and immersive.
    I agree, I have always enjoyed the boats.

Deleted
    Probably after the Broken Islands scenario, which is a normal scenario(ie you queue for it), Khadgar ports you to Dalaran and from there its open game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    I'd kinda like to see a boat taking us to there and back, because we haven't had one of those in a long time, although an air ship would be even better!
    Would be cool if we were witness to the Varian /sylvanna scene, from a nearby air ship

ship would be nice but.. where would it go? unless the scenario place becomes a little harbour for reinforcements to the isles. ah we'll see!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    ship would be nice but.. where would it go? unless the scenario place becomes a little harbour for reinforcements to the isles. ah we'll see!
    They could install an airship dock in Dalaran.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    Good point, so I guess it's too late for a ship now.

If they think a ship takes out the feeling of "new savage and undiscovered land", they have it wrong. How a faction army can pass trough a single mage portal ? That's what I imagine everytime I go to draenor. I know we don't have an army on draenor, but an army of players is enough to valid my point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't make sense having a boat going there all the time. Northrend was a normal traveling route, with towns and all that. The broken isles is a place we only visit to fight the legion and even that ends badly for us, our forces are not organized, so much that we raise with our class halls instead of our factions which are in disarray.
    It will probably be like Vashj'ir or Pandaria where we go on a boat/gunship and then we have a flight path or portal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azahel View Post
    Wouldn't make sense having a boat going there all the time. Northrend was a normal traveling route, with towns and all that. The broken isles is a place we only visit to fight the legion and even that ends badly for us, our forces are not organized, so much that we raise with our class halls instead of our factions which are in disarray.
    It will probably be like Vashj'ir or Pandaria where we go on a boat/gunship and then we have a flight path or portal.
    That's how blizzard sees it, and I do not agree. The great army of alliance, victorious of many wars is not organized enough to send boats to the battlefield ? Sounds not right.

To move a giant city filled with civils 5 minutes next to the point of invasion doesn't make more sense, so no "new place" and "not organized" are not valid point for me.

Do you remember how epic your first step trough the Dark Portal was ? Or that feeling going to the Howling Fjord, feeling so small in front Utgarde keep. That is what I want for Legion and the next expansions to come.
    Last edited by mmoc6d0f0efd67; 2016-03-25 at 07:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalsen View Post
    That's how blizzard sees it, and I do not agree. The great army of alliance, victorious of many wars is not organized enough to send boats to the battlefield ? Sounds not right.

To move a giant city filled with civils 5 minutes next to the point of invasion doesn't make more sense, so no "new place" and "not organized" are not valid point for me.

Do you remember how epic your first step trough the Dark Portal was ? Or that feeling going to the Howling Fjord, feeling so small in front Utgarde keep. That is what I want for Legion and the next expansions to come.
    Yeah, I get that, but seems like they do send stuff on an all out assault but we lose the battle, that's why the factions are in disarray now.
    I believe that the launch event plus the broken Isles starting experience will connect things up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Since Cata, immersion in travel is going downhill.
    Goblin made new ports in Swamp of Sorrows and Tanaris. Make them connected by boat? No...
    Mists: Make boats (or even pandaren baloons) to travel ti Pandaria? No...
    Warlords: I have only used dark portal to start the Tanaan intro - but truth be told I only left Draenor for TW vendors/quests and Mythic UBRS runs.
    Legion: I really hope they bring boats between continents back, but after abovemention, I'm not keeping my hopes high.