Thread: [TV] Arrow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuFhtagn View Post
    She is reaching Lori Grimes levels of cringe.
    Way way past that for me.

This may be the char I have hated the most in any TV show i've seen.

At first I liked her, I was one of these people that wanted her to get with Oliver. People started hating on her but I liked her still, I couldn't understand the hate.

Last season it started changing for me, by the end of the season I still liked her though. This season is where it changed, I can't stand the stuck up bitch anymore. Like holy shit, the character seems to be written purely for tumblr fan girls. She does so much fucked up shit over and over again, sprouts bs about how relationships should be and how it's "ok to lie to protect someone", but when Oliver does it he's wrong!

I can't stand her and the show, one of my fave tv shows ever, is dying because of her. I no longer look forward to each new episode because I know she's in it. I skipped through the majority of this weeks episode because I couldn't be arsed with the bullshit surrounding her. I hope she is the one who's dead at the end of the season and that was a vision of her in the Limo. It won't be, but It's the only thing that will save this show for me now.

https://i.imgur.com/reaFaB5.png
    Last edited by Solidito; 2016-03-24 at 09:09 PM.

Characters like Felicity always end up worse once the "will they, won't they" aspect of their story is resolved to "they will." It happened to Angela from Who's The Boss, it happened to Bones, it happened to Castle's Beckett, it didn't happen to Scully because they only got together (canonically) in the movie, after the series.

The only time it works are in comedies, like Friends.

Hey guys, btw, me and oliver are broken up. Oh ya, I don't want to talk about either.

It made me lol

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    At first I liked her, I was one of these people that wanted her to get with Oliver. People started hating on her but I liked her still, I couldn't understand the hate.
    See, I liked her, but I never wanted them to get together. It sort of bugs me that they couldn't just have a brother/sister role. I think Oliver and Sara would have had a more energetic relationship instead of the silly stuff a relationship with Felicity entails.

I can't stand her and the show, one of my fave tv shows ever, is dying because of her. I no longer look forward to each new episode because I know she's in it. I skipped through the majority of this weeks episode because I couldn't be arsed with the bullshit surrounding her. I hope she is the one who's dead at the end of the season and that was a vision of her in the Limo. It won't be, but It's the only thing that will save this show for me now.
    During the vow sequence I was just watching youtube videos.
    I did love how she made all these passive aggresive snide comments, while they're playing it like Oliver is the hurt one. She really comes off as a self-centered bitch. Sure, he didn't share 100%, he covered something up, oh dear god, you can never trust him again, best to just needle him while he's trying to fight crime, eh?

I'd really have liked it if one of the others stepped up and said something to her, but guess not.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    During the vow sequence I was just watching youtube videos.
    I did love how she made all these passive aggresive snide comments, while they're playing it like Oliver is the hurt one. She really comes off as a self-centered bitch. Sure, he didn't share 100%, he covered something up, oh dear god, you can never trust him again, best to just needle him while he's trying to fight crime, eh?

I'd really have liked it if one of the others stepped up and said something to her, but guess not.
    I wish one of them said something too, and yeah those snide back hand comments really pissed me off from what I saw. As you said she's such an entitled self-centred bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Characters like Felicity always end up worse once the "will they, won't they" aspect of their story is resolved to "they will." It happened to Angela from Who's The Boss, it happened to Bones, it happened to Castle's Beckett, it didn't happen to Scully because they only got together (canonically) in the movie, after the series.

The only time it works are in comedies, like Friends.
    it's quite twisted isn't it.. the fact is so many of these shows show that bleak downward trend. Not just one but nearly all it would seem.

By watching tv you would think everyone in western society is doomed to relationship failure, and many of us who've grown up tutored by TV about life, no wonder our relationships suck, we've been fed for 20 years (mostly, nearly all, all or more than all our life) with this stuff, we think it's the norm and most of us have no idea what the norm for relationship is outside the handful of people we know, let alone our village or town or an entire city or an entire civilization - and yet this stuff showing up time and time again, for dramatic effect really iritates me because it's presenting an exception as a normal thing... to the extent now a whole generation thinks its noraml and carries on following those trends. No soundbytes on good relationship advice, no good realistic examples of what works.

Worse is after the couples have gone through so much, you see them split anyway, sometimes on BS sanctimonious BS.. makes you hate princples, which is stupid, you shouldn't hate good values or morals or principles because someone uses them poorly or as an excuse, it's not the value, but the person.

They ruined Juliette in Grimm in a kind of similar way too, altho hers was a bit worse.

On another note, I had really thought Lauren was going to be Olivers chick when I first started the show, was glad it didn't end up that way because it's been so often used it's cliched now. Going with Felicity was surprising, you remember Smallville? well Chloe never got Clarke, but in Arrow, Chloe (Felicity) gets her super hero. And then she leaves him.

Trust is very important, and yes it is significant that Oli wouldn't tell his wife-to-be, but is Felicity that pure and contrite a person for that to matter to the extent of break up? No! not according to her character's portrayal imo. She comes off as a person that wants an out, and uses that as perfect opportunity to get it. Nothing more. A person truly in love would see how they really have changed a very messed up man to be a lot better, and causing him to make better and better choices, and less and less slip ups.

Does she have super major trust issues with ex-boyfriends? Where is the background episode that shows that?? Isn't Oliver exactly that type of person, with some major issues and secretive? I mean she's known that from the start, it takes a while, and after all he's done , alot worse than that incidentally, and her supposedly "loving" him through that, and really turning his darker heart to the brighter side, she stops there because of a tight situation...?

Does she think him not telling her means that he really doesn't love her becasue he doesn't trust her enough with that? Give the dude some time. I guess we don't like her now cause she's judged him and not being compassionate or merciful about that.

But in all fairness it could also be just show nonsense to build up to a banging make-up scene. A cheap low point, that reads like trashy romance novel in order to set up a high point of reconcilation. Nothing real about any of it, just fake. Makes it quite rubbishy

I mean, the genre is "drama." If the drama of the sexual tension between two leading characters is resolved - they have to create it elsewhere. In the situation where the two characters' resolution is to get together as a couple, then the natural "drama" to write is "problems in their relationship." Television drama is constantly being balanced between external drama, drama which comes from outside the characters, which is usually to push plot forward, and internal drama, which is usually used to push character forward.

I don't know of any drama where the main characters become a couple and there aren't issues. Except in comedies, except comedies do it too, but more for comedic value ("WE WERE ON A BREAK!" etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Trust is very important, and yes it is significant that Oli wouldn't tell his wife-to-be, but is Felicity that pure and contrite a person for that to matter to the extent of break up? No! not according to her character's portrayal imo. She comes off as a person that wants an out, and uses that as perfect opportunity to get it. Nothing more. A person truly in love would see how they really have changed a very messed up man to be a lot better, and causing him to make better and better choices, and less and less slip ups.
    Really, on screen Oliver has told her a lot more of his secrets than she has told him hers. Her whole hacking background and family stuff doesn't get expained until it's directly important and even then mostly gets glossed over.

But in all fairness it could also be just show nonsense to build up to a banging make-up scene. A cheap low point, that reads like trashy romance novel in order to set up a high point of reconcilation. Nothing real about any of it, just fake. Makes it quite rubbishy
    It really is just manufactured drama, I mean the mother made Ollie promise not to tell anyone and he promised, but it's not like he needed to keep that promise in any meaningful way. He could have told Felicity without her ever telling the mother. Felicity punishing him for keeping his promise is just as silly. I can almost see her point that he makes the decision about sending the kid off without her input, but really she has shown a complete lack of compassion for his very confusing feelings through this. From his side, he just found out he has a son, he has to try to figure out what that means, he has to understand and process his feelings.

So she dumps him, that'll help. It's a miracle he didn't join Cupid in her crusade rather than trying to stop her.

BUT, really, I don't think we're the intended audience for the Olicity drama. I'm sure there's other folks out there eating it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Really, on screen Oliver has told her a lot more of his secrets than she has told him hers. Her whole hacking background and family stuff doesn't get expained until it's directly important and even then mostly gets glossed over.

It really is just manufactured drama, I mean the mother made Ollie promise not to tell anyone and he promised, but it's not like he needed to keep that promise in any meaningful way. He could have told Felicity without her ever telling the mother. Felicity punishing him for keeping his promise is just as silly. I can almost see her point that he makes the decision about sending the kid off without her input, but really she has shown a complete lack of compassion for his very confusing feelings through this. From his side, he just found out he has a son, he has to try to figure out what that means, he has to understand and process his feelings.

So she dumps him, that'll help. It's a miracle he didn't join Cupid in her crusade rather than trying to stop her.

BUT, really, I don't think we're the intended audience for the Olicity drama. I'm sure there's other folks out there eating it up.
    I know right.. trust is important and all, but where is the virtue and honour for those who atually keep their oaths and promises? Especially when given in good faith.

To expect someone to tell you everything unless you're at least married, and even then (since most people get married who don't even share the same belief systems - i mean how can you share everything with a person you're not even on the same page at the core of your value system?) is quite naive and bordering on silly given the context, especially since, you're not yet married, and given that the sin was actually keeping to your word honourably. Though it would sting not to quite be trusted yet for a secret like that, it wasn't as if the guy kept it to himself for himself, he gave his word in a tough spot - sure it may have been wrong to give his word without thinking it through, but not to keep it, so really she shoudl be annoyed with him for not being wise enough not to make such a promise..not for keeping it. Amongst other things.

so ofc, this ruins her character for a lot of us... and if that was the intention of the writers, then Felicity is not who we thought she was, if it wasn't, then it is bad writing, if it's just for a make-up scene then it's cheesy writing.

I think the major point that locked in the Felicity hate from me was The Arrow/Flash crossover episode.

After Oliver had his life turned on it's head and he went to Barry to confirm it with a test. He then took some time to process the results and Felicity found out and ended the relationship without giving him time work through it properly. What possible reason would he have to tell her knowing that she responds to his problem is such a selfish way.

She put Oliver into a lose/lose situation because everything has to be about her now.

10+ Year Old Account
    felicity was such a cunt last night, oliver should cut his losses and move on. unfortunatly, she IS really good at the computer whiz shit so they need to figure out how to work their shit out so she can keep helping with that
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

I did not like the Oliver & Felicity thing since it started and recently it had taken the focus away from Arrow and feel more like a show centered around Felicity the hacker and her sidekick enforcer Arrow. I think the show has lost most of it elements from season one and two that made it a huge success among the target audience here. The recent episode was incredibly soapy and made me reconsider if I want to keep watching it. One slight hope is that with a break up, there would be more Arrow and less felicity.

I guess it is made more and more to appeal for a different audience than the one it started with. Luckily with a fair amount of series from both DC and mavel (Netflix Daredevil & Defender series) there are enough to choose from.

Maybe they're really doing something gutsy and paving the way for Felicity leaving the show? Make Arrow kind of angry, and driven again? Force him to not escape to the suburbs immediately after Darhk is done, like they were at the beginning of this season?

IDK, I can't see any other reason to write Felicity so badly, other than "classic CW romance drama."

I suspect whoever is in the grave will help bring Ollicity back.

I really enjoyed Thea in the episode, I like it when she has a personality outside the team and her father.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

I can't find the comment at the moment, but someone stated something that really struck me as a fantastic way to go.

The comment, loosely said, was "What if Felicity wasn't there?"

I thought to myself this is genius. What if Felicity did die and is in the grave. Oliver is so distraught he starts manifesting delusions of Felicity being alive and being with her. This is caused by the feeling of guilt from not being able to protect her. For a short time next season we deal with Oliver making errors as he deals with his inner demons regarding her loss. But eventually Oliver snaps out of it and we have a vicious and angry Green Arrow, one that still will not kill, but shows a brutal disregard for the physical well-being of those criminals he chases down.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I suspect whoever is in the grave will help bring Ollicity back.

I really enjoyed Thea in the episode, I like it when she has a personality outside the team and her father.
    Yeah, Thea has her moments, she also does "crazy chick" really well. Laurel still doesn't work for me, but she doesn't bug me anymore so that's fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by karumayu View Post
    I did not like the Oliver & Felicity thing since it started and recently it had taken the focus away from Arrow and feel more like a show centered around Felicity the hacker and her sidekick enforcer Arrow. I think the show has lost most of it elements from season one and two that made it a huge success among the target audience here. The recent episode was incredibly soapy and made me reconsider if I want to keep watching it. One slight hope is that with a break up, there would be more Arrow and less felicity.
    They've been taking Oliver down a bunch since they decided to go more ensemble than Solo Hunter guy. Felicity, Canary, Spartan, Speedy, they pulled the focus less on him and more time for the team, but meh. And I like the team, I really do, but as Felicity pointed out "you hacked that guys account and returned all that money before me". They just gloss over his own skills, they took away his money (because hollywood really doesn't understand how stocks work), he burned his russian mob connections.

I guess it is made more and more to appeal for a different audience than the one it started with. Luckily with a fair amount of series from both DC and mavel (Netflix Daredevil & Defender series) there are enough to choose from.
    It's still worth watching for me, and I can gloss over the Olicity crap and still enjoy the rest of the episode. Like many things, it's not like I'm choosing this over something else, I'll watch Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, Legends as well as Daredevil, Luke Cage and any other thing that appeals to me. (Except Agents of Shield, screw them)

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    I can't find the comment at the moment, but someone stated something that really struck me as a fantastic way to go.

The comment, loosely said, was "What if Felicity wasn't there?"

I thought to myself this is genius. What if Felicity did die and is in the grave. Oliver is so distraught he starts manifesting delusions of Felicity being alive and being with her. This is caused by the feeling of guilt from not being able to protect her. For a short time next season we deal with Oliver making errors as he deals with his inner demons regarding her loss. But eventually Oliver snaps out of it and we have a vicious and angry Green Arrow, one that still will not kill, but shows a brutal disregard for the physical well-being of those criminals he chases down.
    like in ASK Mr Robot.. but it won't work here, too many direct references and conversations with the others. Presumably the time would from the shooting of Felicity and Olly by Darhk... but far too oftne, there is direct interaction, and individual scenes, it would be an obvious retcon, not that it hasn't been done before, but it's incredibly lame when they do that...wasn't it Dallas that they retconned an entire wast it 5 seasons ?-by claiming the actor was just dreaming?

cupid is my waifu.

2 crazy ladies back to back are you trying to kill me cw?

anyways

GAD DAMNIT WOT THE FOCK @_@
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    like in ASK Mr Robot.. but it won't work here, too many direct references and conversations with the others. Presumably the time would from the shooting of Felicity and Olly by Darhk... but far too oftne, there is direct interaction, and individual scenes, it would be an obvious retcon, not that it hasn't been done before, but it's incredibly lame when they do that...wasn't it Dallas that they retconned an entire wast it 5 seasons ?-by claiming the actor was just dreaming?
    I think the implication is that the event that kills Felicity would still be forthcoming, and just the scene in the car we saw in the spring premiere was a hallucination.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the implication is that the event that kills Felicity would still be forthcoming, and just the scene in the car we saw in the spring premiere was a hallucination.
    Yes, that was what I was attempting to say.