View Poll Results: Would you enjoy the game world better if Quest Tracker was Removed?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • Yes - Brings immersion and flavor to the game

3 17.65%
  • No - I just want epics

14 82.35%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Remove Quest Tracker From The Game.

This is one of those things that seems good on paper, but in reality it really didn't play out well in game at all. If immersion is an end goal of a development staff of an MMO, doing things that removes immersion (like adding quest tracker) into their base UI, kinda goes in a 180 against adding immersion in the game.

Imagine life with quest tracker. Mindlessly pick up quest, mindlessly go to dot on map, mindlessly kill mobs, mindlessly return to quest giver, mindlessly turn in quest.

Pointless and boring.

Now, imagine life WITHOUT quest tracker. No dot on map, no highlighted area on map telling you exactly where to go. Now, you have to actually READ the quest to determine where to go. The quest givers give clues in their quest text that helps you go where you need to, to complete the quest. You read the quest, and you gain a little insight as to WHY you are doing what you are doing for the quest giver. Immersion.

Immersion is what is greatly lacking in the game right now, and I would argue that quest tracker is a major reason why it is lacking today. Yes, there will be people who will just have "thottbot" open on the other monitor, but many people would still read the quest text and objectives to find out where to go in game.

Bring immersion back to WoW!

No thanks. Ain't immersive or fun and why do people keep comparing this game to real life? It's a video game it's supposed to be an escape from the chores of life and for us to relax.

The last thing I want to do is be "immersed" in a video game. I'm not that pathetic. Close, but not that pathetic.

Edit: JAYLOCK.
    Last edited by Gephyrophobia; 2016-03-25 at 10:21 PM. Reason: jaylock

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    No thanks. Ain't immersive or fun and why do people keep comparing this game to real life? It's a video game it's supposed to be an escape from the chores of life and for us to relax.
    I never compared it to real life.

Having a "cheat code" embedded into the game doesn't make the game better. It makes it worse. I don't find clicking on a button, running to a place to kill xyz (who the fuck cares what mob), only to go back and press a button, just to move on to the next button is not a fun or immersive game.

Deleted
    You have the option to turn it off, its what i do. I actually read quests before i do them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gephyrophobia View Post
    The last thing I want to do is be "immersed" in a video game. I'm not that pathetic. Close, but not that pathetic.
    The same way book readers don't want to be immersed in the books they read?

Its called entertainment for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I never compared it to real life.

Having a "cheat code" embedded into the game doesn't make the game better. It makes it worse. I don't find clicking on a button, running to a place to kill xyz (who the fuck cares what mob), only to go back and press a button, just to move on to the next button is not a fun or immersive game.
    Not really a cheat code. It was designed as a Quality of Life improvement. Also like the guy above says turn it off.

No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

The same way book readers don't want to be immersed in the books they read?

Its called entertainment for a reason.
    I'm not pathetic enough to read books and pretend to live in a fantasy world either.

10+ Year Old Account
    A little self-control goes a long way. You can disable the quest tracker and go off quest text perfectly well, assuming you haven't recently had a botched lobotomy.

edit: Also, demanding anything be removed after the absolute disaster that was WoD should be met with an automatic 30-day ban from the forums, the official forums, and the game. Stop demanding the developers hold your hand and babysit your poor self-control and use the ingame tools freely offered to make your game experience less convenient.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    A little self-control goes a long way. You can disable the quest tracker and go off quest text perfectly well, assuming you haven't recently had a botched lobotomy.
    About that.... mine got pretty botched Like it's a mess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I look at it in the same light that I do flying.

Simply having the option there is not good, otherwise people will take the path of LEAST RESISTANCE every time.

Also, i think it would slow down the pace of content consumption a bit, and more people would ask in trade where xyz mob is, or help with quests. That happened a lot before quest tracker was added to the game.

Deleted
    I saw lots of people complaining about jaylock .. this thread, and specially this BS poll convinced me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Not really a cheat code. It was designed as a Quality of Life improvement. Also like the guy above says turn it off.
    You have two options:

1) You are handed 5k a month to pay all your bills. Free.

2) You have to work 40 hours a week, to make 5k a month to pay all your bills. Requires effort.

Which do you choose?

Hint: one is essentially cheating the system.

Almost everyone used an add-on for it back in the day, and you can disable it now, so pretty much nothing has changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Sure. Take it out. People will go back to using any one of the addons for it. The immersion is is still broken. It's completely on the player... I mean, you can choose to ignore the quest tracker and just go off quest text, but humans want the path of least resistance... I very much think you overestimate what the player base feels.

Yeah, there are going to be people who don't grab an addon... but remember, Blizzard put it in because apparently there were enough people using addons for it that it made sense for it to be baseline.
    They also turned off the HUD raid helper that put visuals on the raid floor calling it "cheating" and then they banned that addon.

Could they not also ban quest tracker addons if they deem it an unfair advantage?

7+ Year Old Account
    you can disable it if you want to.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    I look at it in the same light that I do flying.

Simply having the option there is not good, otherwise people will take the path of LEAST RESISTANCE every time.

Also, i think it would slow down the pace of content consumption a bit, and more people would ask in trade where xyz mob is, or help with quests. That happened a lot before quest tracker was added to the game.
    Then you have no self-control and, as I said above, the developers aren't responsible for that. The tools exist for you to choose the game experience you desire: you can reach any location you need on a ground mount as of WoD, you can use Trade and the Group Finder to pre-assemble groups and use meeting stones to summon the party, and you can turn off the quest tracker for a more immersive quest experience. I'd also recommend the addon "Storyline," as it offers a more immersive means of storytelling through quest text than just getting a pane with a couple paragraphs and dialogue options.

But we both know this is just another one of your threads where you shitpost on purpose for the sole goal of riling people up with yet another stupid idea, so let me apologize for taking the bait. You'd think that by now I'd have learned to just sit back and resume pretending you haven't been doing a grand job turning this forum's community to sludge with one troll thread after another. Immersion is just a buzzword you use with the same hamfisted ignorance as any other disgruntled hardcore on this forum, where it means whatever you want it to mean rather than the actual, inherently-subjective definition of the word.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

You have two options:

1) You are handed 5k a month to pay all your bills. Free.

2) You have to work 40 hours a week, to make 5k a month to pay all your bills. Requires effort.

Which do you choose?

Hint: one is essentially cheating the system.
    Again comparing real life to a video game. Stupid comparison. Games are an escape from life when we are done with work and just want to chill. And no the tracker is not cheating. A cheat would get you banned, by your logic anyone who uses a quest tracker should be banned.

Where's Mankrik's wife?