Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Easy fix for youtube.
    Let people watch what they went to that channel for in the first place.
    Stick adverts off to one side or top or bottom (& no, I do not mean more loud/flashing clips, just actual real adverts).

That way, if anyone wants to read the advert or click it, they can.
    Meanwhile everyone that hates them can ignore them.

Having said that, it`s been shown countless times that ads aren`t secure & sites take no responsibility, so there is no reason why people should risk their computers.

Deleted
    love the people who defend not using adblocker o nyoutube theres not just adverts in the videos either and its a bit of a piss take when an advert can last longer than the video sometimes,

people need to get with the times most people dnt have adblockers to purposly restrict people making money its more of the fact that alot of ad companies who make these adverts are really shady or unknown and then its not just the advert itself theres also the scripts and coding behind them which is dangerous to.

so to the people who think turning adblocker off is safe dnt count on it just cos and advert says omething aobut warcraft or something like that doesnt mean the code behind it is 100% safe, if anything alot of wow adverts prolly contain malware or keyloggers to try and steal your account

wowhead and mmo-c are really bad for ads and scripts so until they remove them i will never disable adblock and i find it funny that the admins of both sites dnt seem to give a shit about it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Then don't watch it. If you do watch it, then you should support the creators by whitelisting ads.

You know, back in the mists of time (the early nineties), we actually had to pay for things if we wanted to watch them. Now you can't watch a few seconds of an ad. What are you going to do when content creators just get fed up with you and paywall everything? I suspect you will complain about that a lot more.
    dude i was born in 83 so i know about 90's and having to pay for stuff, but if i want something for free il find it on the internet, its like these people who charge for antivirus software, MSE is perfectly fine with malwarebytes which i did pay for cos its a damn good program and i have there anti exploit too

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Remember that ads are often the reason why particular websites are free and do not require subscription. So I guess you can thank all those people without add-block for having MMO-Champ free.
    I can, and I do

Turn off your ad-blockers, so you keep the sites I visit, with ad-block on, free. Please and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    If these content creators are so "smart", why aren't they working for google?
    Probably for the same reason Justin Bieber, Angelina Jolie, and Dave Chapelle aren't working for Google - they're entertainers. Most of the YouTubers I follow and enjoy didn't get into YouTube to make a living, they accidentally fell into it as a job or hobby. It does become a job when you're paying for high end cameras and other equipment, getting multiple videos up per day, having to hire assistants to help keep you on track and deal with more specialized editing while you're both creating content, networking and collaborating with others, and actually trying to have a life of your own (or build up a career outside of YouTube). That said, the ones I follow aren't pestering viewers to allow ads through.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Don't mind websites which aren't overboard with ads(also have to be safe).
    Websites with more traffic use more bandwidth, which cost more to run, and typically is why there are more ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    im right there with you. Yes i understand that websites have their own operation costs, but abusing their target audience and putting their security at risk with improper ad screening will keep me using ad blocking programs.
    I agree with this. I don't mind websites having a lot of ads, as long as the website can be trusted to screen their shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Thats no reason to bombard its users with fucking 30 ads per page. All websites have the ability to make a profit even with ALL of its users using ad blocking software, if their content is engaging enough and people want to actually read and interact with it. Its called subscriptions.
    Right that's one method. But just like video games, different places like to use different methods. If MMO-C had a subscription requirement they would have a lot less traffic.

As stated above, if you are being exposed to security risks by youtube, then you definitely shouldn't be on the web at all. Or going outside. You really have to be so dumb to get a virus through youtube it is virtually certain your computer is infected by multiple sources already.
    You don't get it. I take ZERO risks with my computer's safety. I don't want to have that ONE TIME something gets through happen. Can you tell me youtube is 100% safe all the time? You can not do so. So drop the 'you have to be so dumb' bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I get it. You don't think you should have to watch ads or pay for stuff and content creators should work for free. Guess what, they won't. The consequence of that is that you don't get free content. If that's the situation you want, fine, just don't whine about it when you get cut out of the loop.
    Know what happens if 'content creators' stop making stuff on youtube? Not much, people will still go to youtube and find all sorts of things to keep them busy. You act like Youtube was not around before 'content creators' making money was a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

If you view their content, then you should support than content or it will not continue to be created. It is a simple point that is really not very difficult to understand.
    You are so fucking wrong it is physically painful. You know Youtube started with 'content creators' making zero money right? You think just because some creators make money now that everyone that puts drek on youtube deserves money. Wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

You want to be a parasite, fine. I'm not interested in further communication with you.
    Lol just because someone blocks ads does not make them a 'parasite'. Oh noes Joe Random on youtube didn't make a FRACTION of a penny from me. Boo fucking hoo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Easy fix for youtube.
    Let people watch what they went to that channel for in the first place.
    Stick adverts off to one side or top or bottom (& no, I do not mean more loud/flashing clips, just actual real adverts).

That way, if anyone wants to read the advert or click it, they can.
    Meanwhile everyone that hates them can ignore them.

Having said that, it`s been shown countless times that ads aren`t secure & sites take no responsibility, so there is no reason why people should risk their computers.
    I'd just find an addon that blocked even those adverts. I want an advertisement free internet and that is what I have.

I never felt the need for adblock until this site starting using ads that come to life at 1000 decibels after I was away from keyboard for a long time. It's literally the most obnoxious ad site I have ever encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    Probably for the same reason Justin Bieber, Angelina Jolie, and Dave Chapelle aren't working for Google - they're entertainers. Most of the YouTubers I follow and enjoy didn't get into YouTube to make a living, they accidentally fell into it as a job or hobby. It does become a job when you're paying for high end cameras and other equipment, getting multiple videos up per day, having to hire assistants to help keep you on track and deal with more specialized editing while you're both creating content, networking and collaborating with others, and actually trying to have a life of your own (or build up a career outside of YouTube). That said, the ones I follow aren't pestering viewers to allow ads through.
    Well, then these "content creators" should either find platforms that allow them to sell their content (i.e. subscription/paywall based), or do other things to generate revenue, such as sell merchandise, or endorsements. Otherwise it probably isn't a good idea to invest in these high end cameras, etc. unless you know you can make the income to afford it.

While I'm sure there is some money, I highly doubt Justin Bieber, Angelina Jolie, or Dave Chappelle make all or even most of their income from online advertisement revenue.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    I understand that. But again, it's not the responsibility of the viewers to "support" said hobbies. The YouTubers chose to do what they're doing so the onus of finding a dependable means of funding those hobbies lies solely on them. In any case, the final decision on the content delivered to a user's device is the user's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Remember that ads are often the reason why particular websites are free and do not require subscription. So I guess you can thank all those people without add-block for having MMO-Champ free.
    That used to be a relevant argument, but the problem now is that ad networks, even the "good" (hah) ones all end up carrying malware; adblock isn't about avoiding annoyance, it's a basic security measure.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    id love the admin of this site to post his or her views on how adverts are on this site

ghostery blocks 7 trackers and my adguard blocks 12 ads and no script is prolly blocking alot more behind the scenes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nightfalls View Post
    Well, then these "content creators" should either find platforms that allow them to sell their content (i.e. subscription/paywall based), or do other things to generate revenue, such as sell merchandise, or endorsements. Otherwise it probably isn't a good idea to invest in these high end cameras, etc. unless you know you can make the income to afford it.

While I'm sure there is some money, I highly doubt Justin Bieber, Angelina Jolie, or Dave Chappelle make all or even most of their income from online advertisement revenue.
    you do know there is a subscription service on youtube right where these people can make money, god wish people would read or look up shit before talking outta there asses

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    If you see an ad that actually redirects you, report it here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...orting-bad-ads

We don't have a lot of control over the ads since they're mostly generated by your tracked browsing history (if you have any), and the common promotions going on wherever you are.
    why should we report bad ads if the admin of this site didnt fill the site up with em he wouldnt need that form in the first place sounds like lazy admin syndrome to me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moomoocow83 View Post
    why should we report bad ads if the admin of this site didnt fill the site up with em he wouldnt need that form in the first place sounds like lazy admin syndrome to me
    We don't control the ads. We work with a number of ad providers (as pretty much every site does), and they provide the ads. Malicious people slip ads into the networks and they sometimes make their way to sites. If you don't report them, we don't know about them and they can cause trouble.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If MMO-Champ was just filled with ads based on my browsing history I would never need ad block. It would all be big breasted MILFs and fishing gear I can't afford in the margins and a TennisAce thread to lol at in the center.

I will let you in a secret. Site admins don't care what you use because when they provide the traffic of the site to advert companies, both ad-block using and not users are included in the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoocow83 View Post
    you do know there is a subscription service on youtube right where these people can make money, god wish people would read or look up shit before talking outta there asses
    I don't know the details, but I'm aware that YouTube (and twitch, and most broadcasting sites) have subscription options. Which brings back the question... what's the problem then with ad blockers? Make money via subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    I will let you in a secret. Site admins don't care what you use because when they provide the traffic of the site to advert companies, both ad-block using and not users are included in the traffic.
    That's not true. Ad revenue is based on amount of displays, click-throughs and view-throughs. Ad providers know exactly how many ads were displayed (not-blocked), and how many were clicked. Traffic alone does not matter much.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted
    only morons click on adverts in todays age, if you click on ads your just asking to be infected with malware

- - - Updated - - -

tbh im not gonna listen to some youtuber about turningadverts off cos any youtuber who thinks he makes alot of money through ads is a dumbass for 1 click of an ad the youtube prolly gets around $0.0000000001 of it,seems like people think youtube is just about money well when youtube first started there wasnt no adsense or nothing like that so videos were just uploaded purely for watching and entertainment for free, now with the rise of the internet celebritys and shit people seem to think that just cos you upload some half assed video or even a good video on youtube they should be able to make money. i find it funny that people still have issues with using adblockers, adblockers are pretty much anti-malware programs now and no shitty youtuber is gonna change my mind from using it and if all those youtubers care about is money then there just a bunch of sellouts

Iv been using Ad block since around WOTLK lol. My attitude is there are plenty of dumb people who dont take advantage of it so theres plenty of revenue for the websites.

Either way i cant stand ads and when im on someones computer without Ad Block I instantly remember how annoying they can be

You want to be a parasite, fine. I'm not interested in further communication with you.
    I see it this way: I hate when solicitors knock on my door. And I doubt you feel differently. Extend the analogy as you will.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I see it this way: I hate when solicitors knock on my door. And I doubt you feel differently. Extend the analogy as you will.
    I understand why people use adblock and I find the ads on this site and many others intolerable. The guy I was talking to however seemed to just want free stuff that someone else pays for, ironically part of the reason why the ads became so bad in the first place.