Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Chicken stock cubes should be fine. Just crush them into some hot water, stir and pour.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont eat Broccoli. Then again, I can afford my T-Bone steak. Why would you have three dogs if you cant afford diffrent food?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Would you eat dry dog food, if you had the choice?

I rest my case.
    Thats the thing iam a sucker for there deep black eyes and all i want is just for them to eat there damn food that is supposedly good for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    I dont eat Broccoli. Then again, I can afford my T-Bone steak. Why would you have three dogs if you cant afford diffrent food?
    Becuase i dont want to see them put down but i can afford to pour a shit ton of dry food that is supposedly good for them into there bowls but they will not touch it

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Richiebcfc25 View Post
    Can i ask you for the recipe? I know things like garlic and onions is poisonous to dogs
    I buy a big case of canned chicken broth from Costco. I don't remember the price, I think it's cheap in bulk.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-03-26 at 09:43 AM.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Literally put warm water in with the food, or put a little bacon grease in as well. They eat that shit up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they refuse to eat this dog food, starve them for 1-2 days. And then they will eat up.
    However it could also be a bad dog food for them and its best to ask a dog expert or doc for dog food.

Never mix anything into dog food. You will only make them puke.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    My dog likes it when I soften her dog food with a little broth.
    same here. sometimes I switch it up and mix it with yogurt, though most of the time - she gets this stuff http://www.nupro.com/nuproDog.html with her food. but yeah, it would definitely help to try different things becasue even with gravy, I have found that my girl won't eat certain foods. (we did kinda spoil her with good stuff, but nonetheless)

edited to add http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ has fantastic reviews on quality of dog food.

15+ Year Old Account
    Take your dry food outside and put the hose on it.

make sure the dog is around and watching.

Deleted
    Somehow, somewhere you didn't learn them the habit of doing so it seems.

It's pretty difficult to get this into their system in later years.

They're not going to starve. They're smart enough that they'll eat the dry food when they need to eat (or should be).

Huge, very inexpensive dog food strikes me as probably being junk food, though. All about quantity. Or you could simply make your dogs food in your own kitchen out of people food. (my moms have to do that for their dog, he's got some sort of weird digestive issue and they've been trying to figure out what's causing it -- a year and a half later, and he gets dog meatballs, pumpkin puree, and some supplements sprinkled on top each day; ingredients purchased in bulk and frozen for later prep keeps things somewhat affordable) I mean, if you're going to give them your own food, you might as well make sure they're getting a balanced diet from home-prepped food.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

You'd have to ask a vet, but I think decent quality dry dog food is actually okay. Just make sure they have plenty of fresh water.

If you want to ease them into it, mix a bit of wet food into it. But basically you have to ignore their whining and not give them anything else (and make sure nobody else is feeding them). Once they are hungry enough they will eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    They're not going to starve. They're smart enough that they'll eat the dry food when they need to eat (or should be).

Huge, very inexpensive dog food strikes me as probably being junk food, though. All about quantity. Or you could simply make your dogs food in your own kitchen out of people food. (my moms have to do that for their dog, he's got some sort of weird digestive issue and they've been trying to figure out what's causing it -- a year and a half later, and he gets dog meatballs, pumpkin puree, and some supplements sprinkled on top each day; ingredients purchased in bulk and frozen for later prep keeps things somewhat affordable) I mean, if you're going to give them your own food, you might as well make sure they're getting a balanced diet from home-prepped food.
    Was super surprised to see that it took this many posts for someone to bring up the quality of "HUGE bag of cheap food" you're trying to feed them. If OP is hoping they will eat kibble that is probably more unhealthy for them than the scraps of his food that he is giving them, the dogs are smarter than he is. The amount of actual trash that is in the cheaper and store brand pet foods is absurd. Having a pet like a dog or a cat is at very least a 10 year investment and responsibility, if not somewhere around 15+ depending on breed. I wish more people were aware of the responsibilities that come with adopting these new family members, they don't deserve to eat trash or be neglected in any way. Not saying OP neglects his dogs, but feeding them trash is a huge step in the wrong direction.

do your dogs get any exercise? my mom's dog is kind of picky about eating her food, but when we take her for walks she's more likely to eat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok iam at my wits end with my dogs

I feed them a huge bag of dry dog food but they simply will not touch it and i end up caving and giving them scraps from what i eat.

I know iam enabling them by doing that but i cant see them starve but i would love suggestions on how to make them eat dry dog food cause i own 3 dogs and i cant afford wet dog food.

I am very generous with the amount of dry dog food i give but they simply will not touch it and iam sick to death of the guilt trip i get from just eating my regular meals and i would really appreciate any suggestions.
    OP, some dogs just have other preferences, they might be animals - but so are humans in the end. Try a different brand, or mixing two brands. Or, the expensive choice of wetfood.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    You own 3 dogs, but cannot afford wet dog food? This is really strange... Why did you decide to have 3 dogs then?
    Wetfood is quite more expensive than dry food.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats the thing iam a sucker for there deep black eyes and all i want is just for them to eat there damn food that is supposedly good for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Becuase i dont want to see them put down but i can afford to pour a shit ton of dry food that is supposedly good for them into there bowls but they will not touch it
    So, you decided to save three dogs from.. what? a hundred? Why not four? Or all? Or, then again, why not two and buy them food they eat?

Not belittleing your idea to save them but man.. gotta show some common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Giving dogs a treat isn't spoiling them you know.
    A little bit of human food in their dinner gives them something to get excited over.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Stop caving. If they're hungry long enough, they'll eat the damned dry food.
    This. Stop fucking caving and act responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

One of my dogs is a 13 year old Mastiff/ St. Bernard mix. She is in such bad shape that she will just not eat most days. We've found that if we mix just a little wet food in with the dry stuff, she will inhale all of it. Most dogs like cheese and/ or carrots as well, so just try different foods if they really don't want you have for them.
    When work feels overwhelming, remember that you're going to die.

Nothing unusual dry dog's food is usually awful, and from my experience some dogs rather eat millet or rice with cheap meat, my old one even liked carrots, but they all refused to eat dry food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Hello there,

I would recommend making rice (super cheap) and then mixing it with chicken stock, and mix that with dry food. See your dogs a trained to accept table scraps, so when dinner comes don't put out their food till after you eat or while your eating. Are dogs are fed a mix of dry food with rice and boiled chicken couple days of week. Also talk to your local vet, and if you can't afford the vet you need to rethink pet ownership. As much as you love your animals always and I mean I always consider their health and well being.

Edit: iPhone grammar mistakes..