Poll: Should the name have been changed?

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Pardon me sir, but I have friends who identify as various forms of oceanic life and your name seems extremely insensitive to their situation, suggesting that it's acceptable to treat them as food. It's abhorrent. I'd request that you change it immediately.
    Suggesting I'm not actually seafood myself.. wow. omg. I need an ADULT.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Loanwords? What is this, a bank? Hahaha! I only speak good american words!
    Which are basically 80% bastardized French or German words. For linguistics!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

So when is the colour black going to be changed to something else? Because it's obviously a racist term...

/logic!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Paint names are stupid anyway, just using codes would be better, but I don't think many people would like using codes.

The particularly abstract ones are the worst.....
    yes im gonna paint my wall a lovely shade of XOFGH889

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moomoocow83 View Post
    yes im gonna paint my wall a lovely shade of XOFGH889
    When you're actually telling people about it you don't tend to be as specific as the name of the paint colour, since it usually conveys very little.

If I said I was painting my living room in sundrenched saffron 1 it would mean nothing. I'd more likely just be about as specific as saying yellow. For most people 20YY 34/700 and sundrenched saffron 1 have about the same level of relevance to them.

Then there's the ones that mean even less. Like Monarch. Which is actually a red. Although there are arguments for it to be blue or purple depending on what you associate the word with.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-03-26 at 07:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Not exactly the best business choice, just sayin. A name change is a good idea.
    And with this, the thread should of been wrapped up and over...

Alas, no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    ‘You wouldn’t sell something called abortion red or poo brown. To me it’s the same thing, it’s offensive,’
    This woman is retarded.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-03-26 at 08:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Changing it to spell the full name seems good. If anything it just adds clarity.

No idea what she wants since she's still not satisfied. It's a shortening of a paint name, she's not owed an apology.

Deleted
    The woman, in her 50s, told the paper: ‘I looked at the paint and thought it can’t possibly say that, you have got to be kidding me, there’s no way they would sell that. I started choking. ‘I got straight out of there. I was furious and upset.
    Okay, I get that the name is a bad one one way or the other, but this just makes me question this woman's mental stability "It says the word rape so therefor I get upset and I can't be in the same building as this can because reasons"

Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post
    Okay, I get that the name is a bad one one way or the other, but this just makes me question this woman's mental stability "It says the word rape so therefor I get upset and I can't be in the same building as this can because reasons"
    Her reasons seem to be that she was a victim of sexual assault and thus the word rape will naturally be more offensive to her than to a non-victim.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    The woman, in her 50s, told the paper: ‘I looked at the paint and thought it can’t possibly say that, you have got to be kidding me, there’s no way they would sell that. I started choking. ‘I got straight out of there. I was furious and upset.
    OP there is a typo.
    This women cannot possibly be any older than 5 years old
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

This brings up an interesting question. What IS the color of rape?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    This brings up an interesting question. What IS the color of rape?
    Green with bright yellow flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    How is "rapeseed" avoiding that people might misunderstand what "rape" means in that context?
    If "tomato" was deemed an offensive for some form of assault tomorrow would you propose to rename "tomato red" "tomato leaf red" to "avoid" the issue?
    This is a ridiculous argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Looking at the comments here (which I do understand is not always reflective of humanity at large) there are plenty of people upset that the name is being changed at all.

I just find it funny that, for some people, the response to PC culture is to go extreme in the other direction.
    It's not the "extreme in the other direction" to not want to bow and scrape for some mongrel who can't read context or understand the world doesn't revolve around them and their sensitivities.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    It's not the "extreme in the other direction" to not want to bow and scrape for some mongrel who can't read context or understand the world doesn't revolve around them and their sensitivities.
    It is pretty extreme to refer to someone that has a different opinion than you as a "mongrel" however.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    As irrelevant as the last time you said it.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, the entire rape plant isn't yellow, so if you want to be like that, it's no more correct to call that paint rape yellow than to call it rapeseed. You'd have to rename it rape petal yellow, if we want to be super pedantic for no real reason.
    It's not about being pedantic, it's about flat out concocting your own reality to suit your own needs. Everyone knows what rose red is, despite the plant being both red and green, this is known as context. But if you start calling it roseseed red you're deliberately fucking with the context, and crafting lies because the seeds aren't red.

Same thing with rape and rapeseed.

Deleted
    be so funny if her next boyfriend was a painter lol

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bovinity divinity View Post
    pardon me sir, but i have friends who identify as various forms of oceanic life and your name seems extremely insensitive to their situation, suggesting that it's acceptable to treat them as food. It's abhorrent. I'd request that you change it immediately.
    Says the guy who is appropriating Hindu culture with a username that says that cows are divine creatures!

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    They should probably just shorten the name to 'Yellow', as the colour on the tin just looks like a generic yellow anyway.

Actually who in their right mind would even buy paint from Aldi, I mean at £4.99 a tin it's not going to be any good anyway.

On the positive side though, this thread reminded me of this:

Oh my god there is rape everywhere, it's all over the road and everything!