Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Do you imagine how much QQ it will cause if they decide to make WoW look like Witcher 3? Just look at the people complaining now for sightly increasing the system requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    Do you imagine how much QQ it will cause if they decide to make WoW look like Witcher 3? Just look at the people complaining now for sightly increasing the system requirements...
    Its hard to feel sympathy for those that refuse to do anything at all to upgrade over a 10 year period... the minimum was what.. a dual core cpu.. really? we are so far beyond the minimums that its laughable that they are set so low.

as for looking like witcher 3.. i would expect that an upgraded wow (or wow 2.0) would have its own textures. i was more pointing out that the attention to detail along with higher level models and generally far more detailed (and wider) world would be possible while still retaining wow's cartoonish style. some of the scenery in witcher 3 just screams amazing and wow has nothing that can match it.

when you go into one of the major cities it feels, sounds, and looks like what a fantasy medieval city should.. and the country side vistas when you just go off road .. are simply breath taking at times.. i love wow.. dont get me wrong. but i would love to see it updated to something alot closer to the videos i linked

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKazar View Post
    You're only saying that cause we've all gotten used to the old looks. This could potentially work, If they could impliment modern looks like In this Unreal 4 Engine video, and what they have already.

Besides, It's a Blizzard Game... It ruins on everything, but doesn't run well or look amazing on anything.
    It would absolutely melt most machines when 20+ players were next to each other. It looks nice but it's not practical for a MMO. For single player story MMO it's fantastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    Its hard to feel sympathy for those that refuse to do anything at all to upgrade over a 10 year period... the minimum was what.. a dual core cpu.. really? we are so far beyond the minimums that its laughable that they are set so low.

as for looking like witcher 3.. i would expect that an upgraded wow (or wow 2.0) would have its own textures. i was more pointing out that the attention to detail along with higher level models and generally far more detailed (and wider) world would be possible while still retaining wow's cartoonish style. some of the scenery in witcher 3 just screams amazing and wow has nothing that can match it.

when you go into one of the major cities it feels, sounds, and looks like what a fantasy medieval city should.. and the country side vistas when you just go off road .. are simply breath taking at times.. i love wow.. dont get me wrong. but i would love to see it updated to something alot closer to the videos i linked
    Networking takes cpu overheard as well. So when you deal with a world that isn't 100% pre-rendered and static positions that really puts a huge load on both your processor and video. When you have latency that also effects your FPS because the data isn't arriving that your client needs to process. So it's a lot more than just buying a new machine and pressing go.

Wow's networking is fairly good. The only game I think I've seen handle it better was Daoc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Networking takes cpu overheard as well. So when you deal with a world that isn't 100% pre-rendered and static positions that really puts a huge load on both your processor and video. When you have latency that also effects your FPS because the data isn't arriving that your client needs to process. So it's a lot more than just buying a new machine and pressing go.

Wow's networking is fairly good. The only game I think I've seen handle it better was Daoc.
    I would have bought that argument several years ago.. but not in todays multiplayer environment. there is far more bandwidth available than we had even 10 years ago that could handle the additional traffic.. on top of that. there are to many games out there that handle multiplayer just fine and have high end graphics battlefield 4 and 100's of bullets flying around aimed at different people from different angles tells me that wow's slower paced combat should be just fine in an upgraded engine that wouldnt put much more pressure than already exists on the network.

You take the possibilities that exist in todays games from 5000 npc's on screen at once (assassins creed unity) to massive action games like BF4 that handle rapid changes in altitudes, multiple gun types, vehicles, players, player rolls, then add in the open world that is alot closer to witcher 3 than wow's zones with mountain boundries..... no .. sorry i dont see that the network would be impacted very much at all..

in the 15+ years since wow's started in development gaming and whats possible has changed.. the engine is old, the players are growing bored with the same old thing.. its time for a reset.. either a huge advance in the story line that resets us back to level 1 in a new world powered with a new engine or its time to start hearing about 2.0.

what has been proven is wow is loosing its player base.. now its time to change things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    What would you suggest then? What don't you like about these renderings?
    At risk of offending people, WoW has a childlike, almost cartoonish aesthetic.

Compare it to the more recent FF games, or Guild Wars, or even Rift.

By changing the aesthetic of the Warcraft universe as seen through the eyes of a hyper realistic, detailed UE4 engine concept, the game that is WoW changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyindor View Post

By changing the aesthetic of the Warcraft universe as seen through the eyes of a hyper realistic, detailed UE4 engine concept, the game that is WoW changes.
    Yes. I don't know what's the exact word to describe but WoW has this unique look that makes it WoW. Just like you recognize let's say Metal Gear Solid 2 when you see a picture. The UE4 shots is well made but it's not really unique, and in a result does not really have some kind of "soul". This is what I call generic. Sure the designer certainly did something and it could be a nice work in progress, but you don't create a worthy video game engine like that.

isnt that you dont need good specs to run wow one of the biggest reasons why wow is so popular? i doubt theyll make the graphics good

10+ Year Old Account

All they would need is the assets to stay in the WoW style. Look at Hearthstone, it uses the Unity Engine and that looks pretty sweet but still looks like Warcraft.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LovesToSpooge View Post
    isnt that you dont need good specs to run wow one of the biggest reasons why wow is so popular? i doubt theyll make the graphics good
    its a factor because it allowed more people to subscribe and play, as you werent limited to having a great pc to play.

however these days, the requirements are even worse. you can still play on a 8-10 year old pc. but compared to the current gen and next gen games, its starting to look dated. hence the new player models etc etc.

people really want a fancier engine and new abilities as the engine itself would require alot of work to build in new mechanics. for example, Fear. staple vanilla mechanic. but if you wanted to add something new in, its becoming harder and harder to surprise the playerbase due to the limitations of the engine.

theres only so many tricks you can pull with the current engine to make things look visually nice as well.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC

This. Does. Not. Look. Hyper. Realistic. Seriously how do people keep getting hung up on this? Is this what hyper realistic games look like these days? Has realistic not changed since 2004? Do people consider TES as a "realistic" looking series? I see this as a refreshed version of the cartoonish style that WoW is done in. I see no realism in these renderings. If you see these as "realistic" you may need to get outside more often...

10+ Year Old Account
    This. Does. Not. Look. Hyper. Realistic. Seriously how do people keep getting hung up on this? Is this what hyper realistic games look like these days? Has realistic not changed since 2004? Do people consider TES as a "realistic" looking series? I see this as a refreshed version of the cartoonish style that WoW is done in. I see no realism in these renderings. If you see these as "realistic" you may need to get outside more often...
    Not to mention Unreal4 is (From what I've heard) it's very very scaleable in terms of hardware.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Shit not bad!

How much do I need to post to make my own threads with links in them? I wanna recruit to my guild

I love how people complain that the videos are generic and the environments "lacks soul". Did you expect a Triple-A level of quality coming from one guy playing around in an engine in his spare time?

Time to get real people, obviously it's not going to look like a professional title with a ton of art direction, polish and "soul". That actually takes a lot of time, effort and dedication by multiple people.

For what they are; they look great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neba
    *upon Arthas death*
    "Well done! But your Frostmourne is in another castle."
    *hurls Frostmourne over the horizon to the next expansion*

It's just so much more immersive with all the sound effects. The wind blowing, the birds chirping and flying in the distance. Westfall gives you greater sense of scale. Blizzard should reset the game with a great engine and bring it up to modern standards. It's just crap compared to other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    It's just so much more immersive with all the sound effects. The wind blowing, the birds chirping and flying in the distance. Westfall gives you greater sense of scale. Blizzard should reset the game with a great engine and bring it up to modern standards. It's just crap compared to other games.
    I think if they want WoW to be timeless they should do it but I don't have a lot of knowledge on their engine that Wow currently uses. I'll just call it Warcraft 6.0

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    its a factor because it allowed more people to subscribe and play, as you werent limited to having a great pc to play.

however these days, the requirements are even worse. you can still play on a 8-10 year old pc. but compared to the current gen and next gen games, its starting to look dated. hence the new player models etc etc.

people really want a fancier engine and new abilities as the engine itself would require alot of work to build in new mechanics. for example, Fear. staple vanilla mechanic. but if you wanted to add something new in, its becoming harder and harder to surprise the playerbase due to the limitations of the engine.

theres only so many tricks you can pull with the current engine to make things look visually nice as well.
    blizzard has stated they will NOT ever introduce a new game engine as it would require too much work for what purpose? to make graphics people happy at the expense of everyone else who can't afford a higher end gaming rig....have fun with your relatively empty mmo then....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Hyper realism is exaggerated realism. Calling something hyper realistic isn't the same as saying a game is indistinguishable from reality.

This concept is technically impressive but doesn't fit in with the aesthetic of Warcraft.

7+ Year Old Account
    As I said before. I like this. It looks awesome. BUT keep in mind. This is a camera flyover of an empty environment. A PRETTY environment, but an empty one. No players. No mobs. No combat. No people with shoulders with flames coming out of them and belt buckles the size of trash can lids with spinning gears. No massive AOE's with particle effects flying everywhere. How do you think that would perform with hundreds of players killing things? UE4 was not designed to be an MMO engine.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2016-03-28 at 09:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    I would have bought that argument several years ago.. but not in todays multiplayer environment. there is far more bandwidth available than we had even 10 years ago that could handle the additional traffic.. on top of that. there are to many games out there that handle multiplayer just fine and have high end graphics battlefield 4 and 100's of bullets flying around aimed at different people from different angles tells me that wow's slower paced combat should be just fine in an upgraded engine that wouldnt put much more pressure than already exists on the network.

You take the possibilities that exist in todays games from 5000 npc's on screen at once (assassins creed unity) to massive action games like BF4 that handle rapid changes in altitudes, multiple gun types, vehicles, players, player rolls, then add in the open world that is alot closer to witcher 3 than wow's zones with mountain boundries..... no .. sorry i dont see that the network would be impacted very much at all..

in the 15+ years since wow's started in development gaming and whats possible has changed.. the engine is old, the players are growing bored with the same old thing.. its time for a reset.. either a huge advance in the story line that resets us back to level 1 in a new world powered with a new engine or its time to start hearing about 2.0.

what has been proven is wow is loosing its player base.. now its time to change things.
    Battlefield and most FPS's use UDP and prediction algorithm's to speed up the gameplay. Wow and most MMO's still uses TCP which takes far more overhead and cpu to process. You're also at the mercy of latency. Each packet waits until it's acknowleged before a new one is sent. A dropped or even slow packet will cause your clients latency to spike. When latency spikes and data isn't coming through your game stalls.

UDP which all modern FPS's use is more flexible but wouldn't work with WoW because they need reliable transmission. The packets are sent from the client continuously with no delay waiting for ACK. They can also add an additional network layer inside UDP as needed which can't be done with TCP.

This is why you see excellent network performance in FPS's of all levels yet with MMO's performance gets spiky to downright horrendous with 50+ players around you.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Reminds me of how cartoony wow is
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic