Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    What I see the problem with adds is that in these times, there's just no way to trust them.
    Since I can't install anything on PCs I use in school, I see ads on sites I browse there (during breaks, ofc). I presume that university with thousands of students has decent security measures, but that's going kinda OP so back on track...

When you mouse over any "average" add on the internet, what you see is dozens (more like hundreds) random characters and no way to know where the add is leading to. It's the reason I don't trust ads these days, unlike in past where an add was simple JPG image and when you hovered over it you usually saw the website link. No cross-site scripts managed by third party servers and their cookies datamining to try (and fail) to guess what you might be interested in.

If ads stop to be cross-site scripts that you can't see through, and go back to static code, then I might consider not blocking them.
    Safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoocow83 View Post
    no youtubers dnt deserve money its not a given right that youtubers should make money, if you wanna make money get a job doing youtube is not a real job at all
    Yes doing youtube is a real job. They are providing content people enjoy, Just like TV shows and movies.

Clearly you are jelly of youtubers and the fact they can make money doing the work they love. Why don't you spend hours editing videos and all then tell us it isn't work.

With that said its everyones right to use adblock and I use it myself. Just don't get pissy when a site you use to go to blocks you from using it.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-03-27 at 11:24 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    youtube isnt a real job just cos you spend hours on something doesnt mean its a job, and since your not paid hourly that also makes it not a job cos even part-time jobs u get paid by the hour cos the site never offered money in the beggining, people who think youtube is a way of making good money are just blinded by the internet fame crap same for twitch

youtube isnt a real job just cos you spend hours on something doesnt mean its a job, and since your not paid hourly that also makes it not a job cos even part-time jobs u get paid by the hour cos the site never offered money in the beggining, people who think youtube is a way of making good money are just blinded by the internet fame crap same for twitch
    You must be new to the world because there is many real jobs that don't play you hourly....

Can everyone make it on Youtube...Nope but not everyone can be a movie star ether. As I said your just some person on the internet that is mad someone is making money doing something they enjoy. I hate to break it to you but you don't get to decide what is and isn't a job. They pay tax's like everyone else and they provide a service like everyone else. Its a job like it or not.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You must be new to the world because there is many real jobs that don't play you hourly....

Can everyone make it on Youtube...Nope but not everyone can be a movie star ether. As I said your just some person on the internet that is mad someone is making money doing something they enjoy. I hate to break it to you but you don't get to decide what is and isn't a job. They pay tax's like everyone else and they provide a service like everyone else. Its a job like it or not.
    how is uploading videos to youtube providing a service, providing a service is something like having a phone line installed or having gas and electric, youtube offers the service not the actual uploaders

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait... what? You think you have go get paid hourly to have a real job? You think any of the big name actors are being paid hourly? Are you insane?
    Anything you get paid for, regardless of how often or by what method, is a job.

On topic though: I understand why people use adblock but a lot of people in this thread are very much exaggerating how often you get malware(etc) from ads.

- - - Updated - - -

how is uploading videos to youtube providing a service, providing a service is something like having a phone line installed or having gas and electric, youtube offers the service not the actual uploaders
    It is providing an entertainment service usually. It can also be providing information to someone on how to do something. That's a service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    I understand why people use adblock but a lot of people in this thread are very much exaggerating how often you get malware(etc) from ads.
    Oh I totally using ad-block for the reason that ad annoys the hell out of me. If they really need to do something about it, they should set up a pay wall to see see if their channel really deserved to be alive.

Financial Times is one of the very few paper that has a pay wall, and it is doing fine. If your content is great, people will pay for it. If not, they should disappear and stop forcing people to watch ad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Oh I totally using ad-block for the reason that ad annoys the hell out of me. If they really need to do something about it, they should set up a pay wall to see see if their channel really deserved to be alive.

Financial Times is one of the very few paper that has a pay wall, and it is doing fine. If your content is great, people will pay for it. If not, they should disappear and stop forcing people to watch ad.
    Do you really think a website like MMO-Champion, Diablo Fans, or any of those would do well if they required a subscription fee though? I personally don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you really think a website like MMO-Champion, Diablo Fans, or any of those would do well if they required a subscription fee though? I personally don't think so.
    Then choose between have a paywall or expect people to have ad-block.

If people value it enough they will get paid for it one way or the other, if not, people obviously didn't value it enough.

Deleted
    this site alone is enough to have adblocker on, im suprised the admin of the site hasnt posted why he or she puts a shit tonne of ads on there site

Then choose between have a paywall or expect people to have ad-block.

If people value it enough they will get paid for it one way or the other, if not, people obviously didn't value it enough.
    People DO value free websites, they just don't think it's their job to police them from bad ads.

I happen to agree with this - if ad companies want to get paid, they should police their ads BEFORE they let them out onto websites, not AFTER.

Could you imagine how many non-digital companies would go bankrupt if they did not do quality checks BEFORE they put their product on the market?

PAID ad companies need to step up and hire quality check personnel and stop asking their consumers to do it for free.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2016-03-28 at 01:24 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The guy I was talking to however seemed to just want free stuff that someone else pays for, ironically part of the reason why the ads became so bad in the first place.
    First, I didn't ask for "free stuff". It was already provided "free". If there was a cost associated with accessing the content, it would have come with a method of payment and a method of preventing access until payment was received. Your point is basically saying, "Here's free stuff. There's a donate button off to the side. If you don't donate, you're a free-loader and a horrible person."

Secondly, no one asked or forced anyone to invest their own money into their "hobby". That was entirely up to them and the onus of the costs rests entirely on them. And while there's certainly nothing wrong with having a "donate" button or even advertisements as a way to fund (or help fund) said hobby, demanding that people subject their devices (and person) in order to view content that's freely available for viewing is just catering to a sense of false entitlement.

TL;DR: Paywall or piss off. My device is mine and I decide what gets delivered to it. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    With that said its everyones right to use adblock and I use it myself. Just don't get pissy when a site you use to go to blocks you from using it.
    That's right. It's the content provider's "right" to host advertisements. It's the user's "right" to block advertisements. It's the host right to block users who block advertisements. Interestingly enough, however, is that the primary attraction to the content is the fact that it's free. /shrug
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-03-28 at 01:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    People DO value free websites, they just don't think it's their job to police them from bad ads.
    Then do the anti-ad block that some websites are doing, deny access for people using ad block.

That is the only way to see if people value the service enough to go through with the inconvenience of ad or not.

Then do the anti-ad block that some websites are doing, deny access for people using ad block.

That is the only way to see if people value the service enough to go through with the inconvenience of ad or not.
    You left out the rest of my post that said ADs are not the issue, BAD ads are the issue.

If paid ad companies would police their own ads BEFORE they list them then ad blocker usage would go down dramatically.

10+ Year Old Account
    You left out the rest of my post that said ADs are not the issue, BAD ads are the issue.
    And you left out the part I said I don't care if ads were bad or not, I hate them regardless and will block them all? And trust me I won't be the only person who feels this way.

And you left out the part I said I don't care if ads were bad or not, I hate them regardless and will block them all? And trust me I won't be the only person who feels this way.
    Ppl like you are not the majority, which is why I don't count you in the "dramatic drop of ad block usage" situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ppl like you are not the majority, which is why I don't count you in the "dramatic drop of ad block usage" situation.
    Without any statistic data neither of us can claim how many people will use ad-block if they are less intrusive.

7+ Year Old Account
    And trust me I won't be the only person who feels this way.
    No, you won't. Personally, I have zero tolerance for advertisements. In fact, I just cancelled my WWE subscription because they put short ads into their video player so that before you watch any video (video that you're already paying for, mind you), you have to suffer through 5-30 seconds of shit that you don't care about. A free site doing that isn't quite as bad, but it's not really better, either. So to me it doesn't matter if it's via AdBlock or my custom CSS/JS files, I will always block every ad I can.

Psst, you might not know it, but there's an anti-anti-ad-block. And when that gets blocked, there's gonna be a blocker for that one too.
    In the eternal war of good and evil, only the tech-savvy enough to find and install addons can triumph!

On topic though: I understand why people use adblock but a lot of people in this thread are very much exaggerating how often you get malware(etc) from ads.
    Once every 10 years is too often to get malware.