Poll: Should the name have been changed?

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Look at all the no's from MRA goons who have never had to deal with sexual assault.
    How do you know they haven't?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Only a complete fool would have a meltdown because they saw a word they didn't like. What happened when she told people about it? Did she choke up every time she said the word rape herself? You might not like it, but its been called that since before you were even alive and no one has made a big deal out of it until this fragile attention grabbing fool had to make a huge deal about it and start demanding an entire industry changes its product name to satisfy her.
    Who cares about her ... obviously you have very vivid fantasy scenarios about how she is and how it went, but it's irrelevant. Completely missed the point, but who cares about making sense I guess, when you're busy being passionately offended.

So are they going to rename the flower too?

15+ Year Old Account
    There's run away PC culture, and then there's run away anti-PC culture. This is an example of the latter. If your life is so completely miserable that you vehemently oppose the changing of the name on a paint can because some people are bothered by it, then there's little left to say.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    vehemently oppose the changing of the name
    Has anyone actually done this?
    I only see people characterizing the complaint one way or another.

Deleted
    rofl people get insulted so easily these days.

Watch as people will still refer to it as "rape yellow" anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I am Chinese, I am more offended to the word "yellow" than the word "rape".

You should totally change the name so it doesn't say "rape" or "yellow".

I will let a black person to do the black paint complain.
    as a white person, who is bald, I'm deeply triggered by egg-s-hell white.egg and hell are clearly defaming me.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ojWdwzF.jpg?1[/][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HQd8ioB.jpg?1[/]
    Pictured: Aldi has come under fire for the controversial and triggering name of its yellow coloured glossy paint.

(Coventry) - Aldi will change the name of its ‘rape yellow’ paint after a complaint from a sexual abuse victim.

The unfortunately titled paint is meant to be the colour of rapeseed flowers. Although the online name of the paint is ‘rapeseed yellow’, on the lids of the £4.99 tins it is shorted to just ‘rape yellow’.

The woman, in her 50s, told the paper: ‘I looked at the paint and thought it can’t possibly say that, you have got to be kidding me, there’s no way they would sell that. I started choking. ‘I got straight out of there. I was furious and upset.

“I contacted Aldi afterwards and they just assumed I was being sensitive because I was a rape victim.

An Aldi spokesman told Metro in a statement: ‘This paint is a colour widely referred to in the industry as ‘RAL 1021 Rape Yellow’, which refers to rapeseed.

‘The colour name will be altered to rapeseed yellow for all future production of this paint.’ However, the customer told the Telegraph she still wasn’t satisfied it had ever been sold. ‘You wouldn’t sell something called abortion red or poo brown. To me it’s the same thing, it’s offensive,’ she said.

‘It is a word that is a problem. How many other words can you think of for yellow without using that one?’

Sources:
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/25/aldi-w...ictim-5774746/
    http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...acc8fe14f8f741
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lt-victim.html
    Her logic hurts my head, shes comparing a flower to poop and abortion.

Might as well remove any color that relates to any race and any gender defining anything. Can't get people triggered now, can we?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Who cares about her ... obviously you have very vivid fantasy scenarios about how she is and how it went, but it's irrelevant. Completely missed the point, but who cares about making sense I guess, when you're busy being passionately offended.
    The point is it's a word, and that one single word made her(and you) have a complete meltdown. It's pathetic, shes emotionally a child that needs mental help and I'm guessing you would benefit from the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    The point is it's a word, and that one single word made her(and you) have a complete meltdown.
    Muahaha, yeah totally! Jeez, isn't anyone coming to pick this kid up?..

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    New Paint color: "Knightly White"
    I came to catch up this thread and was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Has anyone actually done this?
    I only see people characterizing the complaint one way or another.
    Don't mind Batman. He is just vehementlyAnti- 'Anti-PC Culture.'

Its a small thing to change it. If the store decided not to change it I wouldn't care either way but why not change it if it will spare someone's feelings?

The woman seems like a bitch to still be upset when the store has decided to change it. Its like she got her way but now needs something else to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Eh, I mean poor naming has a very long and storied history. E.g. the Nova which sold poorly in South America because "no va" in Spanish means "Doesn't go" (as in car doesn't work). Changing it sounds like no big deal honestly; a little PC? Sure, but I mean I can see why the fact the inside says "Rape yellow" might bother some people.
    This example doesn't really apply because you're not going from one language to another, but rather two different definitions of the same English word. One of the things people teach in 3rd frigging grade is to know that the meaning of words can change based on context. "Bear with me" doesn't mean there's a large forest creature sitting next to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I mean they could rename it Rapa or Rappi Yellow or something else entirely unrelated to the plant if they really want, and it would perhaps be the most prudent move, since it removes "rape" from the name entirely. Regardless, rapeseed at least does a better job of immediately indicating the name of the paint color has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with sexual assault. "Seed" has to be processed right alongside "rape." I really see no reason to think what you're saying about it being worse holds any merit whatsoever. As it not only requires them to make a more unlikely association, but then basically sit there and try to make it as bad as possible.

I guess also, just to rub the salt in (you're welcome), earlier you were saying that "rapeseed" is a modern name. However, OED has it documented as a closed compound word all the way back to 1707, so it really just seems you have no idea what you're talking about from start to finish, but instead are arguing largely based on the motivation to make this seem as ridiculous as possible due to whatever personal bias, while trying to pretend you're just being reasonable.

Really though, I hope you'll just stop repeating that same stupid argument.
    oh noes, making human beings use their equipped brains to figure out the contextual meaning of a word. too much effort!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hbpapa View Post
    i always thought fencing swords were way more rapier than the color yellow.
    ten points for gryffindor!

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    There's run away PC culture, and then there's run away anti-PC culture. This is an example of the latter. If your life is so completely miserable that you vehemently oppose the changing of the name on a paint can because some people are bothered by it, then there's little left to say.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    as a white person, who is bald, I'm deeply triggered by egg-s-hell white.egg and hell are clearly defaming me.
    When your heels are so deeply dug into the anti-PC side of this fight, I suppose hyperbolic failure of an analogy is the only way to go.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Can they not just add the "seed" part to rapeseed? I get that its going to cost 0.5 pence more to print each tin but I mean just leaving it at rape yellow is pretty weird.

Im very anti PC and if they were say trying to change to name of an already established thing like rapeseed then id be against it but changing the name or simply adding the seed part to the tin of paint is not really an issue to be argued.
    Last edited by MagicMert; 2016-03-28 at 07:55 PM.
    "We are not in Azeroth anymore"
    *1 months later*
    "We are back in Azeroth"

Deleted
    i hope her next boyfriend is a painter that would be the ulitimate topping to this topic