Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    She isn't starving at all?

As a matter of fact.. when she even hears the sound of the crumbs rumbling you will see
    her speed through the house and stop at nothing to get to the kitchen..
    The food is generally gone within 30 seconds ._.

Like I said before, if you never give them anything else from basically birth (a couple of weeks is np)
    they won't really know any better and just see that as their food source. Having absolutely no problem with it at all.
    Not talking specifically about you. I mean in general, I see no purpose in starving a dog if it legitimately doesn't want to eat its food. There are dogs who then acts petty and just wants something more for their food, I've tried that, and that doesn't take long to adress.

However, I have tried pets who refuse to eat for several days, in which case they're ill, or their food is shite and you need to change it.

At no point has starving the animal been suggested. You're bringing that in.

A dog will not starve, it will eat. It may prefer bacon cheeseburgers and it may refuse other food waiting for cheeseburgers if trained, but it will eat dry dog food if that is what's available after a reasonable time, and it won't be picky about it either.

The dog will not starve itself unless you starve it. As long as you are providing healthy food you are doing your job.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    At no point has starving the animal been suggested. You're bringing that in.

A dog will not starve, it will eat. It may prefer bacon cheeseburgers and it may refuse other food waiting for cheeseburgers if trained, but it will eat dry dog food if that is what's available after a reasonable time, and it won't be picky about it either.

The dog will not starve itself unless you starve it. As long as you are providing healthy food you are doing your job.
    That's kinda my point. The impression I get from some people here is just 'force the dog to eat what you want it to eat'. Haven't seen any limits on what people would set on how long they want to keep food from it, to force it to eat, so I'd equate it to starving it, which I find unethical, since I've had to deal with picky pets. There's ofc a limit between picky and petty, and pets do know the difference. My dog's a clever little bastard, and he will play up sometimes if he wants to, but I know when that behavior happens.

It's a balance thing.

Trick them. My dog used to be a dick about stuff because when my wife lived with her family they fed him scraps frequently. So what I would do is wait until feeding time, I don't let him graze all day, is take stuff out of the fridge like ketchup etc. Pick his bowl up fill in on the counter, put it down in front of him, then pick it back up and pretend to put shit in it and pretend like I ate it. Then set it back down and he'd think there was something in there new. Eat that shit up. They are waiting to eat after you as Alpha of the house. Because you feed them scraps they thinks it is common place. The food trigger isn't there without it.

I slowly weened him off this, but we also feed him small portions, like super small, of wet food on his dry. Or give him and egg as a special treat. A cap full of milk on the dry food helps him as well. But he'll eat just dry when we are all out.

Also, You can wait to feed them until the night and usually by then they'll eat whatever you put down in front of them.

Yeah they will. Just don't feed them anything else.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you should also designate an area for dogs to eat that isn't where you eat. They need to be trained that they can expect no food except where you feed them their own food. Never feed a dog in a dining room or kitchen where other food might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    \Haven't seen any limits on what people would set on how long they want to keep food from it, to force it to eat, so I'd equate it to starving it, which I find unethical, since I've had to deal with picky pets.
    You would be wrong.

Some flavor would go a long way.

We didn't feed our dog with dry food only (we actually bought him stuff from our local butcher every now and then), but what would always work is the following:

Wet the dog food a little with water and mix it with some meat paste (like liver sausage). It doesn't have to be much (a teaspoon), it doesn't have to be high class meat paste, just so the stuff gets some much needed flavor. Seriously, meat paste is like THE secret weapon when you own a dog, you should always have some at home and it's dirt cheap too! Use it when it comes to dry food, or nasty medicine, or just as a cheap treat when you have nothing else available.

Also another pro tip: prepare the dry dog food like I mentioned, and feed him from your hands. It works wonders when you want to bond with your dog, especially if you just got him/her.
    Last edited by Malacras; 2016-03-28 at 10:50 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haven't seen any limits on what people would set on how long they want to keep food from it, to force it to eat, so I'd equate it to starving it, which I find unethical, since I've had to deal with picky pets.
    Two days. That's the same amount of time I'd feel comfortable starving myself as well if I was being stupid.

If the dog doesn't like the food now it will as it grows accustomed to it. Just like humans. And as it learns that it isn't getting anything else but the dry food it stops the protesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    You own 3 dogs, but cannot afford wet dog food? This is really strange... Why did you decide to have 3 dogs then?
    some dogs won't eat wet dog food. i owned a dog that would just puke back up any wet dog food i fed him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Your concern should be nutritional value and overall health, the dog will eat dry food when s/he is hungry. Consider a doggie multivitamin. Familiarize yourself with the vitamins and minerals a dog needs in their daily diet. As others mentioned, consider adding a broth (particularly, a bone broth) or mixing the dog food with table scraps.

My dog gets a super high end dog food + human food on a regular basis. People complaining about "spoiling the dog": my dog not yours, I feel sorry for your dogs. That apparently have to eat the canine equivalent of Cheerios each day.
    well well well someone sure is being a dogfood snob today.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

If this hasn't been said yet you are a terrible beta owner. You're dogs are dictating what you do and not the other way around and that will lead to some bigger problems down the road like them fighting for dominance or biting people. As many people here have said just dont feed them anything else for a day or two and they will cave. Also only leave the food bowl on the ground for about 20 mins, if they dont eat the food within that time then remove it until the next feeding time. I used to put a little olive oil on my dogs food but you can also use fish oils and the such to add some flavor incentive for them if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

Quote Originally Posted by Richiebcfc25 View Post
    Ok iam at my wits end with my dogs

I feed them a huge bag of dry dog food but they simply will not touch it and i end up caving and giving them scraps from what i eat.

I know iam enabling them by doing that but i cant see them starve but i would love suggestions on how to make them eat dry dog food cause i own 3 dogs and i cant afford wet dog food.

I am very generous with the amount of dry dog food i give but they simply will not touch it and iam sick to death of the guilt trip i get from just eating my regular meals and i would really appreciate any suggestions.
    There is your problem right there...dogs are not stupid by far. They know that if they hold out, you will cave and give them the 'good stuff'. One of my parents dogs tries to pull the same crap. I just lock him in the laundry room (12 x 5 room...inb4 aminulz abuse QQ) until he eats his food. He will go lay by it and stare at you, but he will eventually eat it.

The reason I put the dog in the laundry room is because I do not want to listen to its whining/sighing or have it sit and stare at me like it is going to die if I don't feed it a table scrap.

Oh, and unless the dock is genuinely sick, they are not going to starve themselves...eventually their hunter (animal instincts) will take over and they will eat.

You can also try putting medium hot water (not burning hot, but not lukewarm) into the bowl with the food. Might help to get them to think they are getting something better.

Don't give them table scraps. Stick to the dry food, they will eat if you stop giving them ppl food. You might try making a gravy over the dry. There used to be brands that were made to add water to make a gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richiebcfc25 View Post
    Ok iam at my wits end with my dogs

I feed them a huge bag of dry dog food but they simply will not touch it and i end up caving and giving them scraps from what i eat.

I know iam enabling them by doing that but i cant see them starve but i would love suggestions on how to make them eat dry dog food cause i own 3 dogs and i cant afford wet dog food.

I am very generous with the amount of dry dog food i give but they simply will not touch it and iam sick to death of the guilt trip i get from just eating my regular meals and i would really appreciate any suggestions.
    Look into RAw diet recipes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Not sure if this is the case but, If you just give them food out, they might not be willing to eat because they do not find it rewarding. If you try to make them do something for a longer time period (like 20 minutes) and you put food as reward, they probably going to swallow it. I had similar issue with first dog and than she started to eat again.

I'm a pit-bull after all and hence, I have been blessed by dog food knowledge
    I raised bully breeds for 30 years. Only breed to have

You would be wrong.
    Would you care to state why I'm wrong?

Two days. That's the same amount of time I'd feel comfortable starving myself as well if I was being stupid.

If the dog doesn't like the food now it will as it grows accustomed to it. Just like humans. And as it learns that it isn't getting anything else but the dry food it stops the protesting.
    Ok.

Would you care to state why I'm wrong?\
    Because you are lacking in facts and a sensible approach to life.

oh one other thing did you bite them lightly on the ear to show them your the alpha male?

I don't blame them, I wouldn't eat dry dog food either.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Stop caving. If they're hungry long enough, they'll eat the damned dry food.
    This

Don't even bother they will eventually eat it.

Because you are lacking in facts and a sensible approach to life.
    Based on what exactly?