Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

The Apple Phone Hack Thing.

So I wake up today to find that the gov't has successfully hacked the San Bernadino terrorist's phone. This is the phone Apple fought tooth and nail not to open, privacy rights blah fuckedy blah.

Here's my question. Was it worth it?

Let's think hypothetically, what if this guy and his wife were part of a bigger terrorist ring based here in the US? What if cracking open his phone months ago would have stopped and led to the capture of the rest of this ring?

Now that we know that the government can and will get the information it seeks is it worth cockblocking them in the future?
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    They were no doubt already able to "hack" it.
    Did some people really think they weren't able to do so?

15+ Year Old Account
    They likely had the means to hack it all along, but it was an excellent flagship case to use to gain access to a universal apple-product key. The good old "we need this because terrorists".

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    So I wake up today to find that the gov't has successfully hacked the San Bernadino terrorist's phone. This is the phone Apple fought tooth and nail not to open, privacy rights blah fuckedy blah.

Let's think hypothetically, what if this guy and his wife were part of a bigger terrorist ring based here in the US? What if cracking open his phone months ago would have stopped and led to the capture of the rest of this ring?

Now that we know that the government can and will get the information it seeks is it worth cockblocking them in the future?
    did you really think they FBI could not or would not get into the phone? did you think Apples shit encryption could not be broken? they were trying to be cheap and take the easy route aka make apple do it for them instead of paying a third party or more likely pressuring a third party into doing it for them

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    did you really think they FBI could not or would not get into the phone? did you think Apples shit encryption could not be broken? they were trying to be cheap and take the easy route aka make apple do it for them instead of paying a third party or more likely pressuring a third party into doing it for them
    oh i knew eventually they'd get in. My question is more geared towards the was it worth it part.

we all knew they'd get in. its software, there is always a way in. We knew it, the FBI knew it, Apple knew it. So why delay the inevitable?

So why delay the inevitable?
    what reason do they have to help?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    If it really was just about this one phone from a terrorist, Apple wouldnt have gone though all this effort. Important is to google "precedent" to see how losing this case likely wouldve affected future cases. Already other law enforcement agencies have hundreds of other phones lined up that also needed to be unlocked. Another thing to take into consideration is that complying with the FBI would destroy their privacy argument when the russian or chinese government requires help to unlock a phone. Cooperating with the US but not with other countries where they sell their phones could hurt their profits. In the end i dont believe Apple directly cares about its phones perceived security or privacy, but about how these affect their profits.

I know there will be two sides to this, but to me Apple seems like a bunch of jackasses now. It was either a big publicity thing now or it was the guy at Apple being like a child and basically saying "No, I'm not sharing my crackers."

read that a couple times and itll make sense lol, dat coffee brain jolt

Deleted

You know what they're going to find on that phone? Pictures of the family pets, stuff he's recently had for dinner and posted on instagram and probably a few messages to his wife about how shitty his job is and that he genuinely feels like killing them all sometimes.
    Apart from the wacky office shooting shit, just a regular Joe with a regular Joe phone. Sure, they might find some evidence from his browsing history that he's been researching ISIS, and if they do then they will overplay that shit till they're red in the face: "SAN BERNARDINO MAN'S PHONE SHOWS REGULAR VISITS TO ISIS WEBSITES", but so fucking what? I've also visited these sites and I don't think I'm exactly a poster boy for extremism.
    I genuinely believe that there will be nothing genuinely related to acts of terrorism (premeditated or otherwise) on his phone, because I don't believe these two were extremists, just plain old garden variety wackjobs.

If you take their skin colour and religion out of the equation, these are just your typical American crazy-as-a-bag-of-hamsters gun toting nutbars. If the Husband and Wife were white Christians, there would be absolutely no suspicion of terrorism whatsoever. The dude shot up his own colleagues at an office function. What the fuck kind of terrorism related point is that trying to make?

Typical American fear-mongering and propaganda. With a little sprinkling of Terror-geddon.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would expect Apple to develop a newer iOS now. Obvious the current build is not failsafe, so they cannot advertise it longer als safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Apple should have helped them from day 1. We already have Constitutionally held privacy protections in place. A judge needs to issue a warrant in order for the FBI to access the information. No different than a bank account really.

- - - Updated - - -

A court order.
    Eat yo vegetables

At least according to Israeli news - Israel company/agency made it happen. I guess US should be glad they have a smart friend on their side and not lets say - China.

On other news - Israel and China are going to sign a free trade treaty. Hopefully soon, Israel can tell Europe to fuck off.

I'm glad Apple didn't cave to illegal mass data collection in this instance, being that they're now probably the only high-end American tech company that hasn't. (We know Microsoft installed the backdoors)

It'll probably help their sales a lot.

Very relevant video:

Why do dead mass murders have privacy rights in spite of a court order?

Deleted
    i dnt own a phone and im not from america so the NSA can suck my balls

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I'm glad Apple didn't cave to illegal mass data collection in this instance, being that they're now probably the only high-end American tech company that hasn't. (We know Microsoft installed the backdoors)

It'll probably help their sales a lot.
    How was this an example of "mass data collection"?
    Eat yo vegetables

Wrong question.

The government always had the ability to crack an iphone. There exist legitimate companies that can dump and restore the content of any electronic storage, allowing them an infinite amount of tries to unlock this phone. There exists mail-order pre-built devices that can use to hack, dump and jailbreak any iphone they want to in minutes. Your phone isn't secure the moment someone has it physically.

It would not have cost these companies or hobby hackers more than 10 minutes of work to crack the phone in question. If you go to youtube you can find a plethora of videos showing you how. And if these people can do it, it takes a whole new level of incompetency from a government agency dedicated to finding the truth using the latest technology - to not be able to do the same.

This was never about their ability to open a phone. They had that ability already. They chose to not use it in favour of politics. This is about they wanting the ability to snoop on any phone without having it physically. They wanted to open a security hole in every phone ever that they could exploit in order to enter any phone remotely, and do what they want on it.

This is a bad idea because:

- Within a week, everyone will be able to exploit that security hole, not just legal authorities. That includes both Chinese spies, trolls from Anonymous, and your vengeful girlfriend.
    - It does not stop a real criminal from using a dedicated encryption application adding real encryption on top of the now no longer natively "secure" iphone, mooting the entire FBI effort.

The people pushing this case knows this too. It's why the case is wrapped as a "get criminals" case rather than "would you mind if we made every phone ever completely open to hackers everywhere?". They know this won't fly if people understand the actual implications.

The question you should ask yourself is:
    Now that we know that the government can and will fuck you over in their bid for totalitarian power, is it worth cockblocking them now?
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    How was this an example of "mass data collection"?
    Asking for a software backdoor that can be accessed through wifi and uploaded to every single customer's cell phone.

Trying to play their request off as anything other than mass data collection is naive, and incorrect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Asking for a software backdoor that can be accessed through wifi and uploaded to every single customer's cell phone.

Trying to play their request off as anything other than mass data collection is naive, and incorrect.
    I see no reason for that level of distrust in this specific case. Two terrorists killed a bunch of people. The FBI retrieved their phone. They asked Apple for help in unlocking the phone, via court order. Everything was done legally. No one's privacy was wrongfully breached.
    Eat yo vegetables