Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DPS specs with the least amount of downtime on Alpha?

Okay, this is a bit of a broad question, but I'll ask and explain in the best way I can. I personally love fast paced specs (not insanely complicated) anyway you don't need to worry about that, but the main thing I've been trying to figure out is, which dps specs have the least amount of downtime?

I already have two classes I want to main in mind, which would be shaman and ret paladin. For shaman, either ele or enh (heard good things about those two), and for ret paladin, I've heard really good things about this recent build, and also watched Bellular's recent video on youtube about it. Seems like with the right talent set up, you can eliminate a giant amount of downtime for the spec.

Anyway, doesn't have to really be between those two classes or those specs, but I'm curious as to which specs have the least amount of downtime.

TLDR: Which specs have the least amount of downtime on alpha? Everything is subject to change, but it doesn't seem like rotations are going to be built from the ground up at this point. I'd prefer opinions about ret and ele/enh shaman, but anything is fine! This is mainly about pve.

Ranged and healers usually have no downtime at all. For melee, rogue maybe?

Deleted
    In my opinion it's Fury Warrior and looking at the Legion Alpha, it looks like Retribution Paladins have lots of downtime.
    Fury Warriors in WoD need their abilities to proc, without the procs they got lots of downtime aswell.

Coming to the least amount of downtime, I'm not really sure, lol.

Shadow priest is very fast paced with a 0.33 sec reduced global cooldown compared to most other specs on top of managing insanity and timing abilities to stay in void form. The spec is very fun.

demo is pretty crazy. basically the only downtime that spec has is life tap

Well Havoc technically has no downtime because you're spamming Demon's Bite. But it's not a really involved spec.

Enhancement has the most shit going on and there always seems to be a button to press.

Quote Originally Posted by Kretan View Post
    Shadow priest is very fast paced with a 0.33 sec reduced global cooldown compared to most other specs on top of managing insanity and timing abilities to stay in void form. The spec is very fun.
    Was looking into shadow, totally looks better than it was before. I love all the new additions and such, but I'm doing my best to stick with my mains that I've had throughout the years, although I might get my priest to 110 as an alt alt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Well Havoc technically has no downtime because you're spamming Demon's Bite. But it's not a really involved spec.

Enhancement has the most shit going on and there always seems to be a button to press.
    Enh is exactly what I've been looking into. Kinda want to roll with ret, but downtime is so present in that spec unless you take every talent that allows you to build up holy power, so you always have something to press but I'm not sure how that'll go. Demon hunters haven't really interested me that much, might level one in the future though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually the hybrids have no downtime as they have the best healing. Tanks definitely have no down time, especially DKs.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Have ret Paladins ever had downtime? They haven't in any recent incarnation. I can't remember the last time I had to drink, eat, or use a bandage.

Enhancement Shamans have absolutely no downtime. Shadow priest as well.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Have ret Paladins ever had downtime? They haven't in any recent incarnation. I can't remember the last time I had to drink, eat, or use a bandage.
    I think the op meant in their rotation, as in no point where you have nothing to press and have to wait a second or two for something to come off cool down or a resource to generate etc
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

By looking of it I don't see Ret's having any downtime. There is alot of options in Talent tree that gives faster gameplay

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

Enh also has an option to go non-GCD-capped. I'd say Marksman.

Does Monk have downtime ? It surely doesn't on live

Quote Originally Posted by Avikur View Post
    I think the op meant in their rotation, as in no point where you have nothing to press and have to wait a second or two for something to come off cool down or a resource to generate etc
    Which isn't really the common definition of downtime.

Moonkin would also be up there the way they work now. Most of their spells are either GCD long casts or instants, and caster specs in general always have to actively do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblider View Post
    Does Monk have downtime ? It surely doesn't on live
    They took out jab so yea theres a bit of downtime but not much. Its definetly not a button mash spec anymore tho

DHs have low downtime because their kills drop an orb that heals you for 25%. And surprisingly fire Mage I had a lot of fun playing keep away and soloing shit I shouldn't be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Usually the hybrids have no downtime as they have the best healing. Tanks definitely have no down time, especially DKs.
    Blood DK's are both designed to have downtime and from my experience have downtime.

@OP Enhancement is both by design and practice a 0 downtime spec - longterm and going into legion.

I'm assuming OP means in combat downtime and not out of combat downtime based on the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Which isn't really the common definition of downtime.
    Is it not? I haven't heard "downtime" used to refer to time between pulls in many years; it's been used to refer to empty GCDs for a long time, from my perspective.

OP defines 'downtime' as when you have no buttons to push, because everything is on CD and no procs are up.

Basically.. who always has a button to push in combat.

Hes not talking about 'downtime' with regards to time spent eating/drinking between mods and running back/forth.