Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gephyrophobia View Post
    No.. they aren't. I specifically play Horde because I see them as the band of misfit good guys and the alliance as a bunch of racist douchebags.
    And the Alliance, that has far more diversity in terms of cultures and religions, are a bunch of racist douchebags because of?

No.. they aren't. I specifically play Horde because I see them as the band of misfit good guys and the alliance as a bunch of racist douchebags.
    How are they misfit goodguys? Tauren and Pandaren are the only peaceful races on the Horde. The others are all described as holding hatred for every other race.

Except you know the Orcs, Troll's, Blood Elves and Undead are about as racist as any Alliance race thought about being.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft history's gone through some weird retconning between the actual Warcraft 1 and 2, Jeff Grubb's Last Guardian, Christie Golden's Rise of the Horde and the Tides of Darkness/Beyond the Dark Portal books. I haven't read it yet but I also heard Chronicle might bork around with the established timeline a bit too.

You really have to look at this as kind of an alternate history thing, not a faithful retelling of Warcraft 1. It's not WoD, but when they wrote the Warcraft 1 and 2 storylines there was no Durotan. Initially he was just a retconned macguffin in the Warcraft 3 manual to justify Thrall's existence.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    You really have to look at this as kind of an alternate history thing, not a faithful retelling of Warcraft 1. It's not WoD, but when they wrote the Warcraft 1 and 2 storylines there was no Durotan. Initially he was just a retconned macguffin in the Warcraft 3 manual to justify Thrall's existence.
    I'm not expecting faithful re-telling of WC1. However I wasn't expecting this sort of shitshow either where only defining value seems to be how brown the rain is and how much it smells.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    Read a book, Durotan was not a "Top Dog" of any Orc army. This is main Universe were talking about here not Warlords of Draenor nonsense. Durotan was one of the only or chieftains and refused to let his people drink of the blood of manaroth and as such was exiled but Gul'Dan who did not trust him. Orgrim Doomhammer was from another clan and was the second in command to Blackhand and he did not like black hand, Durotan and Orgrim were friends from childhood and even met and befriended Velen, until they ultimatley betrayed him by helping the orcs wipe out Telar and eventually Shattrath. Its all in the book Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden, its pretty good you should read it, its basically a prequel to this movie and will answer your questions.
    Wrong. This is cinematic universe. Not in-game universe. Shit is getting changed to fit into movie adaptation.

Short and skinny of it is as its always been, they both have the fore thought to realize they most likely can't win a war against the Humans, or if the do win they will be so badly hurt as a people it won't be worth it.
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    This movie is about the First War, right? The one where the orcs came storming through the Dark Portal in a demon fueled rage and murdered every human on sight? Why the hell are two of the top dogs in the army contemplating a treaty with the humans?
    Because they need to somehow show that the orcs aren't monsters. This whole movie is basically about whitewashing what the orcs did. "Not all of them are bad, and you are a racist if you think so!"

The movie is going to be power of friendship, we knew this since the announcement. *cough Metzen, so what else do you expect cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Araya View Post
    Short and skinny of it is as its always been, they both have the fore thought to realize they most likely can't win a war against the Humans, or if the do win they will be so badly hurt as a people it won't be worth it.
    But... They can win a war with the humans. During the first war the orcs took the humans completely by surprise and utterly destroyed the kingdom of Azeroth (now Stormwind). The humans had to flee to Lordaeron and prepare for the next attack.

I swear to God if this movie doesn't end with Stormwind destroyed and king Llane dead, I'm going to be so fucking pissed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just to clear one thing - how do you know that both Orgrim and Durotan are working with the humans? From all the trailers and tv spots all I can see is only Durotan speaking directly with the humans. In the latest "trailer" we can even see Orgrim asking Durotan "How can you side with the humans?". So probably Durotan acts on his own and is trying to end the war and the orcs' suffering in any way possible, or just to end Gul'dan's schemes

Orgrim seems skeptic but he seems open to the idea.

Meh at this point, I'm just gonna blame infinite dragonflight. We already know there's literally endless numbers of alternate universes (just look how they fucked around with everyone at the end of that War Crimes or whatever book when they started pulling alternate evil heroes and other stuff to aid in Garrosh's escape, hell all of WoD is in an alternate timeline), so even though I sure as hell won't be seeing this movie because it looks like crap, it can be reasoned with. Just point and blame the infinite dragonflight. We won't be getting a proper WCI movie, if anything it'll end with the birth and meeting of green Jesus and the most horrible WC character ever created, Med'an.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    If you're going to single-handedly blame Metzen for the direction the movie has taken, I'm not too worried about making exaggerations of my own. Duncan Jones was being advised by Chris Metzen, but you're giving the director too little credit if you don't think he had a hand to play in Durotan and Orgrim being 'good guys'. Without them, you may as well portray the whole movie from the perspective of the Alliance.
    "Metzen is writing the story but he's not to blame for the story!" I don't see how that in itself is an exaggeration.

Blizzard is calling the shots, they're fronting the funds and hiring the director. All three of them are to blame. That said Metzen is involved and the story is, as we both know, deviating far from the cannon universe. Which was my point to began with they're painting the orcs as noble savages. Not the genocidal invaders they are in official timeline. I get why they're doing it but I don't see how that makes my original answers disingenous.
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2016-03-30 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AgeOldGnomette View Post
    The incredibly dark tone pehaps and the really, really outdated telling of the story (The old lore which was essentially WH stuff) but strictly speaking the 'The Last Guardian' is the cannon retelling and is what I'm referring to. The warcraft movie only very loosely follows that story and incorporates a lot of 'revised' lore, big changes like the Frostwolf clan working along side the Alliance.

Lots of other details I consider crucial to the overarching theme and plot, i.e. Stormwind Keep and city being represented by the current in game version even though that makes little to no sense. Lothar being a man in his early twenties when he's meant to be in his fifties.. And so on. I can't say much with out giving major spoilers away, suffice to say it deviates from the official lore far to much in a hamfisted attempt to get Metzen's orc fetish across.
    Except it's not that far out there - the orcs already made agreements with humans in alterac, they are just merging it into one story for simplicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Except it's not that far out there - the orcs already made agreements with humans in alterac, they are just merging it into one story for simplicity.
    Making agreements with the humans of alterac during the First War is not 'far' out there?
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2016-03-30 at 09:55 AM.

Deleted
    Lothar and Durotan shall both be leading splinter groups trying to figure out something other than mutual massacring of the races. If you know your lore, you know what level of a miserable failure that will result in. The Razing of Stormwind is happening. Thrall is getting orphaned one way or another. This shit will be dark.

Also, why not join the main forum thread instead of making separate topics?

7+ Year Old Account
    I dont really have problems with how the movie tells its story, hell i can make stuff up if it wants, but there is one thing that i fear will be changed, and that is the greenish nature of the orcs. From what i have seen from the trailers, the movie is gonna make a big deal about this entire "drinking demon blood". In all of warcraft 1,2 and 3, the orcs are green. The mag'thar are even unique in WoW, when it comes to their skin colour and it helped set up a great orc racism thing in both TBC and MoP, but it is not something that should have an effect before that. So i really hope, that the movie ends with all the battling orcs being green. If they aren't, then i will have a hard time taking the story serious....

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    This movie is about the First War, right? The one where the orcs came storming through the Dark Portal in a demon fueled rage and murdered every human on sight? Why the hell are two of the top dogs in the army contemplating a treaty with the humans?
    because movie is gonna be crap and blizzard dont care about their original lore?! fcing bullshit. seriously they never even spoke with humans. they learned their language years later so they couldent even communicate here... durotan told orgrim about guldans treason soon before his death. and after that orgrim took controll over horde. but here..its all crap.

- - - Updated - - -

ppl! if u havent read warcraft books then u have no clue about all the movies bullshit!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AgeOldGnomette View Post
    Making agreements with the humans of alterac in the First War is not 'far' out there?
    While it was for different reasons, yes this already happened in the second war. It set's a precedent that they can negotiate with eachother.

However, the start of the Second War favored the orcs, and the future looked grim for the Alliance. Fearing for his kingdom should the Alliance fail, Lord Perenolde collaborated with the Orcish Horde, supplying them with information in exchange for the survival of the kingdom.
    @bison91 see quote, this happened in the Tides of Darkness book you claim everyone should read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."