Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    To be honest, I think gives a basic, but decent introduction to the topic. I'm actually surprised MTV had any hand in this.
    That is probably the worst way to go about introducing the topic.
    The video is trying to dismantle criticism. The subset of faulty -in their view- criticism.
    It makes the assumption that it actually makes sense in the first place, and that viewers are familiarized with the talking points.
    That is not introducing or even explaining the thing. It's preaching to the converted to offer counter-arguments. Or, alternatively, chastising the critics in a simple strawman, de-contextualizing their position.

It's tailored to the people who've marinated for long in the exchange. Specifically in the lowest tier of the kulturkampf (independently of what "side" one takes).

But it's great to appreciate how shallow and casually prescriptive proponents can be.

Which is not to say the exploration is invalid.
    It does have an extensive academic background in the Marxist exploration of class struggles and power structures. Heck it's even got a centuries-old pejorative all for itself: kitsch.
    But, as is often the case, it easily transforms in an instrument of hatred and abuse. Individual hatred, no less.
    Just like some imbeciles request "x privilege" to be recognized by individuals. Failing to understand that these effects are explored on the collective/class level to distinguish the dominant from the oppressed.
    Exactly like some others outline cultural appropriation as group effect, yet request the individual a certain arbitrary way to explore the culture of "the other".
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-03-30 at 11:32 AM.

Im not sure whats worse, The fact that this seems to be legit and not as staged as the video makes it
    http://news.sfsu.edu/news/releases/s...ampus-incident
    Or the fact that some people here seem to be defending / excusing this womans behavior. Don't get me wrong I hate dreadlocks on white guys too it looks fucking stupid but its not a reason to threaten both cut someones hair against their will or attempt to attack them in any way.
    "We are not in Azeroth anymore"
    *1 months later*
    "We are back in Azeroth"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMert View Post
    Im not sure whats worse, The fact that this seems to be legit and not as staged as the video makes it
    http://news.sfsu.edu/news/releases/s...ampus-incident
    Or the fact that some people here seem to be defending / excusing this womans behavior. Don't get me wrong I hate dreadlocks on white guys too it looks fucking stupid but its not a reason to threaten both cut someones hair against their will or attempt to attack them in any way.
    Just gonna put this on here for reference, good to know who was quick to call it fake the moment it was posted up:

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Yes, this totally doesn't look fake and enacted at all
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    People believe whatever is put on YouTube now? Looks like a poorly acted skit. Maybe she is the fashion police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    It looks like it was faked, as in acting not actually happening, in all honesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    They are just playing, it is clear from the way they act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Breaking news! A university somewhere has two stupid students. Update at 11.

Also, it looks so staged, I call class project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Betting this thread will reach 15 pages even though this garbage is fake.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-03-30 at 12:04 PM.

Deleted
    Still convinced it's fake.
    They are both terrible actors AND she's freaking smiling at the camera she doesn't know is there.

The university believing it was real doesn't make it any less fake.
    O No! Racism against a white guy - must be fake.

Deleted
    Still convinced it's fake.
    They are both terrible actors AND she's freaking smiling at the camera she doesn't know is there.

The university believing it was real doesn't make it any less fake.
    It's possible. But that you immediately assumed it was fake - and still do - says a lot about your worldview.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's possible. But that you immediately assumed it was fake - and still do - says a lot about your worldview.
    Settle down Xarim.

Me saying it's fake and agreeing with the nuts that you criticize all the time are two very distinct things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Settle down Xarim.

Me saying it's fake and agreeing with the nuts that you criticize all the time are two very distinct things.
    My bad, just copy pasting randomly

Not that practised with forum-copy-pasting stuff

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    "alpha up" might be one of the cringiest things I've ever read.
    He means do not let someone bully you.

Deleted
    "SJW's have gone too far"

No shit, that's the very definition of a SJW.

This guy needs to stop oppressing people with his hair.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks really fake.

do the people whining about "cultural appropriation" know that America is a melting pot of cultures and traditions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry about that, should have looked at the back of the thread before closing it. I'll paste the video into the first post so people know what is being discussed. Carry on.

Deleted
    You're one to talk about a lack of self-awareness.
    Right back 'atcha

It doesn't really move the debate forward, but let's play that game

OK, so what do you suggest? I mean, yeah, it's seeking to dismantle criticism, but it's still explaining the basic points and going out of its way to assure people that it's not trying to stop them from doing stuff, which preempts highly predictable questions. I looked around for some other sources, but nothing else actually seemed to explain it more, though some were more verbose in explaining the same stuff. They also tended to be less reassuring and hand-holdy, which is something to avoid when introducing someone to this stuff, since people tend to get real upset in a hurry for whatever reason.
    I suggest reading Antonio Gramsci (the prison essays, specifically, on the topic of cultural hegemony) directly instead of beating around the bush.
    Using specific wording. It's not just offense what the receiving end experiences: it's alienation -in Marxist fashion- from their own cultural product.
    And entirely dropping two bits:
    -The faux reassurance: it is explicitly trying to direct behavior around cultural exchange.
    -The condescending assumption that folks are not aware of what it's all about. Independently of how intelligently they can structure their opposition, the analysis of asymmetrical treatment of minority cultures/demographics/classes is deeply embedded in western thought: people understand it perfectly because we're exposed to this line of thinking since childhood.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-03-30 at 03:07 PM.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Just gonna put this on here for reference, good to know who was quick to call it fake the moment it was posted up:
    I saw the video, it does look staged, that's all that really needs to be said on that. In all honesty, I'd like to see how it's a statement of actual events and not just something cut together by kids in college and posted online.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    I saw the video, it does look staged, that's all that really needs to be said on that. In all honesty, I'd like to see how it's a statement of actual events and not just something cut together by kids in college and posted online.
    If it is staged, what do you think their motivation is for making this video?

This story is now trending on Facebook yay and stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

I think you answered your on question there.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

If motivation for making fiction is enough to condemn people, then we're all in serious shit.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!