Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Question Is it morally wrong to.....

Is it morally wrong to sell a fridge that was given to me & my roommate because of a government program and pocket the sold-for amount?

Backstory:
    Moved into this apartment with a friend of mine. I bought a cheap fridge that I found on Craigslist for $80 to hold us over until we could afford a better one (we planned on spending $2-300 and buying a used one again). I found a government program that was offered from the electric company that would provide to you a new energy efficient if you happened to qualify for it. We qualified and got a new Whirlpool Energy Star fridge. Fast forward 6 months and my friend meets this guy on match.com and on her first date decides she's moving in with the guy (whole other story there) and leaves me high & dry. She said she'd pay her half of the rent for 4 months but would stop paying for the cable/internet, gas, and electric since she would not be there using them. Electric & cable/internet was in her name but she expected me to pay her when she came back to pay rent. I decided to instead of staying here & finding a roommate to take her spot to just find a place renting a room & move in there. I couldn't afford to pay for all of the cable/internet, my half of the rent, all of the food for myself for the month, gas, and electric for a couple months which is why I found a room to rent. I posted the fridge up for sale on Craigslist and on some buy/sell/trade groups on Facebook and will be selling it today to someone from Facebook or a family friend who said he'd buy it if that other guy doesn't want it. So that brings me to the point is, should I give her half of what I got for the fridge or is it ok to take the full amount for myself?

Don't live with wak people who could get boyfriends.

Basically don't be friends with a woman you ain't floopping.

When you're poor dint even worry about morality having enough money to pay bills is more important.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2016-03-30 at 05:02 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Its probably objectively morally wrong, but starving also sucks a lot. Sometimes you have to make a trade-off between the best of bad decisions.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Don't live with wak people who could get boyfriends.

Basically don't be friends with a woman you ain't floopping
    Well then I would never be friends with any woman (hint hint look at the user name lol)

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    on her first date decides she's moving in with the guy
    Whenever he refers to his Dick, he had better always capitalize it. That's some powerful stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Well then I would never be friends with any woman (hint hint look at the user name lol)
    Don't live with stupid either way.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, what's the alternative, mailing the IRS a cheque?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    Wait, what's the alternative, mailing the IRS a cheque?
    The alternative to pocketing the whole amount is splitting it with her.

10+ Year Old Account
    The alternative to pocketing the whole amount is splitting it with her.
    Oh, then yeah don't do that, she obviously isn't interested in making sure things are good with you since she gave you such small notice. You apparently need the money so keep it.

Is there a chance that some government inspector could come by and ask to see the refrigerator?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Is there a chance that some government inspector could come by and ask to see the refrigerator?
    None. The fridge is yours to do as you please once they give it to you. They don't monitor it.

None. The fridge is yours to do as you please once they give it to you. They don't monitor it.
    I mean... if you didn't violate any kind of agreement with the energy company in doing so, and you really are hard up for cash and need the money for food and utilities (and not cigarettes or something like that) I mean.. I guess it's okay.

EDIT: The situation is kind of alien though, because here it's mandatory for landlords to supply a working refrigerator. And it's customary for major appliances such as fridges and stoves to be included as part of a home sale.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-03-30 at 06:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Read trough the whole post thinking you were worried about taking the fridge which was government funded...

You could have made it a lot shorter and more on the point. So the bottom line is, your idea to apply for the fridge deal and you paid for the cheaper fridge as well? Keep the money yourself. (if, however, it was partly her idea as well / her money, then split it)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Inform her she can get her deposit back on her cable and electric. And that you are moving out of the apartment. Don't bother giving her half of the refrigerator as she abandoned it. You are saving her half the rent on the apartment for the rest of your lease. This should be enough savings for her.

Have fun at your next apartment.

It's a crime in a lot of cases to sell goods purchased/received from government assistance programs. Double check that it isn't, and if it is, be careful selling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Deleted
    Did you pay anything for that fridge? If so: who paid?

If you got that fridge for free and it was your idea to get it that way i would keep the money to myself.

It's free to do with as you please... sounds like you know the answer to "can I sell it".

The second question is "Should I split the money with her?". My vote? No... She gave you no notice and no chance to find a replacement roomie... not that you can always give a 30 day notice on stuff, but that's why deposits - and losing those deposits - are important. Now, you either have to find a new roommate on short notice or move... either costs money (Time is money).

The morality of this? Not sure... you needed help and got it... that help became unneeded and the choice would be leave it, trash it or sell it... you didn't steal it... you didn't dump it in the ocean killing poor baby seals... you didn't fund a terrorist organization with the illgotten gains... As long as it doesn't become a habit - like... "needing" food money and then buying a TV with food stamps... I would vote "nothing to worry about" this time.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Sell it.

Her loss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlefreak View Post
    Did you pay anything for that fridge? If so: who paid?

If you got that fridge for free and it was your idea to get it that way i would keep the money to myself.
    I paid 100% of the initial fridge we had when we moved in. Her name was on the electric bill which I paid half of each month and her account was what got us the fridge I told her to apply for. We technically didn't pay for the current fridge but the program we got approved for removed our old fridge and gave us the new one.

And @Gheld its not required for landlords to supply fridges where I'm at. In fact, most apartments and houses for rent here don't come with them. Some neighboring towns are different & you can't rent a place without one due to supply and demand.