Thread: [Music] Metal

Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished the new AA album. Jesus christ. What a step up for the narrative-aspect for death metal as a whole. Musically it's just another Amon Amarth album, but if you actually pay attention to the story and the lyrics.. I got some fucking chills man.
    -----------------------------------------------
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

I just finished it as well, it was pretty run of the mill Amon Amarth. Enjoyable, nothing surprising. A Dream that Cannot Be is the worst AA song ever written by a very large margin. I'll probably give it another spin, but this probably won't be an AA album I come back to after a few initial listens.

Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    I just finished it as well, it was pretty run of the mill Amon Amarth. Enjoyable, nothing surprising. A Dream that Cannot Be is the worst AA song ever written by a very large margin. I'll probably give it another spin, but this probably won't be an AA album I come back to after a few initial listens.
    If you think it's the worst song every written, then it's quite apparent that you didn't follow the story of the album.
    -----------------------------------------------
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

I was pretty meh on the new Amon Amarth. It's more in the direction of Surtur Rising/Twilight of the Thunder God than the good stuff. The chorus are really big and sing-songy on the new record- I dislike this style. Some of the riffs are pretty exciting though.

It's not awful but super mediocre.

Still excited to see AA next month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Listing to Adagio's Underworld today. I have to be honest, despite the retarded dumb instrumental progressions that lead absolutely nowhere and the horrid ballad that sounds as cheesy as something Tobias Sammet would've written, I still love this album. Whoever plays the keyboard/Piano for this record is a God because there are so many parts in this album that are carried by the amazing piano/keyboard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaemeson Foster View Post
    If you think it's the worst song every written, then it's quite apparent that you didn't follow the story of the album.
    I'm not talking about it as part of the concept album, I'm saying as a standalone song it is horrible. Terrible instrumentals, and the female vocals sound like they took her first take and didn't even bother trying to mix them in. It was an incredibly mediocre AA album, but was still worth the listen. That particular song was the low point, by far.

I'm not talking about it as part of the concept album, I'm saying as a standalone song it is horrible. Terrible instrumentals, and the female vocals sound like they took her first take and didn't even bother trying to mix them in. It was an incredibly mediocre AA album, but was still worth the listen. That particular song was the low point, by far.
    Yea, I agree with this too. Worst song on the album in performance and structure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess I can count myself lucky then in having zero interest in checking out the new Amon Amarth.

You know you're getting old when modern music just sounds so damned boring and souless! But it's fine, I'm not the target audience for most of the stuff you peeps are raving about, it's not aimed at old farts like me.

However I have to say some of the old-school bands are releasing some excellent albums in the last few years, the latest of which came out on Friday - Metal Church "XI". Classic American power metal with the return of one of the greatest vocalists in the business, Mike Howe. Check 'em out if you've never heard 'em, I highly recommend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's have a listen. Quite liked their previous outings, but not sure how the new one with end up sounding with the change in vocalist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone listened to the new Rhapsody of Fire yet? I just picked it up but haven't had the chance to spin it yet.

Not super new (a couple months I think), but the new Primal Fear is pretty solid. I'm glad they are back to writing decent songs. I was thinking they were going to blow it when they came out with three stinkers in a row (Seven Seals, New Religion and 16.6, IMO). Psyched to see them with Luca Turilli in a couple months.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2016-03-30 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added a third album to PF's "stinkers" list

10+ Year Old Account
    The new Moonsorrow album shot straight to AOTY. I missed these guys and their exceptional ability to always deliver.

Edit: also very excited about these guys as well. The first track is monumental.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-03-29 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably was posted when it originally came out, but just been going back to a bunch of good releases.

2016 is kind of off to a slow start. I guess we've been spoiled the past couple of years.

Have some good ole fashioned Swedeath/HM-2 worship:

https://interment666.bandcamp.com/tr...-of-the-buried

10+ Year Old Account
    If only it had better production quality...

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Has anyone listened to the new Rhapsody of Fire yet? I just picked it up but haven't had the chance to spin it yet.

Not super new (a couple months I think), but the new Primal Fear is pretty solid. I'm glad they are back to writing decent songs. I was thinking they were going to blow it when they came out with two stinkers in a row (Seven Seals and New Religion, IMO). Psyched to see them with Luca Turilli in a couple months.
    Yeah new RoF was good. New Avantasia was better and is my power metal AOTYSF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyn View Post
    If only it had better production quality...

I like this album way more than anything Lamb of God ever put out.

Also question for you guys, how many new albums do you listen to a day? I'll spin a couple albums that I have heard before and enjoyed, or ones that I haven't fully formulated an opinion on, every day but then I'll move on to music I haven't heard for a majority of my work shift.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I've got to admit, I have been slightly dissatisfied with a lot of metal that has come out. I am going back through and, maybe its because I am aging beyond it, I am finding that the screaming just doesn't do much for me anymore. That being said, I have been listening to the following more recently:

Katatonia
    Finsterforst
    Riverside
    Stealing Axion
    Vanden Plas (part I) Vanden Plas (part II)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I've got to admit, I have been slightly dissatisfied with a lot of metal that has come out. I am going back through and, maybe its because I am aging beyond it, I am finding that the screaming just doesn't do much for me anymore. That being said, I have been listening to the following more recently:

Katatonia
    Finsterforst
    Riverside
    Stealing Axion
    gotta go back and listen to that old school kvlt trve BM, brah. Shrieking is good for your soul.
    I'm getting down to some black metal again after taking a break from it and it's hitting me like a ton of bricks, I love this feeling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post

I can't really understand your "complaint", though. Screaming, growling, whatever it might be is just another way to sing for me, so I don't pay too much attention to whether or not the music I listen to has it. Some vocalists do it for me and some don't.
    Goofy cleans are more off putting to me than any harsh vocal style could ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post

Katatonia
    Finsterforst
    Riverside
    Stealing Axion
    I'm seeing this too, though don't feel I'm aging beyond it I end up just thinking the older bands are better, or for those still around that I listen to their earlier stuff is more my style. I've always been picky so that's still in effect but I'll listen to new stuff now and get bored real fast. It seems to me that too many projects are just going through the motions.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Also question for you guys, how many new albums do you listen to a day? I'll spin a couple albums that I have heard before and enjoyed, or ones that I haven't fully formulated an opinion on, every day but then I'll move on to music I haven't heard for a majority of my work shift.
    A day? One? At most? But it varies a lot. I don't particularly seek out new albums, but won't shy away from them as well. If there's 5 new interesting albums popping up in a single day, I'll listen to them over the course of that day or the next. If not, then no biggy.