Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is Blizzard one of the only companies to remove content from their game?

I don't understand why they do this. I understand they like "prestige" and "I was there", but there are better ways of doing this than just removing content altogether. I don't think it's ever a good idea to just simply remove something, especially considering the game does not benefit from it at all and there is less content to do for people who are both new to the game or haven't experienced those things yet.

Over the years they have removed raids, dungeons, CMs, quests, parts of the world, items, and even game system stuff like old talents, pets, mounts and ui stuff.

They should just keep the content in the game and just award titles and feats of strength to prove the "I was there" mentality.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think what they remove is such a small part of what they keep that there is no big deal to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know of no dungeons they've ever removed, and they've only removed three raids from the game, all of which were brought back as raids or dungeons later.

What pets or mounts were removed?

Challenge modes aren't removed, but the earlier ones are closed simply because it makes no sense to have a timed dungeon based on current gear, stats, and abilities usable by people 10, 20, 30 levels higher with new abilities that can prove dungeon-breaking.

As for the rest of it, well, every game changes. SWTOR overhauled its talent system, for instance.

ArenaNet and Guild Wars 2 removes content, a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of games do timed exclusive gear appearances and events for instance.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, they are not. Tera Online removed the original starting content and recently turn the area into an end game zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I know of no dungeons they've ever removed, and they've only removed three raids from the game, all of which were brought back as raids or dungeons later.

What pets or mounts were removed?

Challenge modes aren't removed, but the earlier ones are closed simply because it makes no sense to have a timed dungeon based on current gear, stats, and abilities usable by people 10, 20, 30 levels higher with new abilities that can prove dungeon-breaking.

As for the rest of it, well, every game changes. SWTOR overhauled its talent system, for instance.
    Old iterations of dungeons are gone, like Scholomance.

Pets removed, there are many unavailable, mounts a lot too like the plagued proto drake.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

There are a bunch of achievements for feats of removed items. The reason they remove many items is because they relate to old systems that no longer run in the game. Or the content has expired story wise. WoW as a story telling platform is incredibly difficult to manage, you can't have Hogger out in the woods and in an instance at the same time. Characters you are sent to kill in Vanilla still existing in game is breaking the story. They do their best to keep pushing the story forward while the world we inhabit really doesn't change much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    Old iterations of dungeons are gone, like Scholomance.

Pets removed, there are many unavailable, mounts a lot too like the plagued proto drake.
    They've updated dungeons. None were removed. That's not the same thing. Some were retuned for a higher level, but they're all still there and can be accessed at low-level, too.

A mount or pet being unavailable now is, again, not removing it. The source drop may be gone, but they didn't take it away from the thousands, if not millions of players who already got it.

Not removed, but no longer obtainable:
    Amani War Bear
    Plagued Proto Drake
    Raptor mount from original ZG
    Tiger from original ZG is only BMAH now
    T3 only from BMAH
    Dungeon set 1 and 2 gone except transmog skins (Lost all the quests etc associated).
    Lots of old vanilla recipes are gone.
    Atiesh no longer possible to get.
    Dozens of transmog and sets are gone from the revamped scholo/strat/BRD etc.

Scenarios essentially removed (can only do them at level 90 so would need to stop your experience gain, and hope that for some reason someone else is queuing or level with 2 other friends).

Pets, tabards etc from special events (Olympic event had a pet and tabard for example).

Whilst I dont mind with some of it being changed, it should mostly be put back into another source to get.
    Last edited by Dazu; 2016-03-30 at 08:14 PM.

They've updated dungeons. None were removed.
    About 2/3 of Sunken Temple was removed.

7+ Year Old Account
    I remember only one mount being removed, plagued proto drake from naxx. Blizz later stated that they regret that move.

Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    Which was a great idea IMO. Old Scholo and Sunken were a mess, "wth should I go" type of dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    Yes. It was pruned and updated. The dungeon itself is still there, and the main bosses are still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    ArenaNet and Guild Wars 2 removes content, a lot.
    Yeah, like, a lot a lot. Or they put it on their cash store, I think? I've missed a ton of content because I play GW2 so rarely.

Deleted
    Yes. It was pruned and updated. The dungeon itself is still there, and the main bosses are still available.
    Are you trying to evade sense on purpose?

These 'revamped' dungeons are nothing like the old ones.

Half of the dungeon's former interiors in the case of Scholomance for example are no longer present.

They removed half of the dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    I remember only one mount being removed, plagued proto drake from naxx. Blizz later stated that they regret that move.

Which was a great idea IMO. Old Scholo and Sunken were a mess, "wth should I go" type of dungeons.
    ST may have been whacky but Scholo was the greatest instance ever. I remember running it 24 times in one night because I was spamming kirtonos for the boots of valor on my warrior . If the group wanted to clear the whole thing we did, and if not we cleared kirtonos and then reset.

I really miss non-linear dungeons that had that amazing immersion factor. I wouldn't want something as crazy as BRD or ST again, but I think scholo was pretty close to "just right".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Are you trying to evade sense on purpose?

These 'revamped' dungeons are nothing like the old ones.

Half of the dungeon's former interiors in the case of Scholomance for example are no longer present.

They removed half of the dungeon.
    The original dungeons were not removed, they were revamped and retuned to fit a different direction for the game. Are they the same? No. Are they gone? No.

Deleted
    The original dungeons were not removed, they were revamped and retuned to fit a different direction for the game. Are they the same? No. Are they gone? No.
    The dungeons that they used to be are gone.

If one wants to play them like they used to be (better imo) you can't. Thus it is removed content for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The dungeons that they used to be are gone.

If one wants to play them like they used to be (better imo) you can't. Thus it is removed content for me.
    Watered down, perhaps. They aren't technically "removed".

I do share your sentiment, though. Scholo now pales compared to the original with all of the extra bosses (that could be skipped if people wanted to). Not to mention the good ol' Sawbones Shirt being removed. Yeah, I've seen it on BMAH. I'm bitter I deleted a seldom played warrior alt that had one of those shirts pre-MoP.

ZA and ZG being turned into 5 mans stung a bit. But I suppose at least they were put back into the game. But at one point they were an answer to "Since when did Blizz remove content?". Even with their return as 5 mans, the old Zandalari rep (and items) are no longer available.

Deleted
    I actually have the shirt on some rogue alt I never play.

Yay for me.