Thread: Cats

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

I love my silly Siamese. She's 18, and still doing pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    This is my cat, Doggie, he is 17 years old. He's been a bit sick lately, we finally figured out the problem. He has been losing weight for months now, constantly throwing up, drinking lots of water, etc. Took him to the vet, ran several tests, finally pinned it down. He has a thyroid issue. This is completely treatable by medication, so if you have an older cat (13 years +) and they are doing the following, please take it to a vet quickly.

Symptoms:

weight loss
    drinking excessive amounts of water
    throwing up - not hairballs, food
    night yowling
    lethargic
    constant pupil dilation
    This 1000x. My cat has a thyroid issue and these are the exact symptoms.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Adopted 2 cats. They're awesome pets as they're low maintenance. But totally endearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    It can be for sure. That's actually part of the story behind how I got my cat. The lady who rescued her(and her litter of kittens) rescued her from another shelter because they were going to put them all to sleep because they thought no one would adopt a solid black cat because of it being bad luck, the devil's cat, etc. She adopted off all the kittens before I adopted her proving them wrong.

Bombays are a special combination of black Burmese cats and American Shorthairs and are really amazingly sweet cats who only get a bad rap due to ancient superstitions.
    What a lovely happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post

I love my silly Siamese. She's 18, and still doing pretty well.

This 1000x. My cat has a thyroid issue and these are the exact symptoms.
    Did you take your furbaby to a vet and are they on medication as well? Ours is on a liquid medication he has to take twice a day and prescription food. Food is 30 bucks a bag, crazy. However, we have seen progress, he just had a re-check 2 days ago and his thyroid lvls are going down, which is a good sign. The doctor said there is a good chance his condition can be treated by the prescribed food.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

This is my cat, Doggie, he is 17 years old. He's been a bit sick lately, we finally figured out the problem. He has been losing weight for months now, constantly throwing up, drinking lots of water, etc. Took him to the vet, ran several tests, finally pinned it down. He has a thyroid issue. This is completely treatable by medication, so if you have an older cat (13 years +) and they are doing the following, please take it to a vet quickly.

Symptoms:

weight loss
    drinking excessive amounts of water
    throwing up - not hairballs, food
    night yowling
    lethargic
    constant pupil dilation
    My Uncle had 2 cats and one had a lot of the symptoms you listed while the other was perfectly healthy. Then the healthy one passed away (they were both 17) and the other one recovered almost overnight, lived to be 22 or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No one checks on her, she's not allowed outside and we only have one cat. I leave two fresh litter boxes out for her to use and plenty of food and water. She's always been fine.

I didn't want her. I'm not fond of cats. When my daughter was about to have her 6th Birthday, my dumbass mother-in-law asked her what she wanted, and my daughter told her a white kitten. She then took it upon herself to buy her a kitten in NY and travel to our home (in another state) to give my daughter this kitten for her Birthday, WITHOUT telling us.

I didn't have the heart to take the kitten from my daughter, since she always wanted one. So, now almost 4 years later, I'm still stuck with this damn cat.
    You've got 16 years to go then.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I currently have three. Midnight, Buddy and Don, they like to help when I'm on the computer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You've got 16 years to go then.
    less than that you really think a cat will live 16 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    My Uncle had 2 cats and one had a lot of the symptoms you listed while the other was perfectly healthy. Then the healthy one passed away (they were both 17) and the other one recovered almost overnight, lived to be 22 or so.
    So sorry they passed. But wow, 22! The vet told me mine should live beyond his 20s. Only time will tell.

Deleted
    Ugh.... I know.
    Haha you're like a furry evil step-mom now.

No one checks on her, she's not allowed outside and we only have one cat. I leave two fresh litter boxes out for her to use and plenty of food and water. She's always been fine.

I didn't want her. I'm not fond of cats. When my daughter was about to have her 6th Birthday, my dumbass mother-in-law asked her what she wanted, and my daughter told her a white kitten. She then took it upon herself to buy her a kitten in NY and travel to our home (in another state) to give my daughter this kitten for her Birthday, WITHOUT telling us.

I didn't have the heart to take the kitten from my daughter, since she always wanted one. So, now almost 4 years later, I'm still stuck with this damn cat.
    That still doesn't explain why you leave the cat alone for half a month but...okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    cats are known to live 20+ years so 16 is quite common I would guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    cats are known to live 20+ years so 16 is quite common I would guess...
    not if she keeps leaving it alone stuck inside 4 walls for 2weeks at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    That still doesn't explain why you leave the cat alone for half a month but...okay.
    Cats can do remarkably well alone for a couple weeks. We went to FL on vacation for a week. We left plenty of food and water - in different rooms. They have 3 litter boxes, one of which is one of those stupid automatic ones (hate it). We left water in the sinks and tubs and left a TV on in one room and a radio on in another.

So not a big deal.

So are these self cleaning litter boxes any good? I would love to not have to clean that thing out every day. This cat, she will be outside, ask to come in, use the litter box and then go right back outside.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Did you take your furbaby to a vet and are they on medication as well? Ours is on a liquid medication he has to take twice a day and prescription food. Food is 30 bucks a bag, crazy. However, we have seen progress, he just had a re-check 2 days ago and his thyroid lvls are going down, which is a good sign. The doctor said there is a good chance his condition can be treated by the prescribed food.
    We did radioactive iodine therapy. Curative in 95% of hyperthyroidism in cats. Expensive, but an actual cure.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    Psh, mine's 18 and just fine. Vet thinks she should live well past 20.
    Last edited by Annoying; 2016-03-30 at 10:47 PM.

I'm lucky enough that she really only prefers the company of my daughter. She took a swipe at my mother-in-laws annoying chihuahua when he wondered upstairs into my daughters room, so that was cool of her.

- - - Updated - - -

Cause cats do fine on their own. You also asked me "why have a pet" so I went into it a bit for you.

- - - Updated - - -

My house is 2600 sq feet. She'll be fine when I go to visit my family every 4 or 5 months.
    Cats and Chihuahuas really don't get along very well, stupid dog is generally too aggressive and cats are too vindictive for that to ever be a friendly situation.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    I'm lucky enough that she really only prefers the company of my daughter. She took a swipe at my mother-in-laws annoying chihuahua when he wondered upstairs into my daughters room, so that was cool of her.

- - - Updated - - -

Cause cats do fine on their own. You also asked me "why have a pet" so I went into it a bit for you.

- - - Updated - - -

My house is 2600 sq feet. She'll be fine when I go to visit my family every 4 or 5 months.
    whats the point even having a pet if your always away from home

10+ Year Old Account
    You must be kidding.... because the internet doesn't have enough cat garbage right

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    So are these self cleaning litter boxes any good? I would love to not have to clean that thing out every day. This cat, she will be outside, ask to come in, use the litter box and then go right back outside.
    I think it's horrible. Piece of shit, quite literally. It constantly gets shit caught in it. Not worth the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    We did radioactive iodine therapy. Curative in 95% of hyperthyroidism in cats. Expensive, but an actual cure.
    They didn't tell me about this option, I should ask, how expensive is it? If you don't mind me asking.