Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's definitely not too late. The one advice I can give you though is to only focus on the main story quest on your main class/job. If you get to a point where you're too low level to continue the main story quest, do your hunting log, some dungeon runs, some fates (dynamic events in the world) or levequests (repeatable quests) and save all the side quests for your secondary classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    This immediately answers your question.

You'll enjoy XIV as you would any Final Fantasy game, just with occasional need for groups. If you take your time and don't get to end game for a looooong time, you'll still enjoy the MSQ and exploring other facets of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

So was this intentional or a hilarious auto correct?
    Autocorrect my arch nemesis

You'll enjoy XIV as you would any Final Fantasy game-
    Except XIII, its a way better Final Fantasy than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Except XIII, its a way better Final Fantasy than that.
    Once I learned about the behind the scenes challenges of XIII, I've given it more slack. I want to replay it with a fresh perspective, but I won't go so far as to say it's up to the quality of the others in the franchise.

Once I learned about the behind the scenes challenges of XIII, I've given it more slack. I want to replay it with a fresh perspective, but I won't go so far as to say it's up to the quality of the others in the franchise.
    I still think XIII gets too much flack. Yeah, it's 6 hour tutorial is awful and the story, especially the ending, was giving me literal headaches. But damn if it doesn't have one of the best combat systems a FF game has ever had.

I know for a fact theres some people that swear the extra cross skills is a fair trade off for not using your job crystal in things like large scale pvp but i always felt it was less FFV's jobs but more FFTA style jobs where the job is the reward for mastering the basics of your class.

I mean even story wise you get brought into the Jobs like Ninja or Paladin because you were some street level scrub with knives or sword and board that gut gud enough to join the big leagues. WHich i find cool even though i hope some future jobs you just run into in the world or can find them like secrets or something.

Or maybe involve crafting classes, like THM and GSM for PUP for example.
    Couldn't say, seeing how I've never bothered with pvp in this game. I thought there were a bunch of pvp-only abilities tied to the jobs, though (not the base class).

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I still think XIII gets too much flack. Yeah, it's 6 hour tutorial is awful and the story, especially the ending, was giving me literal headaches. But damn if it doesn't have one of the best combat systems a FF game has ever had.
    I hated the combat system. :/

Paradigm seriously drove me nuts. Moreso seeing enemies have indicators of an attack and watching your team casually walk into it so they could make sure they were hit square in the face when they wouldn't have been hit if they had just stayed where they were.

It felt too much like you were controlling one while AI was gonna AI to me. I prefer controlling a party in JRPGs and the move to "more active combat" has not set well with me.

I did the free trial, and even bought the game. I haven't touched it since January 27th 2016. I have 34 hours of played time. I was having fun, enjoying everything including the excessively convoluted crafting system (which I don't mind). But as I continued with the main storyline, I got to level 20, where it forces you to do the group finder to do a dungeon to progress the main storyline. At which point I stopped playing. Flashbacks to the group finder for Warcraft's dungeons brought back bad memories, which made me put the game away. Sad, too, as I was having fun and enjoying the game. Was going for the Paladin job. Had conjurer to 15 and was working on gladiator (which is the level 20 class) to get it to 30.

Is it too late to start? As someone earlier said in what I took as a Three Days Grace quote: "It's not too late, it's never too late". You won't have various things people who have been playing longer than you have, but that's about usual for an MMORPG that's been out a while.

I think its the fact that its not just a mediocre jrpg, still not as shitty as something like Unlimited Saga mind, but the fact that Toriyama is a crazy person and believes his tulpa waifu Lightning is perfection incarnate and did crazy shit straight out of North korean propaganda. Like how he forced his employees to sit within eyeshot of a lightning photo at all times "because she, like a rose, inspires ideas and love" and abused his position to create so many wasted assetts for what he thought was the ur-final fantasy that would last for a thousand years or some bullshit which lead to SE releasing two sequels just to recoup loses on all that wasted development on the cutting room floor -including turning a shelved Valkyrie Profile title into Lightning Returns resulting in a solid Decade of Lightning as the entirety of the PS3's lifespan of final fantasy releases other than XIV, which as a lifelong FF fan from the SNES days felt like a crushing disappointment to see a decade long console generation and all we got was his pink haired fem cloud that he kept saying "everyone adores, she is loved like a goddess". Its hard not to really, really harbour a dislike for the game because of that bollocks.

I think its the fact that its not just a mediocre jrpg, still not as shitty as something like Unlimited Saga mind, but the fact that Toriyama is a crazy person and believes his tulpa waifu Lightning is perfection incarnate and did crazy shit straight out of North korean propaganda. Like how he forced his employees to sit within eyeshot of a lightning photo at all times "because she, like a rose, inspires ideas and love" and abused his position to create so many wasted assetts for what he thought was the ur-final fantasy that would last for a thousand years or some bullshit which lead to SE releasing two sequels just to recoup loses on all that wasted development on the cutting room floor -including turning a shelved Valkyrie Profile title into Lightning Returns resulting in a solid Decade of Lightning as the entirety of the PS3's lifespan of final fantasy releases other than XIV, which as a lifelong FF fan from the SNES days felt like a crushing disappointment to see a decade long console generation and all we got was his pink haired fem cloud that he kept saying "everyone adores, she is loved like a goddess". Its hard not to really, really harbour a dislike for the game because of that bollocks.
    I honestly hated the game the first time I played it, I never got past that stupidly long intro/tutorial. But then I got it for 9$ used, and put probably 60-70 hours into it. Liked it way more than 10 just bumping it into the top 10. I never did try any of the sequels.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    I honestly hated the game the first time I played it, I never got past that stupidly long intro/tutorial. But then I got it for 9$ used, and put probably 60-70 hours into it. Liked it way more than 10 just bumping it into the top 10. I never did try any of the sequels.
    I played them all to completion because i have some kind of brain problem i guess.

At least the soundtrack was alright.

I have been playing for about 2 weeks (nontrial). I will say that between duties and quests there are enough people in the lower levels to do something and play the story. Having that said I only have a lv25 conjurer and only have a small picture of FF14 experience, but have never felt left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I did the free trial, and even bought the game. I haven't touched it since January 27th 2016. I have 34 hours of played time. I was having fun, enjoying everything including the excessively convoluted crafting system (which I don't mind). But as I continued with the main storyline, I got to level 20, where it forces you to do the group finder to do a dungeon to progress the main storyline. At which point I stopped playing. Flashbacks to the group finder for Warcraft's dungeons brought back bad memories, which made me put the game away. Sad, too, as I was having fun and enjoying the game. Was going for the Paladin job. Had conjurer to 15 and was working on gladiator (which is the level 20 class) to get it to 30.

Is it too late to start? As someone earlier said in what I took as a Three Days Grace quote: "It's not too late, it's never too late". You won't have various things people who have been playing longer than you have, but that's about usual for an MMORPG that's been out a while.
    Anecdotal, but my experience with pugs via DF in this game has been nowhere as bad as it's been with some LFD/LFR groups in WoW. Generally people here show a lot of patience. That being said, YMMV, but give it a go. If it's a new dungeon you get put in, let folks know. Most of us are happy to see new players in groups simply due to the fact that it's bonus tomes/etc. for everyone.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Anecdotal, but my experience with pugs via DF in this game has been nowhere as bad as it's been with some LFD/LFR groups in WoW. Generally people here show a lot of patience. That being said, YMMV, but give it a go. If it's a new dungeon you get put in, let folks know. Most of us are happy to see new players in groups simply due to the fact that it's bonus tomes/etc. for everyone.
    I want to confirm what this person said.

When I started the game, people where friendly in the low-level dungeons. I just said "Hi, I'm new here. Any tips?", they were patient. Same thing when my GF started playing, but she went as a Tank job - people where cool with it too.

In the max lvl, my experiences changed a little bit. Patience is still here, but sometimes you'll get the weirdo who rushes the dungeon before gauging the other 3 members. But, even with impatience, they've mostly been gentle, with maybe a little touch of weirdness when they queue as groups and start laughing at internal jokes.

...In comparsion, I re-subbed to WoW for 6.2, and couldn't do Iron Docks without some crazy crackpot calling everyone trash or that awful Paladin in LFR telling everyone that he was carrying "this shit group" and we didn't deserve his help. Ugh.

I enjoyed it the first time but it didn't have a lasting appeal like older games in the series did. As far as combat it was nice but 13-2s improvements made it much more fluid and fun. In the end I don't really hate/love it. I still get my JRPG itch with games like Bravely Default and Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

I want to confirm what this person said.

When I started the game, people where friendly in the low-level dungeons. I just said "Hi, I'm new here. Any tips?", they were patient. Same thing when my GF started playing, but she went as a Tank job - people where cool with it too.

In the max lvl, my experiences changed a little bit. Patience is still here, but sometimes you'll get the weirdo who rushes the dungeon before gauging the other 3 members. But, even with impatience, they've mostly been gentle, with maybe a little touch of weirdness when they queue as groups and start laughing at internal jokes.

...In comparsion, I re-subbed to WoW for 6.2, and couldn't do Iron Docks without some crazy crackpot calling everyone trash or that awful Paladin in LFR telling everyone that he was carrying "this shit group" and we didn't deserve his help. Ugh.
    This has pretty much been my experience too. Its not completely friendly (you're a fool to expect that) but its quite rare for me to run into idiots. When I used a token a bit after 6.2 launched... yeah no screw that community. People start shit over the most mundane crap in that game.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2016-03-30 at 09:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So was this intentional or a hilarious auto correct?
    Moggles molest of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post

No it's not too late to start, see my earlier post.

Also, don't worry about the groupfinder, so far all the runs i did using it (about 20 dungeon runs, 6 trial runs and 25-ish guildhest runs) have been fantastic.
    For guildhests/trials, most people don't greet because they are so short (usually less than 5 minutes), but for dungeons, so far people have greeted, cheered on eachother and the few wipes we had where positively reviewed by the group to make everyone better. You even got a reward system for playing well (player commendations), and people are giving them out all the time, even though they don't have to.

WoW has a cancerous community, one of the worst in the industry, if you're not doing things with a guild there then you are going to have a bad time.

Most other mmo's like EQ2, FF14, Lotro etc. have a much better community, more adult players and no mouthbreathing trolls around.
    In case of FF14 it's not even comparable to WoW's community. In WoW pug's, for every 100 people you got 90 bad apples and 10 nice players. In FF14 i'd say for every 100 people you got 99 nice players and 1 bad apple, if even that.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Moggles molest of course.
    But Kawaii Affection taught me thats why you avoid Potatoes!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Most other mmo's like EQ2, FF14, Lotro etc. have a much better community, more adult players and no mouthbreathing trolls around.
    In case of FF14 it's not even comparable to WoW's community. In WoW pug's, for every 100 people you got 90 bad apples and 10 nice players. In FF14 i'd say for every 100 people you got 99 nice players and 1 bad apple, if even that.
    Its anecdotal i know but you know the really sad thing? 9 times out of ten if i run into a flamer in FFXIV they are a bunny hopping, ninja pulling character with a name like "arthass lichking" or "darklady silvanus" and you gotta wonder if they know they are being a terrible cliche.

-and then the other time out of ten its usually a name including "khaleesi" or "targareyen" or something

I kinda want (and I know they will) for square-enix to release a bundle that has all 3 for ps4. Therefor I can give it a more fair shake then I did originally.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-03-31 at 11:03 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Its anecdotal i know but you know the really sad thing? 9 times out of ten if i run into a flamer in FFXIV they are a bunny hopping, ninja pulling character with a name like "arthass lichking" or "darklady silvanus" and you gotta wonder if they know they are being a terrible cliche.
    Heh me and my friends always joke around and ask them if they've come from WoW. Most of the time they get offended for whatever reason.

I kinda want (and I know they will) for square-enix to release a bundle that has all 3 for ps4. Therefor I can give it a more fair shake then I did originally.
    I actually would like this too personally. With the sad state of affairs the first two are on PC, it would be probably be the best version unless they somehow screw it up too. I don't think they will tho, that trilogy has so much bad rap at this point that they even joked about it during the uncovered event.