10+ Year Old Account

Tinfoil hat - Varian is and isn't dead

I doubt Blizzard is going to let a character like Varian just go off into the Sunset. I have a theory based on absolutely nothing except what I can pull out of my own arse: Varian dies at the Broken Shore invasion but gets resurrected by a Val'kir.

He opens his eyes, waves an emaciated and desiccated hand in front of his face in panic and slowly looks up to see Sylvanas sneering down at him in malicious glee.

Firstly, one thing is guaranteed; It's not in his character to switch allegiances. He'll make the best of his circumstances or something and join up with the Argent Dawn for a while.

Later, one of two things will either happen. First option is that long-term, maybe next expansion (or this one), Sylvanas will finally make that move that's too evil for everyone else to stand. She'll end up getting deposed as head of the Forsaken and the role will be taken up by Varian Wrynn who will refocus the racial identity towards the idea of finding a cure to undeath and basically not being a bunch of evil dicks. This will remove any worry story-wise about the Forsaken becoming a second Scourge.

The second option is that after his resurrection something happens in Legion's story where the undead Varian makes the ultimate sacrifice to save either the player character or a major lore character from the Argent Crusade. The end result is he ends up being called by Odin to the Halls of Valor. At this point he could either return to Azeroth and lead the Alliance, or remain with Odin as a redeemed and non-undead-looking-type-warrior-person free for use in a later expansion... But still letting Anduin hold the reigns as King of Stormwind to progress his story.

Thoughts? Am I way off-base or is some of this in the realm of possibility?
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I disagree, the cinematic's whole theme was how Anduin was going to have to learn how to grow big enough balls to lead the Alliance. I don't think they would just toss that for some lame surprise reveal that everyone is invarianbly going to groan at later on.

7+ Year Old Account
    None of that is anywhere remotely near the realm of possibility, sorry.

hahahaha....

oh, you're serious...
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

7+ Year Old Account
    If this does happen, then I give up on wow lore.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I disagree, the cinematic's whole theme was how Anduin was going to have to learn how to grow big enough balls to lead the Alliance. I don't think they would just toss that for some lame surprise reveal that everyone is invarianbly going to groan at later on.
    Well, any dramatic impact Tirion's death might have had is ruined by the fact that the Ebon Blade brings him back a few levels later, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I assumed he wasn't dead anyway.

It's weird they went through all the "teases" of him dying in the trailer, only to survive, if the next quest is like "nope. He's dead now".

Why not just kill him in the cinematic and make it really epic?
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post

It's weird they went through all the "teases" of him dying in the trailer, only to survive, if the next quest is like "nope. He's dead now".

The fact that we don't have his sword is enough proof for me that he doesn't die.
    It's the only established lore weapon that we don't get. Even Thrall's hammer will go to the players, and he's not even dead.

really stop it, slyvanas will not be real evil or raid boos..

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post

My exact thoughts. It would seem anticlimactic to kill him immediately after that.

Deleted
    One thing is for sure: he will be a boss in the second tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    Well, any dramatic impact Tirion's death might have had is ruined by the fact that the Ebon Blade brings him back a few levels later, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    wtf did you just say bro....

are you serious????

10+ Year Old Account

Varian is Schrödinger's cat!
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Raising Nazgrim who likely entombed somewhere in the barrens is one thing. How are the Ebon Blade going to raise Tirion who's body is likely enshrined in the Paladin Order Hall? I don't think the paladins there would be very happy to see a bunch of Death Knights showing up and saying "Hey, can we borrow Tirion for a moment? we want to turn him into a twisted parody of what he was in life."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TalinSilverbane View Post
    Raising Nazgrim who likely entombed somewhere in the barrens is one thing. How are the Ebon Blade going to raise Tirion who's body is likely enshrined in the Paladin Order Hall? I don't think the paladins there would be very happy to see a bunch of Death Knights showing up and saying "Hey, can we borrow Tirion for a moment? we want to turn him into a twisted parody of what he was in life."
    I don't know they were cool with belfs torturing a naaru till it turned into a void form monstrosity. I honestly don't know what pally's stand for anymore besides hit it with the light.

Varian is the new new new lich king
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

of course he isnt dead...

he lives in all our hearts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TalinSilverbane View Post
    I was thinking of Varian.

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    Varian is Schrödinger's cat!
    I'm not at all and very disappointed by this lore development.