Poll: Do you watch movie trailers

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are movie Trailer Spoilers and do you watch them?

I am not a fan of movie trailers, I think they spoil way too much of the movie most of the time, and if they don't spoil the movie then they are often misleading. I admit I will watch them for movies I know nothing about, but for movies that I pretty much know what it will be about I avoid them like the plague and I think it has caused me to enjoy movies more.

A perfect example of why I hate movie trailers is Terminator 2 If you watch the movie you see it is set up to look like Arnold is the bad guy, which would make sense to anyone who watched the first Terminator. It isn't revealed until the two Terminators meet, that Arnold is the good guy. But thanks to movie trailers I already knew who the good guy was it and it seem to steal some of the fun out of the movie.

To me, watching movie trailers is like skipping chapters in a book, where is the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes, trailers are massive spoilers for films. If you don't like spoilers you should avoid them at all costs(which isn't difficult unless you see movies in the theaters).
    My wife laughs at me because at the theater I oven close my eyes and rub my ears lol... And we go to the movies often

Last time I was at the movies, I saw the Tarzan trailer, and I think it just showed us a summary of the whole movie. Why is that necessary? I think they should stick to them being teasers.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    I watch everything there is to see before I see a movie.
    Even more, I sometimes even read all the info and even spoilers that can be found.

It doesn't actually spoil my fun. I like to be informed I guess

Deleted
    Yes, I watch pretty much all the trailers. I just can't resist. And I know 90% of time I will regret it... i'm looking at you BvS Dawn of Justice 2nd trailer.

But i just love myself some well edited and well sounding trailer. For example trailers for Zack Snyder's 300 or Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows are so epic i still watch them occasionally.

I love movie trailers!

However, I consider trailer making to be a sort of art... They have to make you interested and hyped without giving too much. And, of course, leave cliffhangers totally in the dark.

In the case of BvS, for instance, I think the trailer completely ruined my desire to see the movie. I mean, come on, they did a fucking resume of the entire movie! I still didn't see it and, after the bad reviews, I probably even won't.

Yes, I watch them. How else would I know if the movie interests me?

Trailers and teasers are important, they give you the overall premise of the movie and show you the artistic style, effects quality, etc.
    The problem is recently trailers have been getting way too detailed in the plot of the movie, and actually outlay the entire movie in order from beginning to middle to end. Case in point: Batman v Superman's trailer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Case in point: Batman v Superman's trailer.
    yep. the trailers ruined batman v superman.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover
    The problem is recently trailers have been getting way too detailed in the plot of the movie, and actually outlay the entire movie in order from beginning to middle to end. Case in point: Batman v Superman's trailer.
    Maze Runner also comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Maze Runner also comes to mind.
    Even non-blockbusters do it.
    That recent movie with Jason Bateman and his wife being stalked by a guy he used to go to school with, the trailer laid out the ENTIRE movie except for one plot point at the very end of the movie. And that's supposed to be a suspenseful thriller, and they give away the damn twist IN the trailer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I am not a fan of movie trailers, I think they spoil way too much of the movie most of the time, and if they don't spoil the movie then they are often misleading. I admit I will watch them for movies I know nothing about, but for movies that I pretty much know what it will be about I avoid them like the plague and I think it has caused me to enjoy movies more.

I hate the misleading trailers that either show scenes that never made it off the cutting room floor (Godzilla *new one*) or they show all 2 actions scenes entirely and it ends up being a totally bland movie that leaves you scratching your head as to what the trailer had to do with the movie at all (The Siege).

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I shouldn't, but I just can't stop myself from watching them.

Do I watch Teaser trailers? Yes. Full length, three minute long trailers like Avatar (2009) that gives away the entire plot? Nope, because spoilers.

Deleted
    With movies I know I'm going to want to watch, no, I avoid them as much as possible, they almost always give away the major plot points or show all the good scenes. Like with Avengers: Age of Ultron, seeing the Hulkbuster in the actual movie just didn't have the same impact cause we had already seen it in the trailer, and everybody was talking about it.

This is a pretty good video that adresses this issue, if you have the time you should give it a watch.
    Last edited by mmoc80a42d4d42; 2016-04-01 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPenguin View Post
    With movies I know I'm going to want to watch, no, I avoid them as much as possible, they almost always give away the major plot points or show all the good scenes. Like with Avengers: Age of Ultron, seeing the Hulkbuster in the actual movie just didn't have the same impact cause we had already seen it in the trailer, and everybody was talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQhaV-fWyg&

This is a pretty good video that adresses this issue, if you have the time you should give it a watch.
    This is exactly why I hate movie Trailers, thanks for that

The short ones, yeah... them minute+ long ones I avoid as they give too much away

They're not too different from commercials.

I often wonder how hard it is to craft a trailer that is misleading as far as the plot goes.

A good example is the most recent Apes movie there were several misdirects in the advertising. Posters with apes having guns in a context they never do in the film, the scene of a warship steaming into San Fran Bay, which never happened in the movie.

I remember walking out of the movie thinking how well the advertising kept things murky. Like trailers these days are 2-3 min mini movies, most times you can get a 100% sense of the movie.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    the thing is, if the trailers get people to the cinemas it doesn't really matter. Look at batman v superman trailer #2. It basically ruined the movie, showed u all these key scenes. Should trailers spoil the movie? imo no.

i'm thinking about boycotting all future DCEU trailers.
    Hi