Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's the point?

Perhaps the question itself is evidence that the game is not going to appeal to me, but I still want to understand.

Most games have a linear progression with a satisfying conclusion. Or at least, that is the goal. You play, you learn, you have fun, you get a reward. Even games like World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 have a storyline that reaches a conclusion, and encourage continued play through rewards such as stronger gear. What sort of reward does one get out of playing Overwatch? Is it just about winning/losing matches? Do you get better gear? Is there a story that I'm missing somewhere in all the media available?

"Give us your money for skins on a game that you already paid for.. You know, like F2P but the game is not free."

Otherwise, I see some stories with the latest Winston clip but... they haven't done a good job conveying their plans, yeah
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

You play > you get exp > you get loot boxes > you get cosmetics.

There is no real progression, but there are rewards. The point of the game is to play the game.

Eventually, I'm sure they'll add some sort of PvE, they even did it with Hearthstone of all things, but right now it's a PvP-only hero-based shooter, and it's balanced around players not getting stronger.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's supposed to be a competitive class based FPS game.

Look at Rainbow Six Siege, and CS:Go combine them and then remove some of their features.

That's overwatch.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by neocount View Post
    Perhaps the question itself is evidence that the game is not going to appeal to me, but I still want to understand.

Most games have a linear progression with a satisfying conclusion. Or at least, that is the goal. You play, you learn, you have fun, you get a reward. Even games like World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 have a storyline that reaches a conclusion, and encourage continued play through rewards such as stronger gear.
    You just described a PvE game. Overwatch is about the adrenaline rush of personal combat versus a human opponent. PvP, beating the other guys, and ultimately comparing your skills to others and appreciating the skill of the best players.

Ask the half million people watching the CS:GO championship on Twitch. Or the similar number watching the LoL Spring Split matches.

It's a different kind of experience from the kind of game you describe.

The reward is not "stuff". The reward is winning, getting better at winning, rising above your peers, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neocount View Post

Most games have a linear progression with a satisfying conclusion. Or at least, that is the goal. You play, you learn, you have fun, you get a reward. Even games like World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 have a storyline that reaches a conclusion, and encourage continued play through rewards such as stronger gear. What sort of reward does one get out of playing Overwatch? Is it just about winning/losing matches? Do you get better gear? Is there a story that I'm missing somewhere in all the media available?
    There is a lore behind the game, but that's not in-game because it wouldn't make sense in the game.

The sole goal of the game is to have fun, and there's nothing odd about that.

Deleted
    To have a good time? Multiplayer games like BF or TF2 are fun and interesting because every match you do will be different than the one you did yesterday. You don't always need carrot and stick approaches to enjoy video games.

Deleted
    There is no point at the moment then having fun which in 2016 is pretty small reason to keep playing the game for more then few days. Compettion is pretty much only way what could give some reason to keep playing but Overwatch doesnt really provide anything what other games doesnt do alredy and more and are free to play or barely cost any money. I really dont see Overwatch to make it into e-sport as game is too boring to watch and solo experience is just horrible. Thing that you cant carry your games increase frustration while playing solo and lot of players stop playing becouse of that. Same thing what happen to HoTS what have barely any palyerbase left. Overwatch now is just another fast cash grab game what target more on sales then actual quality of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    To have a good time? Multiplayer games like BF or TF2 are fun and interesting because every match you do will be different than the one you did yesterday. You don't always need carrot and stick approaches to enjoy video games.
    Maybe back in 20s. In 2016 players in games want more from games then having a fun time for couple of minutes. Progression games are very popular beocuse it feels like you time invested in game isnt just wasted on fun factor. Learning game and growin skill in ranked mod can feel as progression but Overwatch is too simple and too casual for this type progression + matches depend more on your teammates then on your actual skill which will turn off lot of players as they will have feel of no power over their game outcomes.

That's the illness of the postmodern western society. People don't know how to enjoy things any more. They always think everything has to be "worth" something, go through some kind of "progression" and culminate in some kind of "profit".

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Street Fighter 4 had no real story. I mean there was story but most of it was told outside of the game. I've gotten thousands of hours out of that since '09. StarCraft 2's story lasted a couple hours and then it was just multiplayer grind, same with Call of Duty, and Diablo 3, and a lot of other games that I enjoy immensely. Sometimes it's not about plot or rewards or whatever, just enjoying the gameplay for years.

As for the value of a game .. Well .. It's hard to determine really. I mean look at a game like BioShock Infinite which was pretty much universally praised despite it's amazingly silly storyline ... I got 8~ maybe 9 hours out of that and then was done with it forever, but a lot of people would tell you it was worth whatever you paid for it. I picked up SF4 for $19 and played it for hundreds of hours and then I bought the expansion for $30 and played for hundreds more hours and so on.

its fun, iam not doing this for story or progression. iam doing it for the fun of strategy and pounding my enemies down.

Its an arena Multiplayer. Sometimes the simpliticity of just enjoying combat against players is fine without underlying reasons for it.

playing the game to have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    This may be weird answer but i guess that the "point" is....enjoyment from playing ? I mean some people have thousands of hours in games like quake 3 or TF2 and those games never had a "point".

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post

There is no point at the moment then having fun which in 2016 is pretty small reason to keep playing the game for more then few days. Compettion is pretty much only way what could give some reason to keep playing but Overwatch doesnt really provide anything what other games doesnt do alredy and more and are free to play or barely cost any money. I really dont see Overwatch to make it into e-sport as game is too boring to watch and solo experience is just horrible. Thing that you cant carry your games increase frustration while playing solo and lot of players stop playing becouse of that. Same thing what happen to HoTS what have barely any palyerbase left. Overwatch now is just another fast cash grab game what target more on sales then actual quality of the game.

Maybe back in 20s. In 2016 players in games want more from games then having a fun time for couple of minutes. Progression games are very popular beocuse it feels like you time invested in game isnt just wasted on fun factor. Learning game and growin skill in ranked mod can feel as progression but Overwatch is too simple and too casual for this type progression + matches depend more on your teammates then on your actual skill which will turn off lot of players as they will have feel of no power over their game outcomes.
    Where are you getting all these rubbish facts from? You're making some pretty big declarations and statements by saying hots has barely any players left or lots of people are leaving overwatching because they cant carry the game(errr what? in a game like this? what are you even on about? ontop of insinuating carrying is a good thing in the first place). Solo experience in a mp pvp arena game?

and oh please... don't pull that "different era" bull. There have always been a variety of progression games and pvp versus type games. its nothing new to the 10's. the 00's were known for a GLUT of progression based games. in the 10's if anything, market surveys and trends concerning the onset and popularity of mindless mobile games has shown the complete opposite of what you're stating. Major game companies have dropped their major franchises and titles to head into mobile games, pvp games and/or quick/simple games.

Don't speak for the masses and what they want. You aren't the voice of the public. There is this odd disparage between what you're saying and what the games are actually like, ontop of you just making stuff up on the spot iam having trouble taking you seriously.

People enjoy switching between them or enjoy one type. I for one don't want to always shove myself into a progression game or plot based game to invest in, even mid way through it. Sometimes i just want something like a quick versus game. I want a break from the investment.

Your last line is baseless and just plain wrong. It sounds like someone who hasnt played the game or has any idea how these work (it just sounds like you came to the game expecting the wrong things for the wrong reasons, like ordering italian in a thai restaurant). It factors in BOTH your effort and your teams. Its a team based FPS, it depends on you and your teams skill but you most definately dont lose your feeling of power over the games outcome. There are people who pull off amazing plays and turn the tide for their team, well placed attacks and Q's which destroy the enemy or well placed abilities that save your team from annihilation. Hero changes which switch up the flow of events. People spouted the same crap about HoTs and they ended up wrong. Your efforts are incredibly important and interwoven with your teams efforts, your role is key to the tapestry of destruction you visit on your enemies as a team.

Different games for different types of enjoyment and fun. Different games for different people. Different games for different moods. Different games for different experiences.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-03-31 at 07:35 PM.

To those that answered my question with friendliness and understanding, I offer a heartfelt thank you

The point is competition. Playing against others and the gamepaly itself being fun. Whether its casual or not. You unlock skins and other cosmetic things but the point is to play the game. *edit* I said something rude, that I shouldn't have said. Sorry
    Last edited by Turtlewithnoshell; 2016-04-01 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by molvtv View Post
    Please delete your shit thread
    That's not nice. I was just curious about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    "Give us your money for skins on a game that you already paid for.. You know, like F2P but the game is not free."

Otherwise, I see some stories with the latest Winston clip but... they haven't done a good job conveying their plans, yeah
    Except you don't have to pay for anything but the game. No guarantee you will get what you want with money just a crate.

Fun. I know that's beyond the concept for current Blizzard gamers (don't ever say you want to do something for fun in WoW) but maybe try playing a game for fun.

The point is because it is fun, I enjoy my time I spend playing the game. Whats the point of any video game? If the power goes out forever you basically just stared at a box and clicked keys for hours on end and managed to do nothing of value for long periods of your life. So whats the point in any game ultimately? Entertainment and fun. That is all any game can offer you.

Lets say a supervolcano under Yosemite erupts tomorrow, blankets the middle states in an ash cloud (no wheat growth, several inches of ash dropped on surface), drops california into the ocean and destroys the western seaboard (no planes can fly in ash clouds) and cause the eastern seaboards economy to crash, electricity goes out, ect, your 'point' or 'reason' for a game would actually be a detriment to your survival as you spent a lot of time doing absolutely nothing of any value once the power goes out while people who lived their lives are more likely to survive.

So whats the point in any game? Being entertained by a subject matter that you interact with and control the outcome rather than just sitting there and watching it unfold like on a tv show.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-03-31 at 08:11 PM.

Perfect example of someone who has never played an FPS, and thinks that because they play Blizzard games that it should be similar to those.

What's the point in any FPS? What's the point in Rocket League? This isn't League of Legends, and even then, what's the big difference when you obtain skins, levels, and when there's ranked mode, you will move up in that and continue to get better. What's the point? What a dumb question.