Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Personally I have never had more fun than farming the same opponent over and over again with reaper because they refuse to change their tactics because they think its the only tactic that works, like two bastions in the corner of the dojo who you wraith behind intangible and blow them away or a pharah who keeps flying up to the rocketship hanging from the ceiling and rocketting my team thinking no one can get up there even though I went up there seven times and cleared her out every single time.

Deleted
    I honestly wished they would introduce mechanics LIKE rocket jumping... something that you don't discover within your first hours of playing and when you do it takes many more to master it. That's what made Quake (apart from getting better aim) really hard to learn and interesting. Right now Overwatch just seems to embrace the Scissors-stone-paper type of game.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Perfect example of someone who has never played an FPS, and thinks that because they play Blizzard games that it should be similar to those.

What's the point in any FPS? What's the point in Rocket League? This isn't League of Legends, and even then, what's the big difference when you obtain skins, levels, and when there's ranked mode, you will move up in that and continue to get better. What's the point? What a dumb question.
    I see it more as, "I like games like X and not Y and I don't understand how anyone else can like anything I don't like because I am incapable of acknowledging that other people are real."

Quote Originally Posted by Shéllshock View Post
    I honestly wished they would introduce mechanics LIKE rocket jumping... something that you don't discover within your first hours of playing and when you do it takes many more to master it. That's what made Quake (apart from getting better aim) really hard to learn and interesting. Right now Overwatch just seems to embrace the Scissors-stone-paper type of game.
    Rocket jumping ruined games in that it let people skip over terrain and get to objectives faster than the game was designed to allow. It wasn't even hard to accomplish or a sign of being skillful, sure a rank noob didn't do it but it doesn't take much for a rank noob to figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    This...is...well, yes, I think this is actually an issue for a large chunk of the gaming community at large. We've been conditioned to some extent - and I often fall into the same trap despite being aware of it - of expecting not "fun" from our games, but "rewards".

- - - Updated - - -

How can other people be real if our eyes aren't real?

I mean...duh...? Come on.
    How are children who can't read good going to learn how to read good if they CANT FIT IN THE BUILDING!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I see it more as, "I like games like X and not Y and I don't understand how anyone else can like anything I don't like because I am incapable of acknowledging that other people are real."
    It's actually quite the opposite. This is me not only acknowledging other people, but asking them a question. I was simply curious what people get out of games like Overwatch. That's it. Doesn't really get any deeper than that. Could I have worded my post better? Probably, because while some people understood the spirit of my query, others are missing it entirely.

Ah well. Que sera sera.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Rocket jumping ruined games in that it let people skip over terrain and get to objectives faster than the game was designed to allow. It wasn't even hard to accomplish or a sign of being skillful, sure a rank noob didn't do it but it doesn't take much for a rank noob to figure it out.
    Let me get this straight, mechanics that enhance gameplay and add depth to a game are ruining it? .... ... .. . ALL OF MY WHAT?

Rockect jump, plasma climb, strafe jumping > "imma gonna press shift for sprint hurrrdurrr".

Not to mention some heroes in OW already have the ability to move around much faster than "intended" - only shows how little you know about the topic. I would love to have proper movement mechanics in OW, it would instantly promote this game from the "weekend-drinking-while-playing" to something more than just a time filler.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shéllshock View Post
    There is rocket jumping for Soldier currently. And there are a lot of different shortcuts or ways to flank that are available to certain characters(mostly Tracer, Genji, Pharah, Junkrat, DVA, Winston). The skill cap is fairly high at the top level aswell due to the fast pace of a lot of the meta heroes.

Deleted
    People used to play games for fun, weird concept I know but back when I used to play Natural Selection 2, Quake, UT, AvP2, Wolf: ET, we played to have fun.

It's nice to have those things to unlock and progress towards but even recently, I sunk 2000 hours into NS2 just to have fun and play with friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play because its fun and I like to have fun. Progression systems are just a nice little bonus and something to look forward too. Another loot box, a higher rank etc that can keep the replayability going artificially but the game and the players enjoyment of it is the entire point. So long as the game keeps being fun - to me - I will continue to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Maybe back in 20s. In 2016 players in games want more from games then having a fun time for couple of minutes.
    Rocket League begs to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by molvtv View Post
    The point is competition. Playing against others and the gamepaly itself being fun. Whether its casual or not. You unlock skins and other cosmetic things but the point is to play the game. Please delete your shit thread
    Fuck off, you idiotic Blizzard fanboy.

Deleted
    At the heart, it's really just about winning and losing matches, not so much chasing other rewards but the enjoyment you get in the moment. I'm sure there are some unlockables to progress through, but nothing that will directly influence your gameplay ability. I kinda get peoples gripe with it, although I played counter-strike long before skins were a thing and I sunk hundreds of hours into the exact same team deathmatch with no rewards, I also appreciate progression systems after playing MMOs and other games that feature them.

Think of Overwatch as more of an arcade game like tetris or asteroids or pac-man. It's about challenging yourself, achieving victory, and having fun.

The opposite of that gaming mentality, the one you describe, where you need to be rewarded for play, is the reason why WoW is in such a shitty state right now. It's why they have to hold your hand through the entire game, give you zero choice, and keep you full of shiny loots.

If you're ever playing a game and asking yourself, "Why am I playing?" and that answer isn't "Because it's fun" then you have to make some life-changes.

Edit: another acceptable answer is "Because I make a shit-ton of money doing it."

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Perfect example of someone who has never played an FPS, and thinks that because they play Blizzard games that it should be similar to those.

What's the point in any FPS? What's the point in Rocket League? This isn't League of Legends, and even then, what's the big difference when you obtain skins, levels, and when there's ranked mode, you will move up in that and continue to get better. What's the point? What a dumb question.
    God forbid someone asks about what your favorite shitty game is like.

Stupid fucking moron. Piss off, fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkwuzhere View Post
    Fuck off, you idiotic Blizzard fanboy.
    lmao, obviously triggered.
    Apparently only fanboys like competitive games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neocount View Post
    That's not nice. I was just curious about the game.
    You're right, I'm sorry for that comment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    It's supposed to be a competitive class based FPS game.

Look at Rainbow Six Siege, and CS:Go combine them and then remove some of their features.

That's overwatch.
    I always find it amusing when people talk about using older game design, and often taking the best of a few games and putting it together is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by neocount View Post
    Perhaps the question itself is evidence that the game is not going to appeal to me, but I still want to understand.

Most games have a linear progression with a satisfying conclusion. Or at least, that is the goal. You play, you learn, you have fun, you get a reward. Even games like World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 have a storyline that reaches a conclusion, and encourage continued play through rewards such as stronger gear. What sort of reward does one get out of playing Overwatch? Is it just about winning/losing matches? Do you get better gear? Is there a story that I'm missing somewhere in all the media available?
    Why does anyone need rewards? Why can't you just have fun playing the matchs and winning or losing.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The same point as Heroes of the Storm I imagine.

There is no point. It's a generic shooter without any progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    There is no point. It's a generic shooter without any progression.
    There is progression through cosmetic rewards.
    Also if you're into ranking up, you can do that too.
    Look at games like counterstrike, the only progression that game is your rank and it's very popular.