Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Tesla Model 3 Revealed - 115,000 pre-ordered before reveal

Here is an imgur to some reveal pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/TBAi1

Tesla was able to get 115,000 reservations ($1,000 each) before anyone even knew what the car looked like. The model 3 seems to be off to a great start reception wise. This car really does have a chance to take the car industry in a new direction.

What do you guys think of the look? It's a mix between a model S and a porsche to me.
    Last edited by Kretan; 2016-04-01 at 05:46 AM.

Deleted
    There's something off about the way the way the front is shaped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was fairly impressive.

Standard:

0-60 in under 6 seconds
    215 mile range
    Autopilot
    Supercharger capability
    Panoramic Roof

And I think it's pretty damn nice looking, too. Plus, I really like that panoramic roof. If I had a place I was living in where I could charge it, I'd definitely consider reserving one.

That said, I'm concerned a little about reliability. I think a Chevy Bolt will probably be more reliable, and have better access to support in case of failures, but the Tesla will probably have better technology overall.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    There's something off about the way the way the front is shaped.
    I think the lack of a grill is definitely throwing me for a loop. It's so different from any other car (other than the model X). Overall once you get past the front end uniqueness, it's a really good looking car imo.

The roof is a single piece of glass too hood to trunk.

Deleted
    yeah I think the lack of a grill is what's weird

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I thought it was fairly impressive.

Standard:

0-60 in under 6 seconds
    215 mile range
    Autopilot
    Supercharger capability
    Panoramic Roof

And I think it's pretty damn nice looking, too. Plus, I really like that panoramic roof. If I had a place I was living in where I could charge it, I'd definitely consider reserving one.

That said, I'm concerned a little about reliability. I think a Chevy Bolt will probably be more reliable, and have better access to support in case of failures, but the Tesla will probably have better technology overall.
    I actually did reserve one in store this morning (220 person line before the doors opened). I am lucky because I live in Chicago with multiple service centers and a super charging station 1 block from my work.

They did say they are DOUBLING the super charger network for next year, and doubling the storefronts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I particularly like the graphite color.

I particularly like the graphite color.
    I liked the graphite and the red. The red was my favorite by far especially when you add in the heavy tint. When I get mine it'll probably be between dark blue and that red.

10+ Year Old Account
    There doesn't seem to be any instrument panel, which I don't think I'd like...

There doesn't seem to be any instrument panel, which I don't think I'd like...
    Remember this is a prototype atm. A lot of people on the tesla reddit expect it to change for the production model.

Either way, I'm kind of interested in how it would be without an instrument panel......can the touch screen handle it all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretan View Post
    Remember this is a prototype atm. A lot of people on the tesla reddit expect it to change for the production model.

Either way, I'm kind of interested in how it would be without an instrument panel......can the touch screen handle it all?
    Even if it could, I don't like the idea of always having to look to the right to see my speed. It's one of the things that turns me off from Mini Coopers.

Here's a video showing the ride:

https://www.periscope.tv/TeslaMotors/1dRKZyRkpgNxB

The glass roof looks absolutely stunning from the inside.....wow

- - - Updated - - -

Even if it could, I don't like the idea of always having to look to the right to see my speed. It's one of the things that turns me off from Mini Coopers.
    That's a good point.

7+ Year Old Account
    Starts at $35k.

They said "at least" 215 mile range. That would be really cool if they could get it to 300 miles.

Looks like a dodge intrepid.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Starts at $35k.

They said "at least" 215 mile range. That would be really cool if they could get it to 300 miles.
    I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't have something that at least came close. I imagine with options this thing is going to be fast as hell and around $50-60k.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Ehhhhhhhhh. Google images and I disagree. The lack of a longer back end makes this look like a more angular panamera.

Model 3:

Porsche:

Intrepid:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Um, looks nothing like an Imtrwpid, unless you're referring to the fact that both vehicles have 4 wheels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    yeah I think the lack of a grill is what's weird
    Sensible though. They don't need a grill (no radiator behind it) and it does good things for aerodynamics. There's a reason why other manufacturers of gasoline-powered cars have implemented grill shutters.
    Last edited by Masark; 2016-04-01 at 05:28 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

HNNNGGGGGH Yeah I love the red. Get black rims on this thing and it's perfect to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Sensible though. It does good things for aerodynamics. There's a reason why other manufacturers of gasoline-powered cars have implemented "grill shutters".
    Well the model S doesn't have a grill either, but it has a detail resembling a grill. I think the lack of detail in the front is just so different it takes getting used to though. After the shock of wtf is wrong with the front of that car, I get used to it and it's kind of cool imo.
    Last edited by Kretan; 2016-04-01 at 05:34 AM.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretan View Post

HNNNGGGGGH Yeah I love the red. Get black rims on this thing and it's perfect to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the model S doesn't have a grill either, but it has a detail resembling a grill. I think the lack of detail in the front is just so different it takes getting used to though. After the shock of wtf is wrong with the front of that car, I get used to it and it's kind of cool imo.
    I think it will also get better once you add a license plate to get some of that detail back into the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    I think it will also get better once you add a license plate to get some of that detail back into the front.
    That's a great point. It just needs a tiny amount of detail on the front and this car would be amazing looking imo.