Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Joining the Navy and epilepsy

So, I was diagnosed with epilepsy caused by a brain lesion. This epilepsy has been causing me to hear voices and see shadow people plus have out of control rage episodes were I throw stuff around and punch holes into walls. Now, the first time I went into the hospital I told a hospital psychologist that I heard voices wanting me to kill people because the hospital psychologist asked me what was going on and I told him the truth and now kicking myself for it. They also thought I had some kind of psychosis like schizophrenia but turned out they were wrong it was actually epilepsy causing me to be emotionally unstable. If I get brain surgery done to fix this will MEPS still disqualify me since I mentioned the killing people stuff to a psychologist? or will they take in consideration its just brain damage during a part of my life and let me enlist? I plan on going to a recruiter 3 years from now since I have to wait because of my epilepsy.Would like opinions from people who have been in the military or where in the military.

15+ Year Old Account
    They're likely going to disqualify you because you will have had brain surgery.

Deleted
    Yeah I think you're out of luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'd press you for details ask what kinds of people. If you say women & children you will be disqualified. But if you say bad guys that's the kind of people they're looking for, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of brain surgery? They'll probably want to reevaluate you a lot after to see if it's helped any.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chances are, given the current recruiting needs, you will not be deemed suitable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPyro View Post
    They'd press you for details ask what kinds of people. If you say women & children you will be disqualified. But if you say bad guys that's the kind of people they're looking for, right?
    Don't cut yourself on that edge.

I have no clue what kind, the docter mentioned if he can't find a suitable medication for me to control this I will have to have brain surgery done.

I've never heard of epilepsy causing people to hear voices/see things. Perhaps it is due to brain injury caused by the lesion, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowtom8444 View Post
    I have no clue what kind, the docter mentioned if he can't find a suitable medication for me to control this I will have to have brain surgery done.
    As far as I know, the military generally will not accept people with serious mental or physical problems into the armed forces. However, I don't know what their policy is on a situation where you have surgery to remove the problem. What you're experiencing is similar to what people with brain tumors have had, and removal of the brain tumor resolved the situation completely. I'm just not certain whether they would consider that a non-issue, or if the surgery itself would present a problem.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if you have a chance, I'd talk to a recruiter. If I remember right, the official rule was five years since having a seizure, with a clean EEG (brainwave measuring thingy.) I had absentia seizures in the second and third grade and so I had to do an EEG at MEPS before I was medically cleared (the EEG was paid for by MEPS). Your epilepsy sounds more severe though. But it can't hurt to see what a recruiter says. You might have to wait some time period and get a clean EEG. Or you might just be shit out of luck.

And take this experience from me with a grain of salt, this was over six years ago for me, so I might not be remembering it exactly right.
    Putin khuliyo

If you have uncontrollable rage and urges to kill people, why do you think you are fit for military service?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I don't know if you have a chance, I'd talk to a recruiter. If I remember right, the official rule was five years since having a seizure, with a clean EEG (brainwave measuring thingy.) I had absentia seizures in the second and third grade and so I had to do an EEG at MEPS before I was medically cleared (the EEG was paid for by MEPS). Your epilepsy sounds more severe though. But it can't hurt to see what a recruiter says. You might have to wait some time period and get a clean EEG. Or you might just be shit out of luck.

And take this experience from me with a grain of salt, this was over six years ago for me, so I might not be remembering it exactly right.
    I think he's SOL due to the urges to kill people.

They more than likely won't take you. If I can't join as a Type I Diabetic, then you probably can't either. I'm dependent on insulin, and am unpredictable if my bloodsugar gets to low.

They were acting iffy with my husband, too... about a sprained wrist he had when he was 12. That was just recruiters, though. You never know until you try... but the list of instant disqualifications is REALLY long. You might want to read this...

http://www.military.com/join-armed-f...onditions.html

My husband's been in for nearly 4 years now. His wrist never posed an issue after the initial recruitment, MEPS, and DEP wait.
    Last edited by Felicia; 2016-04-01 at 07:11 AM.

So, I was diagnosed with epilepsy caused by a brain lesion. This epilepsy has been causing me to hear voices and see shadow people plus have out of control rage episodes were I throw stuff around and punch holes into walls. Now, the first time I went into the hospital I told a hospital psychologist that I heard voices wanting me to kill people because the hospital psychologist asked me what was going on and I told him the truth and now kicking myself for it. They also thought I had some kind of psychosis like schizophrenia but turned out they were wrong it was actually epilepsy causing me to be emotionally unstable. If I get brain surgery done to fix this will MEPS still disqualify me since I mentioned the killing people stuff to a psychologist? or will they take in consideration its just brain damage during a part of my life and let me enlist? I plan on going to a recruiter 3 years from now since I have to wait because of my epilepsy.Would like opinions from people who have been in the military or where in the military.
    Anything you mentioned about killing people to a psychologist should be considered privileged information. However, I'm fairly certain you will have to undergo a psych evaluation before joining the navy. Also, you're epilepsy and any surgeries will be in your medical record.

The best thing to do would be to talk to a recruiter. Find out if your condition might disqualify you from service.

10+ Year Old Account
    i heard they don't let you serve if you are colorblind, so if u have epilepsy or brain issues your probably out of luck mate.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i heard they don't let you serve if you are colorblind, so if u have epilepsy or brain issues your probably out of luck mate.
    I don't think that's true. Colorblindness will make you disqualified for particular jobs, like flying, but not all jobs. Hell, there was one kid in my flight who was legally blind without his glasses. He was getting a desk job somewhere.
    Putin khuliyo

If we're in a war they drop the requirements and you can get a waiver for almost anything because they need the people.

Right now the military is downsizing so they are very picky.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty sure they don't let people who hallucinate shadow people and have urges to kill into the military.

Not anyone who discloses such information, anyways.

Probably not a question that is fit to be answered on an online World of Warcraft forum...

I have epilepsy as well but not as nearly as bad as you do. I hope that you figure everything out though, I thought seizures were bad but this just sounds terrifying.