Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    In terms of black metal, I've been really enjoying Cantique Lépreux's debut.

Bad harsh vocals are just as off-putting as bad cleans. If I dislike the sound of the vocals or they're just flat out amateurish, that's how it is, but I don't really disregard entire singing techniques. That's also completely ignoring the fact that a lot of the time, in metal, the vocals are just kinda "there". Many metal vocalists just learn how to do harsh vocals, but have no ambition, which is a shame since you can go many places with those techniques.
    Makes me think of when we had falsetto singing on Darkthrone's Goatlord. WTF man, falsetto? Get that outta here.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I'll check it out
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Makes me think of when we had falsetto singing on Darkthrone's Goatlord. WTF man, falsetto? Get that outta here.
    Hey man, the falsettos on Underground Resistance are ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    I'll check it out

Hey man, the falsettos on Underground Resistance are ace.
    Haha, can't handle falsetto in metal at all except from King Diamond and that's his thing. Listening to Darkthrone? Last thing I want to hear hahaha.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    The Underground Resistance is ace.
    ftfy

--

Have something a bit more subtle and gentle than Portal or Ad Nauseam:

10+ Year Old Account
    Still not too thrilled. And obviously it didn't make a big impact as I clicked on it based on the 'new album' discussion and it was a youtube suggestion for another vid I watched (new Cobalt, posted by the same guy).

Turned it off after 10 minutes or so to go listen to Tod Huetet Uebel, but figured other people might enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely worth a listen at the very least, though the full album video has been removed from Youtube again.

Haven't quite decided yet how I feel about it. Would need a few more listens, which gives it about a 50/50 chance of it making my AoY list or, alternatively, just being completely forgotten about in a few weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Hey guys! Dude here. Just wanted to go back and say that the growling/screaming was just for me personally. I am not downing anyone who likes it! (and really, some of it is fine for me. Its just the cookie cutter garbage that is out there. Lots of unoriginal stuff)

The last few bands I have seen live are Kamelot, DragonForce, Katatonia, and Opeth. I have grown more into the proggy stuff, and that is where I am most comfortable ahah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I have grown more into the proggy stuff, and that is where I am most comfortable ahah!
    Same here Dude, listening lot of post-rock/metal bands like Tesseract, Jakob, Caspian at the moment.

PS. Check out Caspian on Audiotree Live. Amazing stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc5960230495; 2016-03-31 at 04:46 AM.

As someone who's a huge thrash fan, I feel obligated to throw the new Death Angel song in here.

Deleted

Solid stuff.

Been some time since this was released but still worth a post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Finnish Gods of Pagan Metal are back and what a return it is. It's totally fine with me to release albums every 5 years from now on if the music is as majestic as this..
    Gotta agree, this album is incredible. Best one of the year for me so far.

I can advice Cantique Lepreux as well, very solid album.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    As someone who's a huge thrash fan, I feel obligated to throw the new Death Angel song in here.
    Gotta give this a listen, I am a big Death Angel fan. Album only out end of May though; too bad that's quite far away.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's black metal AOTY so far.
    Either that or Sorcier des Glaces - North. Incidentally both are from Quebec. Seems like a healthy black metal scene there at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I was pretty meh on the new Amon Amarth. It's more in the direction of Surtur Rising/Twilight of the Thunder God than the good stuff. The chorus are really big and sing-songy on the new record- I dislike this style. Some of the riffs are pretty exciting though.

It's not awful but super mediocre.

Still excited to see AA next month.
    Just listened to it as well and this is definitely my opinion as well. Some really good riffs but overall it's somehow inspiration-less. I like 'Raise Your Horns' even though it has a very corny chorus.

The Doro song was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorcier des Glaces couldn't really hold my attention, but I agree on Quebec being home to quite a few talented people.
    After listening to both albums again, gotta agree with you. Cantique Lepreux is definitely the better album in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually felt motivated enough to go in depth on why I like it, earlier.
    Just read it. Pretty good review.

I used to be very into metal but I haven't really been listening much in the past few years. Could people give me some recommendations on some current bands that are recording/touring?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by russellwp94 View Post
    I used to be very into metal but I haven't really been listening much in the past few years. Could people give me some recommendations on some current bands that are recording/touring?
    Really depends a lot on what type of metal you like.

This thread is mostly recommendations. Just clicking play on the plethora of Youtube videos posted here would do for a recommendation without any specific genre preference given.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post

Literally listening to the song as I looked at this thread. I think I'm in love.

Deleted
    Bury Tomorrow and Parkway drive are both young bands in their prime putting out quality material but it depends what sort of metal you're into, the choices are so vast.

You can't go wrong with the classics though.