Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Tried healing a Mythic 5-man....

Here's my armoury:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Lupia/advanced

I main a Hunter, & I clear all the Mythic Dungeons weekly on her, still after that last Heirloom Trinket, so I decided to have a go at healing a dungeon, thinking that I handle heroics pretty well...

Dear light I had a nightmare, I got a group for Iron Docks, the tank required an obscene level of spam healing, I had to let DPS die due to going OoM or concentrating on the tank (A Warrior for what it's worth) & I haven't tried since, so, I have 2 questions:

1) At my gear is it always that hard/stressful?

2) Can any Holy Priests give me any constructive hints & tips? or any healers in general?

7+ Year Old Account
    What kind of gear did the tank and the rest of the group have? Did he pull more than one pack? Don't know what experience you've got with holy priests, but they are not exactly the strongest healers in dungeons. To increase single target healing, sit in Serenity chakra at all times if you weren't already, and try the Renew glyph.

Here's your advice: Don't spec holy unless you've literally got no other choise. Go disc. It's far superior to holy, especially at low gear levels where using Solace on cooldown can carry your mana regeneration. It also has far superior tank healing abilities if you spec for Clarity of Will (which you should in 5 mans).
    That said, your gear is fine for mythics, but there's no reason not to improve it - you can switch every single one of those 675 items with a 700 ilvl honor PvP item, and gain like 15 item levels doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your trinkets are terrible (which is a big part, you may as well have NO trinkets with those two, so you are missing a huge amount of SP/stats), and Holy is a bit underpreforming without set bonus/trinkets.

Some things to note

For mana efficiency, Flash Healx2->Heal for single targets.

For 5 mans, use Serenity chakra, keep renews up on the primary targets. Note that using the Renew glyph helps quite a bit with healing throughput, but makes keeping up Renew a bit more chaotic.

Mindbender will help a TON with mana management, it restores ~20% mana per use, ~40% with BL up.

Saving Grace helps a TON with emergency healing in 5 mans. Serenity->Saving Gracex2 takes a tank from 1-100% in 3 globals, and gives a huge HoT to boot.

Divine Hymn is something of a weak 5 man heal, it doesn't heal enough to be worth channeling in 5 mans. The only time you should use it is to prep for a big AoE burst, as the HoT heal/10% boost from it is useful. Otherwise though, don't use.

Power Infusion is a strong healing CD, and may be worth taking over Twist of Fate if you have periods where you need to heal your fingers off.

Binding Heal is a cheap, fast efficient heal that heals both you and the target for a minor amount. If you don't need to flash heal, 2x Binding Heal->Heal is very mana efficient. The glyph for it is PERFECT for 5 mans - You heal yourself and 3 targets. Overall the same amount of healing as Flash Heal, but split to 3 targets, and is 25% cheaper to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    Jesus, Mark of Supreme Doom?

Keep it in bags to boost your ILVL in group finder but for God's sake, please don't actually equip it for any content like mythic dungeons or raids. It's just SO BAD. 640 LFR trinkets beat this one.

As Draco suggested, farm up some easy honour gear and replace your timewarped and baleful crap. I did mythics back when 6.2 was new content with an average ilvl of 665-670 and it was a pain on healing, cos those dungeons are no joke at 665 ilvl (granted we had BRF tier and epic khadgar's ring, but still). If stuff doesn't die fast, the damage intake on whole party is HUGE. With disc spec and better gear it shouldn't be a problem to keep up even mediocre tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Your trinkets are terrible (which is a big part, you may as well have NO trinkets with those two, so you are missing a huge amount of SP/stats), and Holy is a bit underpreforming without set bonus/trinkets.
    What are you talking about. Chipped soul prism isn't that bad...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girouette View Post
    Dear light I had a nightmare, I got a group for Iron Docks, the tank required an obscene level of spam healing
    I've never met you and haven't clicked on your Armory, but I think I found your problem.

Iron Docks has four bosses. None should require an obscene amount of spam tank healing.

1) Wolf Rider McGee throws fire on the ground which anyone with half a brain should move out of immediately. He casts a Fear Bubble if you keep hitting him, but doesn't actually do damage. The wolf doubles up on melee attacks for a short period of time, but that's about it.

2) The Boat Council can be a bit of a challenge for a team that doesn't know what "hold DPS" means, but the tank shouldn't be in massive trouble here, either. The Blood Bolts are interruptable and don't hit all that hard, the big dumb brute announced before he whirlwindleaps so that can be avoided, and the goblin should ignore the tank completely.

3) I Didn't Mean The Cat has a frontal attack that's so slow it's not just telegraphed, it's pony expressed. He pounces on a guy that's not the tank, so no issue there. And he summons two types of adds, neither of which focus on the tank (the wolves fixate, the rylak spews randomly).

4) Captain Meat and Gronn Potato are arguably the easiest tank fight in all of Mythics. Neither of them do anything special to the tank at all. Yeah, the tank has to hide behind boxes like everyone else, but that's not tank-specific.

Everything else is melee. So this means one of three things was happening:
    A) Your tank was so uselessly skilled, uselessly geared, or both that they fail at their class in general, not just Mythics.
    B) Your tank has no idea about encounter mechanics
    C) Your tank pulled levels of trash beyond your ability to heal, which is their fault after the first pull. It's not a heroic, guys, slow the hell down!

A and/or B are not your fault. C might be your problem, but it's not your fault. A tank that pulls beyond the healer's proven ability is the one causing the issue, not the healer.

Can/should you get better gear? Yes. Is a tank requiring spam healing your fault for not providing? No.

And I am a tank, just so we're clear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GSN View Post
    What kind of gear did the tank and the rest of the group have? Did he pull more than one pack? Don't know what experience you've got with holy priests, but they are not exactly the strongest healers in dungeons. To increase single target healing, sit in Serenity chakra at all times if you weren't already, and try the Renew glyph.
    The tank's gear wasn't bad per se, If I recall it was a mixture of normal mode HFC & other stuff, around 697 or so, he pulled a lot at the start, but as soon as he saw me struggling he slowed down, that said I don't recall seeing many other tanks taking that much punishment.

Breccia, remember that he might not be talking about bosses. Trash is very often more dangerous than bosses in mythic dungeons, especially if you pull a lot. As a warrior he'd have no tool to round up the ranged mobs at the start of the instance, so if he went for two packs instantly (so one lieutenant and the initial pack) there'd be multiple ranged fuckers just randomely dealing out dots along with the pressure of 5-6 mobs on him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Breccia, remember that he might not be talking about bosses. Trash is very often more dangerous than bosses in mythic dungeons
    Hence Part C. Still not his fault, after the first pull.

People still run tanks for mythic dungeons?

Deleted
    Well, just tried a Mythic Grimrail, it probably went even worse to be honest, I think the problem this time wasn't the tank, he was better, but the dps taking a shitload of damage doesn't help, especially when my AoE heals heal for sweet FA.

Food for thought.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    How many pugs with 700 ilvl don't?

Sub 700 you're going to have a difficult time... especially if you're with a group that either isn't very competent or isn't very well-geared (or both).

Mythic Dungeons aren't necessarily HARD ... but some of them have some serious gear checks. I ran 4 today with my (at the time) 713 Discipline Priest, and there were moments where I had to pump Flash Heal into the tank to keep him up; or accept that a DPS was just not going to survive. It's not unlike Raiding. Normal Raiding is easy... you can stand in crap and the damage isn't so bad that most healing cannot outpace it. But then you jump into Heroic or Mythic and everything starts to matter. The mechanics you shrugged off before suddenly have impact.

Worst I've encountered is when players don't understand that this isn't just a 5-man dungeon. They usually realize that after turning 3 safe pulls into 1 immediate wipe on the trains

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girouette View Post
    Well, just tried a Mythic Grimrail, it probably went even worse to be honest, I think the problem this time wasn't the tank, he was better, but the dps taking a shitload of damage doesn't help, especially when my AoE heals heal for sweet FA.
    You mean the train where orcs use flamethrowers and grenades in a train four yards wide, with LOS boxes every five yards? I'm not sure that's the best example. I hate that place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by plastkin View Post
    people still run tanks for mythic dungeons?
    i'm special! notice me! someone... anyone... pls

Deleted
    Ok, well, switched to my roughly similar geared Holy Pally, & it was much much easier....

Maybe I'm not as good as a Holy Priest or I need to go Disc.

Edit: It was actually ridiculous how much easier it was, the tank was a Bear, & I prefer healing them above the other tanks (I used to tank on a Bear, its just personal preference!) but I hardly had mana issues. the Dungeon was BSM.
    Last edited by mmoc0f38054b92; 2016-04-01 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    i'm special! notice me! someone... anyone... pls
    it's ok, sin pie will notice u one day i am sure

Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    people run 4 dps 1 healer and can't pull every trash pack from 1 boss to the next because they have no tank slowing down the run? seems stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    people run 4 dps 1 healer and can't pull every trash pack from 1 boss to the next because they have no tank slowing down the run? seems stupid.
    Worst part is that a properly geared tank with dps trinkets etc will probably rival pretty much any DPS in output in a dungeon. Atleast both my monk and DK does, and paladins shouldn't have trouble.