Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    zardeth you should know wells doesn't engage in actual debates he just sits on the sidelines and makes ad hominems
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I have. But each time I change the shape of the peg I'm drying to drill into your head you change the shape of the hole.
    Where's the explanation then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    zardeth you should know wells doesn't engage in actual debates he just sits on the sidelines and makes ad hominems
    Sorry i usually lurk and skip to the interesting shit on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    You do realize I'm discussing a thing with him right now while you just throw in insults yeah? You're doing exactly what you're accusing me of.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardeth View Post
    Where's the explanation then?
    Of what? That wealth isn't just money? That capitalism is predicated on voluntary and mutually beneficial gain? That wealth can be grown?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    You can't buy embarrassment with a toilet!

That works the other way around too. I can purchase a car for $5000...spend $2000 to repair it and then sell it for $10,000. Based on your logic I should have been negatively effected by the cost of the car and the parts...but at the end I turn out ahead with a $3000 profit and the buyer ends up with a car.

I don't know where your logic is at but its going to take at least three more shots of tequila before I continue with it.
    Other person still getting poorer when you sell it. The car can only be fixed up so many times and will be worth less each time. It's value is still depreciating.

Other person still getting poorer when you sell it. The car can only be fixed up so many times and will be worth less each time. It's value is still depreciating.
    Which has jack shit to do with your claim that people have been taking issue with.

Deleted
    Which has jack shit to do with your claim that people have been taking issue with.
    Are you actually going to say something of value or are you just going to make vague statements which achieve fucking nothing?
    There are two points in that statement. Which one has jack shit to do with which statement?
    Last edited by mmoc2917e3885f; 2016-04-02 at 05:13 AM.

Are you actually going to say something of value or are you just going to make vague statements which achieve fucking nothing?
    Jesus christ this kid. That things depreciate has nothing to do with your claim that voluntary transactions in a capitalistic economy are mutually beneficial and leave neither party poorer.

Deleted
    Jesus christ this kid. That things depreciate has nothing to do with your claim that voluntary transactions in a capitalistic economy are mutually beneficial and leave neither party poorer.
    i asid the opposite of that you pleb
    In any case mutually benefit is not a predicate of capitalism. Capitalism can enable monopolies and oligopolies to form, and in turn, exploitation of the consumer, which is not mutually beneficial to the customer.
    jesus christ this kid

i asid the opposite of that you pleb

jesus christ this kid
    Your example is an example of a market failure, which is a thing. However it has nothing to do with your claims about all transactions.

10+ Year Old Account
    What you somehow don't get is that this is only true for certain products. Not all of them. Good wines tend to gain value with age. As do many antiques, or works of art by recognized artists. Hell, land tends to grow in value, given that populations keep growing and land is generally under greater demand, particularly in cities. There are essentially disposable goods, and cars are one of those, and then there are goods that are expected to maintain or grow in value.

Also, while the value of the car depreciates, the value they get from the driving of the car makes the purchase worthwhile.

You keep skipping over things that you need to place a value on, if you want to evaluate an exchange fairly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What you somehow don't get is that this is only true for certain products. Not all of them. Good wines tend to gain value with age. As do many antiques, or works of art by recognized artists. Hell, land tends to grow in value, given that populations keep growing and land is generally under greater demand, particularly in cities. There are essentially disposable goods, and cars are one of those, and then there are goods that are expected to maintain or grow in value.
    I'm talking about consumer goods which account for the vast majority of the economy. Plus i'm also talking about when a good begins consumption not when it is purchased. Open a bottle of good wine and it's value goes through the floor. Start a new car it's value goes through the floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Your example is an example of a market failure, which is a thing. However it has nothing to do with your claims about all transactions.
    What claims about all transactions? Be specific, not the vague pedantic piece of shit you are currently.

What claims about all transactions? Be specific, not the vague pedantic piece of shit you are currently.
    "Money doesn't come from no-where, someone has to get poorer for someone else to get richer."

Jesus.

Deleted
    "Money doesn't come from no-where, someone has to get poorer for someone else to get richer."

Jesus.
    Yeah. What of it? You haven't asked any specific questions or pointed out any specific flaws. Merely stating something is wrong does not prove or provoke anything. You're simply being a dick.

Yeah. What of it? You haven't asked any specific questions or pointed out any specific flaws. Merely stating something is wrong does not prove or provoke anything. You're simply being a dick.
    I've pointed it out over and over. You don't understand how capitalism works. How much do you expect a mathematician to argue with someone who insists that 4 is more than 5?

If a voluntary exchange resulted in a loss of wealth how exactly do you think an economy would work?

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about consumer goods which account for the vast majority of the economy. Plus i'm also talking about when a good begins consumption not when it is purchased. Open a bottle of good wine and it's value goes through the floor. Start a new car it's value goes through the floor.

- - - Updated - - -

How is one vague and pedantic at the same time?
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    How is one vague and pedantic at the same time?
    Clearly has an issue that is very specific but won't say what.

- - - Updated - - -

I've pointed it out over and over. You don't understand how capitalism works. How much do you expect a mathematician to argue with someone who insists that 4 is more than 5?

If a voluntary exchange resulted in a loss of wealth how exactly do you think an economy would work?
    You just did the same thing again.

- - - Updated - - -

A loss of wealth for one party and a gain for another.
    That is by definition capitalism. Companies are owned privately and run for profit. Profit requires revenue greater in proportion to investment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about consumer goods which account for the vast majority of the economy.
    With the exception of land, everything I listed there is a consumer good.

Plus i'm also talking about when a good begins consumption not when it is purchased. Open a bottle of good wine and it's value goes through the floor. Start a new car it's value goes through the floor.
    This is a completely unreasonable and arbitrary distinction. Consumer goods aren't so named because they're consumed, as in used up. They're so named because they're end products that are sold to consumers, which in economic terms just means someone who's using products and services provided by producers.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/consumer-goods.asp
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer

You're just using words incorrectly, at this point.

A loss of wealth for one party and a gain for another.
    Except that's not what's actually happening. What you're describing is a gift.

15+ Year Old Account
    As someone living in California, I'm happy to see this finally pass. Unfortunately we will see local businesses take advantage of the hike's and increase the price of their products at a higher rate than the wage hike's will cost them. Everyone wants their piece of the pie.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Deleted
    Except that's not what's actually happening. What you're describing is a gift.
    What the fuck?!?!?

I have £10
    I spend £6 on a footrub
    I have £4
    footrubber has £6 more

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    As someone living in California, I'm happy to see this finally pass. Unfortunately we will see local businesses take advantage of the hike's and increase the price of their products at a higher rate than the wage hike's will cost them. Everyone wants their piece of the pie.
    Almost sounds as if you're implying that businesses are run for profit.