Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Oh please... Brits may be ruder than the Swedes, but in the end, all they can do is tighten their sphincters, because it is only a matter of time until this situation spill over the canal as well.
    Burying our heads in the sand won't fix a damn thing.
    They have to get into Britain before they can even attempt to try and stay, which is not possible for more than a handful due to our border controls. Stop reading the Daily Mail.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    As a note on them returning to Australia, if they could pivot from Scots-Gaelic to Irish Gaelic there is a growing community in that country of Irish speakers. Small but on the rise as a family and household language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    Not trying to be an ass here but we are pretty much speaking it right now on this forum. English is not the first language of a lot of people here. I also know a lot of people from around the world and we communicate in English all the time. When doing business with asians we communicate in English. Right now English is pretty much the "common tongue" of earth.
    Arguably Chinese is as common as English. Those able to speak it are only concentrated in other parts of the world than where you or I live.

English:
    L1: ~340millions L1+L2: ~840millions L1+L2+foreign language: ~1.300millions
    Mandarin Chinese:
    L1: ~850millions L1+L2: ~1.030millions L1+L2+foreign language: not enough data, but probably at least a low 8 digit number added
    Chinese/Sinitic:
    L1: ~1.200millions L1+L2: no data L1+L2+foreign language: not enough data, but probably at least a low 8 digit number added

While English is much more common as a foreign language, the native speakers alone get Chinese pretty close to the total number of English speakers. For Chinese the only data I'm aware of for foreign speakers are the numbers for the HSK (Chinese proficiency test for non-native speakers in China). Which isn't really enough to make a reliable estimate, but gives at least a ballpark estimate for a lower bound.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    The kid is not a native speaker
    If its his first language, as the article indicates, then yes, that would make him a native speaker. Are you unable to read?
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Wouldn't raising your kid to only speak Gaellic be pretty cruel? Regardless of whether you get to stay in Scotland or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Wouldn't raising your kid to only speak Gaellic be pretty cruel? Regardless of whether you get to stay in Scotland or not?
    Imagine what it will be like in Australia, "You speak Gay Lick? What are you, a bloody poofta or something?"

Learning a second language has many positives, and Gaelic is a dieing language which the Scottish government trying to keep alive. There are also some moves to revive the Scots language and no doubt similar moves will be taken with Doric.
    Is Scots a different language to English, or just a version of it? I can understand most of it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Is Scots a different language to English, or just a version of it? I can understand most of it.
    Erm, it's kinda bastardized English. Like American English is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I suspect it isn't his only language as the article did not say he was a monoglot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Linguistically Scots is classified as a dialect of English or its own language depending on who you ask, as the two are SOMETIMES mutually intelligible. Because there is no clear cut definition that separates a dialect from a language, since for example many separate dialects of Irish Gaelic are at times nearly completely unintelligible, Scots is for sure an Anglian language, its status as a Language or an English Dialect is still hotly debated in linguistic circles.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't his first language. His first language is oz english
    And you know this how? Again restating your assumption is basically a waste of time. If the article says its Gaelic, its Gaelic. You are basically just arguing that that is impossible and YOU know better than his own parents or the people who wrote the article. Like seriously, do you have a credible source or do you know the family?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

Linguistically Scots is classified as a dialect of English or its own language depending on who you ask, as the two are SOMETIMES mutually intelligible. Because there is no clear cut definition that separates a dialect from a language, since for example many separate dialects of Irish Gaelic are at times nearly completely unintelligible, Scots is for sure an Anglian language, its status as a Language or an English Dialect is still hotly debated in linguistic circles.
    Well, some Scottish TV shows need subtitles for England XD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    In terms of Scots, yes, I actually have a clearer understanding of Scots-Gaelic than the Scots-English dialect or accent. I personally have the most crude grasp of the language (Scots-Gaelic) in spoken form and very very VERY poor literacy in it. Both Irish and Scots Gaelic have very strange writing systems that my eyes just still cannot seem to make sense of.

Manx Gaelic is much more.... errrr intuitive? for example, the verb "Write,"

Scots-Gaelic its Sgriobh, pronounced Screev,

Manx-Gaelic its Screeu, pronounced exactly how you'd think.

One reason I think Manx is enjoying phenomenal growth and success, even broaching past the Isle of Man in some cases, is its more user friendly writing system.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2016-04-02 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    In the South we need subtitles for lots of accents, like strong Geordies, Scousers and West Country, so it is not just the Scottish.

Brummies we can understand perfectly, but we end up feeling sorry for them because they all sound so depressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    who in their right mind who would want to live in the UK over Australia?
    Me. Australia is boiling hot, full of dangerous wildlife and they have ridiculous censorship laws regarding video games.

England ain't perfect, but I'd take it any day over Australia.

As for the OP, they should have sorted out their visas before trying to make a life for themselves there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Me. Australia is boiling hot, full of dangerous wildlife and they have ridiculous censorship laws regarding video games.

England ain't perfect, but I'd take it any day over Australia.

As for the OP, they should have sorted out their visas before trying to make a life for themselves there.
    I've never heard someone say they would live in the UK for the weather but okay.

That's like breaking into a house to live there and trying to negotiate a mortgage while the police haul you away.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton