Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Average trial period for a new recruit?

I'm a new recruit for a mythic raiding guild and the trial period is 30 days with all loot going to main raiders over recruits. That means it has been 30 days and I have received one piece of off-spec loot that I wont ever use. It has felt like forever. The only reason I play this game is for raiding and the loot. To go one month dry feels like I'm going through withdrawals. I know that I am complaining and knew what I was signing up for when I joined, so this is all probably moot. However what do you guys think is a good amount of time for a recruit to not receive loot?

If the guild is progressing, 2-4 weeks
    If it's on farm, could be endless. Hard to judge someone fully on faceroll content.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

My personal unprofessional opinion would be around 2 weeks. 30 days seems overkill. You should be able to judge someone in few weeks well enough to risk a loot or two. Are you going for world firsts? No? Who the fuck cares if you lost piece of loot to someone who was good enough for a few weeks but decided to bail after or whatever the 30 day period means.
    Last edited by Dorden; 2016-04-03 at 02:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adams View Post
    If the guild is progressing, 2-4 weeks
    If it's on farm, could be endless. Hard to judge someone fully on faceroll content.
    Pretty much this.
    Besides, if a guild see's potential and they are desperate for your class they'll give you all the loot you need.
    Get lucky with your bonus rolls.

A month seems a bit excessive. If every piece of loot went to main raiders then they are still progressing?

Perhaps they've picked up on you being a loot whore.

10+ Year Old Account
    "If it's on farm, could be endless. Hard to judge someone fully on faceroll content."

Then don't trial people on farm content. Seriously, make a decision. If you can't on ability because you're blasting through farm content then decide based on temperament, etc. But it's BS to keep someone in trial status and not give them loot indefinitely because of that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    I'm a new recruit for a mythic raiding guild and the trial period is 30 days with all loot going to main raiders over recruits. That means it has been 30 days and I have received one piece of off-spec loot that I wont ever use. It has felt like forever. The only reason I play this game is for raiding and the loot. To go one month dry feels like I'm going through withdrawals. I know that I am complaining and knew what I was signing up for when I joined, so this is all probably moot. However what do you guys think is a good amount of time for a recruit to not receive loot?
    Personally.

I think the first 2 raids will define it all.

1st raid for the first impressions obviously. And sometimes the recruit may fail at things etc. etc. which is normal, it happens. People overlook these things because it was your first time with the team and most specifically the first time with the synergy and the way the team is doing things.

2nd raid is more defining. Especially on mistakes. If you're repeating the 1st raids mistakes all over again, well. You can be kept in that trial period but I believe these will the most impactful in making a decision with you. If you're slow to recover and still show the same after 2 weeks. You're out.

Personally, in your position. Either the guild or you, one is the problem. You'll know which one yourself, I'm not going to judge.

In any case though, I'd leave that guild ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    "If it's on farm, could be endless. Hard to judge someone fully on faceroll content."

Then don't trial people on farm content. Seriously, make a decision. If you can't on ability because you're blasting through farm content then decide based on temperament, etc. But it's BS to keep someone in trial status and not give them loot indefinitely because of that.
    Well if it's farm you will get loot as a trial anyway because everyone will be full gear or close to it.

Also if you give this much of a fuck about gear, gtfo progression guilds. Loot is a tool for the guild, not a reward for the player.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I've never had anyone join the guild who I couldn't immediately tell if they would be an asset or not.
    Now gear is another story, but usually after the first week I can decide exactly in what capacity the player will be.

But then again, we interview our players heavily before they ever join so 8/10 times I already know if they are going to be a successful part of the guild before they even join it.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adams View Post
    Well if it's farm you will get loot as a trial anyway because everyone will be full gear or close to it.

Also if you give this much of a fuck about gear, gtfo progression guilds. Loot is a tool for the guild, not a reward for the player.
    mmm good point about the loot.

And while I agree with you about loot being a tool for the guild it's silly not to realize that it's ALSO a motivator for the player. Everyone likes to get new shinies.

My overal point stands though - make a decision. Don't string a trial along.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    My overal point stands though - make a decision. Don't string a trial along.
    Pretty sure everyone is free to leave at any point.
    We have around three weeks at the moment but let's face it becoming member is just a token gesture and I have no doubt that some of them won't be able to establish themselves and will likely not end up being all that often in the roster during progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Pretty sure everyone is free to leave at any point.
    We have around three weeks at the moment but let's face it becoming member is just a token gesture and I have no doubt that some of them won't be able to establish themselves and will likely not end up being all that often in the roster during progression.
    None of that is a reason for the RL etc to avoid making a decision. WTF is so controversial about making a call after 2-4 weeks?

Also "... becoming member is just a token gesture".... Not to a raider looking for a guild. If you give them a spot, they can stop looking, otherwise they need to app to other guilds, etc. More of an issue in Mythic of course with N and H being flex.
    Last edited by clevin; 2016-04-03 at 04:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I mean 30 days sounds about right that is 4 weeks of raiding and honestly so many people are me me me out there I find it's a good thing to force them to produce something for the people who have proven they are going to hang around before they are allowed to get stuff.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    I would say the ideal time is 2 weeks. It is surprisingly easy to see how people are going to perform from a single or 2 raid lockouts. Also their character, approach to the game and general attitude is something that you get out of people even after the first raid night. If you, as a raid leader/officer, are good at communicating with your raiders, you should never really have to put people in trail for very long. In my opnion, having a trial phase for 1 month or longer, is really way too long, especially if you lock recruits/trials from getting gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    One more comment... In some ways farm content is a better indicator of the kind of player they are. Even though they don't have to are they still putting forth top effort? Avoiding damage when it can be avoided? Using abilities correctly? Doing things like switching to adds when they should? Because in farm content it's easy to get lax about that stuff and if they're still putting forth the effort to do things the right way and hitting the meter marks they should... that's probably a good player.

Deleted
    4 Weeks. Regardless of farm or progress periods.

1st week - Let them learn the way we do things. First impressions. Completely ignore dps. We tell all our trials for week 1 we do not care about the dps they do.

2nd week - Look at their communication and attitude. Give them important jobs in encounters to see if they are up to the task. Factor in their dps but more how they execute fights. Damage taken, defensives, health pots etc.

3rd week - How competitive is their dps.

4th week. Have they pulled it all together and can compete with your raiders while not being a complete arsehole and they fit into the guild

Yeah they should be able to assess and a pretty good idea how you are. But maybe they have had bad experiences with ppl leaving very quick after getting loot. But surely they can give you some stuff you can use. Whats the guilds reputation? do they have a revolving door of new players? what loot system do they use? But yeah depends how bad you want in this guild, could be some geared mythic guilds who dont need much loot and need ppl

10+ Year Old Account
    How about the 3-4 bonus rolls per week? Do they rather DE stuff than give it to a recruit?

Sounds like a discussion we'd see back in TBC or something. I thought it was more like the recruit's market by now, what with us being in a content-rot between expansions and all.

I get the whole "trials should never get loot", but it makes no sense in many scenarios;
    - They are progressing: If they recruited you, they probably want to use you, and you're not useful if you don't get gear to keep up with the rest.
    - Farm. Most are probably full bis if its farm anyways, so why not give to trials. This tier we let trials roll on loot in their first raid during farm, it's not like we needed the gear anyways.
    You did leave out a lot of info though. Progress or farm? Who gets the loot that you'd want (offspec/tier for procs, over you getting upgrades?). It's hard to have an opinion with so little information.

Either way I think a full month without getting loot is silly.