Increasing blood dk dps

so I am looking to do more dps as blood dk since I am our backup tank and only tank for farm content where surviving is trivial. We have another blood dk in the group and I am never able to beat his dps even though I am using BoS and he isn't.

Here are some logs of a mythic Fel Lord kill where he basically let me solo tank so I could rank for healing

warcraftlogs.com/reports/mMW87GcxJfK9CkYB#fight=3&type=damage-done

Beardgax is me.
    us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Beardgax/advanced is my armory although I have gotten another 10 item levels since that kill

I know I was 15 item levels lower than him but I was using breath and vial of convulsive shadows (mythic and socketed +75 multi)

other than casting soul reaper more (only used it twice because I'm bad) what can I do to improve my dps?

Also, for trinkets I have both BoAs, a heroic plume, reaper's harvest and EDH, mythic socketed vial of convulsive shadows, mythic socketed UeH and mythic warforged DC, what combination is best for dps and what one should I use with the plume when I need some mitigation but I can still have a dps trinket on? (for full mitigation I use plume and purified shard)

Thanks in advance

I am also happy to answer any questions
    Last edited by Nygax; 2016-03-31 at 04:07 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why didn't you use Breath on pull? You missed a Plague Leech, and your Soul Reaper usage is very low. Also, you really shouldn't be using that heirloom trinket at all, and definitely not on Zakuun, which is an extremely easy fight to survive on as a tank, so you can swap that out for the UeH. Your casts per minute seem fairly low as well.

I'm not completely sure why your damage is that low, though. Enchanting mastery with BoS is fairly questionable.
    Last edited by Veiled Shadow; 2016-03-31 at 04:47 PM.

You only casted Soul Reaper twice (it's your hardest hitting ability make use of it as frequently as possible), DRW once, ERW wasn't used during breath (you can use this to recharge all your runes and give you RP to keep it going), Breath+Vial+Ring once (and it didn't even line up with lust). If you ring + breath on pull, it'll be back up for a second use during lust.

Don't open w/ Icy Touch + Plague leech, you miss a death strike into ring that way. Army prepull into a blood boil while running in, that'll yield you RP to outbreak. Then ring>DS>BoS>DS>continue rotation. Don't delay actions in the opener while you do this.

If you get sent down on Zakuun, your damage is going to fall off hard.

During your one ring cast as well, you casted a very very low amount of abilities. Ring is your burst damage window, you overcapped blood charges for a long time and didn't mass spam abilities into it. On top of that your BoS only lasted 30 seconds w/ a vial use. You should be able to manage at least 50-60 seconds on Zakuun if you're using Vial, but then again not having lust during it also affects you.

As far as trinkets go, EDH will yield you a ton of damage when compared to other trinkets (which you didn't equip). If you're feeling spicy and want to leave it up to RNG for back to back procs, UeH is best to be paired with it for most fights, and Fel Cleave is good for consistent cleave fights but otherwise it sucks because it was nerfed too much (Iskar and Xhul? [although UeH is better on Xhul imo]) If your goal is to do damage, then use double dps trinkets. Class trinket is dogshit never equip it, Anzu's provides more self-healing value and is decent as a mitigation trinket so use it w/ EDH if you're having difficulty on a given boss with survivability but it provides little offensive benefit, Vial is decent on most fights to get used to BoS as it provides a buffer for uptime (if you're having difficulty keeping BoS up for 40+ seconds then use it w/ EDH, and as far as BoA's go the DPS one is decent on Zakuun only if you kill it ~60s and you get chain procs and the tank one is just bad (the only time you would even bother with it is Tyrant I guess but if you have WuE then you would just use that because it's way way better).

As far as other things go, gemming and enchanting mastery sucks, go with MS. You also just need way more MS on your gear, the stat itself is worth too much to miss out on. Heroic pieces with MS > Mythic WF pieces without it.

And finally, having a 735 ring compared to a 795 one is putting you at a severe disadvantage.

Jet memes cant melt dank fuel.

I was logged out in the gear that I use for defile, I just relogged with my BoS gear on, also I just switched from hunter to unholy dk (for xhul/mannoroth) so my rings are a long way from being upgraded.

So it's not worth it to pool runic power on the pull before I use breath, I just want to death strike to get enough runic power to get it going and then keep it up as long as possible?

also because blizz hates me no warlord's unseeing eye yet

worth switching the enchants on my tank ring and cloak to multistrike even for defile since survival is so easy now?
    Last edited by Nygax; 2016-03-31 at 05:31 PM.

Deleted
    No, you should defiantly pool some RP before popping BoS. Like maybe hit 70-80 BoS then use it. It shouldn't be taking more than a few seconds to hit 100 RP though. It took you 90 seconds to use BoS on Zakkun. Which is nearly the entire cooldown of the ability.

The way your doing it, is a bit weird. Since you us BL at the end, which is after the two minute mark you should ring + BoS on pull. Then ring + BoS when you get hero. You might not get the full use out of one BoS, if you take the first soul cleave, but it's more than made up for the fact that you use it twice and once with hero.

There is also little need for you to alternate which tank goes in for which cleave. Just decide which one to go in both times. So then one of you can get better logs for that week.

Actually looking more into it. Is Xoneliith supposed to be your main Blood DK tank? He doesn't use AMS once, even though he takes a soul cleave. AMS completely immunes the soul cleave buff and all the damage it does. He doesn't even use rune tap either. Even though it seems like a farm fight, why bother going full mitigation which this guy is and not try to do the best you can do.

Deleted
    Is Blood DPS any good? How about frost or plauge for that matter?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xdeepx View Post
    Is Blood DPS any good? How about frost or plauge for that matter?
    This thread is about maximizing dps while tanking, not about "Blood dps spec".

Im always slightly lacking in my Blood dk dps, tried to use death coil alot more

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgayatlas View Post
    You only casted Soul Reaper twice (it's your hardest hitting ability make use of it as frequently as possible), DRW once, ERW wasn't used during breath (you can use this to recharge all your runes and give you RP to keep it going), Breath+Vial+Ring once (and it didn't even line up with lust). If you ring + breath on pull, it'll be back up for a second use during lust.

Don't open w/ Icy Touch + Plague leech, you miss a death strike into ring that way. Army prepull into a blood boil while running in, that'll yield you RP to outbreak. Then ring>DS>BoS>DS>continue rotation. Don't delay actions in the opener while you do this.

If you get sent down on Zakuun, your damage is going to fall off hard.

During your one ring cast as well, you casted a very very low amount of abilities. Ring is your burst damage window, you overcapped blood charges for a long time and didn't mass spam abilities into it. On top of that your BoS only lasted 30 seconds w/ a vial use. You should be able to manage at least 50-60 seconds on Zakuun if you're using Vial, but then again not having lust during it also affects you.

As far as trinkets go, EDH will yield you a ton of damage when compared to other trinkets (which you didn't equip). If you're feeling spicy and want to leave it up to RNG for back to back procs, UeH is best to be paired with it for most fights, and Fel Cleave is good for consistent cleave fights but otherwise it sucks because it was nerfed too much (Iskar and Xhul? [although UeH is better on Xhul imo]) If your goal is to do damage, then use double dps trinkets. Class trinket is dogshit never equip it, Anzu's provides more self-healing value and is decent as a mitigation trinket so use it w/ EDH if you're having difficulty on a given boss with survivability but it provides little offensive benefit, Vial is decent on most fights to get used to BoS as it provides a buffer for uptime (if you're having difficulty keeping BoS up for 40+ seconds then use it w/ EDH, and as far as BoA's go the DPS one is decent on Zakuun only if you kill it ~60s and you get chain procs and the tank one is just bad (the only time you would even bother with it is Tyrant I guess but if you have WuE then you would just use that because it's way way better).

As far as other things go, gemming and enchanting mastery sucks, go with MS. You also just need way more MS on your gear, the stat itself is worth too much to miss out on. Heroic pieces with MS > Mythic WF pieces without it.

And finally, having a 735 ring compared to a 795 one is putting you at a severe disadvantage.
    Pretty much this. I would add to use KB ilvl 725 > UeH & Vial if you you use ring on pull and less than 3 times (starts desyncing). the 3k Crit is stronger than the 2k MS dps wise espec if you are overcapping MS wiht mythic gear The extra RP shouldn't mean alot since you want to put GCD's into the ring anyway.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HVIIDLYS View Post
    Pretty much this. I would add to use KB ilvl 725 > UeH & Vial if you you use ring on pull and less than 3 times (starts desyncing). the 3k Crit is stronger than the 2k MS dps wise espec if you are overcapping MS wiht mythic gear The extra RP shouldn't mean alot since you want to put GCD's into the ring anyway.
    EDH should nearly always beat Knight's Badge (extremely fast kills aside). I'd also argue that if you're not overcapping, 2k multistrike (and Vial's higher passive strength) is stronger than 3k crit, given how high multistrike generally sims for Blood (and, due to BoS its value doesn't decrease much as it accumulates).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    EDH should nearly always beat Knight's Badge (extremely fast kills aside). I'd also argue that if you're not overcapping, 2k multistrike (and Vial's higher passive strength) is stronger than 3k crit, given how high multistrike generally sims for Blood (and, due to BoS its value doesn't decrease much as it accumulates).
    You use EDH with KB. You get DPS from bonus armor so its not str + ms vs crit but just crit vs ms as the bonus armor is pretty similar to the str in terms of DPS. Last time i checked in terms of DPS 1 BA = 0.8 STR. With my gear the comparison is more like 1.2K ms vs 3k Crit because of how much Vial is overcapping me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HVIIDLYS View Post
    You use EDH with KB. You get DPS from bonus armor so its not str + ms vs crit but just crit vs ms as the bonus armor is pretty similar to the str in terms of DPS. Last time i checked in terms of DPS 1 BA = 0.8 STR. With my gear the comparison is more like 1.2K ms vs 3k Crit because of how much Vial is overcapping me.
    No you dont use KB ever. Its a terrible trinket with a short proc and long ICD. UE should always be used and the second trinket depends on the boss. Vial is useless once you're mythic HFC geared as it over caps you and is wasted.
    <Royal Militia> 13/13M Recruiting for Legion.
    My DK I tank stuff and things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Positions View Post
    No you dont use KB ever. Its a terrible trinket with a short proc and long ICD. UE should always be used and the second trinket depends on the boss. Vial is useless once you're mythic HFC geared as it over caps you and is wasted.
    It is a 20 second proc with a 115 second GCD giving you 3k crit for the full duration of the first to rings. Idk what you base your thoughts on, my test in fully stacked HFC mythic gear shows KB + EDH as strongest for fights that allows its use.

10+ Year Old Account
    UE is almost half the crit staticly and a way better proc that can re proc and refresh the duration.
    <Royal Militia> 13/13M Recruiting for Legion.
    My DK I tank stuff and things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Positions View Post
    UE is almost half the crit staticly and a way better proc that can re proc and refresh the duration.
    There is no question that overall UE gives more value, however it provides less value during ring and potion. You might have you're fully stacked UeH when your ring is over and you might be lucky to refresh it with not many ressources left. The thing about UeH especially on 2 ring fights is there is pretty big chance on the second ring that UeH is basically just 1k crit where KB is 500 armory and 3k crit. On the same note there is also a pretty big risk that you might have a UeH proc when no potion/bos/ring is up and you're starved off ressources cuz you spend them all keeping BoS alive.

In most of my tries i do more with KB 725 than with mythic/socketed UeH.
    Last edited by mmoc0597266d61; 2016-04-03 at 10:30 PM.