Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Well OK, I'm disabled, and what exactly did she do wrong? She didn't even get the chance to say anything! It sounds like she was sticking up for some facility members who were being trashed by the SU's disabled wing. Sorry, but there's nothing more patronizing than non-disabled people "speaking up" for the disabled - when most of us are perfectly able to do so ourselves, and I'm guessing the disabled division of this Uni's SU are full of people who don't even have disabilities or those with fake ones such as self-diagnosed OCD/Social anxiety (social anxiety is never a standalone condition, it arises from things).

Disabled people by and large do NOT want "safe spaces" - we just want to be accepted anywhere. We do not retreat and we do not hide ourselves away in cozy little library rooms.

And most of us welcome input from non-disabled individuals who are in positions to actually offer valuable input.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Cutting someone off and yelling, "He's a liar!" doesn't really help your position.
    Which she didn't do. She made a gesture to signify that there was an objection she wanted to raise. It's saying "can I respond to that point?" without just butting in and talking over them. Which, yes, I do also find acceptable if somebody has the wrong information. How does it not help my position to add pertinent information to the discussion? The whole tirade can be saved if you point out that they're operating from faulty premises. They claimed she'd ignored the letter, she wanted to point out that she has talked privately with the writer. EOD. Whatever they were going to say after "you have ignored the letter" can be spared.

And it wasn't raising her hand, it was raising both arms in disagreement. Pretty much going, "Hey, look at me! I can't control myself because I'm all emotional!"
    Oh, were you there? Is there a video? Why is she "emotional", because she's a woman? It says she "raised her arms" but doesn't mention how high, what her stance was, or what other gestures she was making. Under their safe space policy, it's actually totally irrelevant how many hands or arms she raised and in what manner:

Section 6c of the safe space policy is defined as: 'Refraining from hand gestures which denote disagreement'
    If she put one finger up at shoulder level, to signify that she wanted to respond, that would violate this stupid policy.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-04-04 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It couldn't possibly be that the 18 that voted for it did so for political purposes, and not because they actually agreed with the objection itself.
    Your argument is absurd. Why even go to a debate-centric meeting if you're just going to try and get opponents thrown out?
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Seems like a humongous stretch to apply that policy to her actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    If you raise both arms in an area you know you aren't supposed to make gestures of disagreement in then you're clearly responding emotionally. It's basic logic.
    Saying a thing is a thing, doesn't make it that thing.

Care to show me what gesture she was making, or are you just taking "I raised my arms" to mean she was flailing around like the wacky-inflatable-tube-man??
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-04-04 at 01:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    ...aand thats why im in favor of slaping your kid when he says or does something incredibly stupid. Better to slap them then than watch them grow up to become...these retards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Your argument is absurd. Why even go to a debate-centric meeting if you're just going to try and get opponents thrown out?
    Because you're trying to get your way in a policy dispute?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Sounds more than raising a hand.

"'...I raised my arms in disagreement, as we had contacted the writers of the letter and tried hard to organise a meeting."

raising both her arms, sounds like it could be more distracting, than just having a hand raised. It's just generally rude to cause such a distraction when someone else is speaking in these types of things. She could have waited till the person speaking had finished then raised her points.
    Are you all this sensitive today? Isn't the whole point to learn for real-life and not the insane asylum house called modern universities?

Deleted
    I take her saying, "I raised my arms," to mean exactly what it means. She elevated her arms. If she was calm she wouldn't have done that and would have waited for her turn as dictated by the rules.
    I wouldn't respect a safe space policy that doesn't allow me to defend myself from a direct accusation as it's being made. Especially if the truth is something else entirely. Seems the majority agree with me, since she was not thrown out of the room for the gesture. In addition, you can be calm and object to something. As I said, if she even raised one finger to signal that she wanted to come back on that point, she would have broken that policy.

Maybe the policy shouldn't exist. Maybe it wont, once the petition is through.

It would almost be worth the assault charge to just walk up and pummel one of these idiots in the face, then stand over them and say "thats violating your fucking safe space"

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    It would almost be worth the assault charge to just walk up and pummel one of these idiots in the face, then stand over them and say "thats violating your fucking safe space"
    I really don't understand this big dick macho bullshit. "Kick his ass, yeah!"
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

this thread = more reason to vote for trump.
    Trump is a nuclear bomb to PC culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I really don't understand this big dick macho bullshit. "Kick his ass, yeah!"
    Why are you assuming the ignorant SJW would be a male? Sometimes violence is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Why are you assuming the ignorant SJW would be a male? Sometimes violence is necessary.
    One of the many conventions of writing is to use masculine pronouns to refer to both genders. It's fallen out of style recently, but I was taught that way in school so it comes out from time to time.

And I have never seen a situation outside of self defense or defense of another where violence was necessary. It's the easy way out of conflict resolution.

I need enlightenment here. What's a "safe space"? And I thought you didn't put your hand up at university and that was a school thing. My understanding was that at lectures you stayed silent, and when asked to participate you are instructed to raise your hand, but in tutorials it's all about speaking in an interactive, conversational manner where if you've got something to say, then you just say it with appropriate timing.

WTSF! I thought this safespace shit was mostly a joke. Is this really becoming a thing? If so we are fucked as a species.

Deleted
    Then you should do your best to avoid court. It's a safe space where you can't behave as the young woman did...
    Good thing she wasn't in court, then. Good thing we're not discussing court. Do you have an argument or are you just going to flail around some more trying to grasp onto some vague tangential thing for a "gotcha"? Court rules aren't there to preserve a "safe space".
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-04-04 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Trump's going to nuclear UK's PC culture?

Deleted
    Safe space.. lol.
    Since when did that become an actual thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Yep. We need less PC. Some forums on the internet are already ridiculous with the PC and safe spaces nonsense.