Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    When my brother lost his weight I don't think it was so much fat shaming, something inside him just broke. Now the guy is obsessed with his fitness. Its different for everyone.
    Replying to a few things above, just quoting this one. I don't think fat shaming works. I know for a fact smoker shaming doesn't work. On the smoker shaming topic, telling me to quit just made me want to smoke more. I knew I had to quit, stop nagging me damn it. What worked was severe policies where I live. No smoking inside, anywhere. No smoking near a building entrance. Excessive taxes on smoking. And so on. Of course, the same methods can't work with obesity, as you're punishing people who aren't obese but occasionally want to have a big ice cream sundae.

I had a few friends who were overweight or obese who lost the weight. What seemed to help them most is I showed them how to cook (one was living pretty much on bacon and grilled cheese). Showed them how to shop for food. And politely invited them to come along with me when I was doing cardio workouts.

The reason they've kept it off? They feel a lot better than they used to. Sleep better. Have more energy.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Replying to a few things above, just quoting this one. I don't think fat shaming works. I know for a fact smoker shaming doesn't work. On the smoker shaming topic, telling me to quit just made me want to smoke more. I knew I had to quit, stop nagging me damn it. What worked was severe policies where I live. No smoking inside, anywhere. No smoking near a building entrance. Excessive taxes on smoking. And so on. Of course, the same methods can't work with obesity, as you're punishing people who aren't obese but occasionally want to have a big ice cream sundae.

I had a few friends who were overweight or obese who lost the weight. What seemed to help them most is I showed them how to cook (one was living pretty much on bacon and grilled cheese). Showed them how to shop for food. And politely invited them to come along with me when I was doing cardio workouts.

The reason they've kept it off? They feel a lot better than they used to. Sleep better. Have more energy.
    You get far better results with positive re-enforcement, than negative. Good job man!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    and on the topic I saw about "fat shaming"...

I am perfectly fine with this... at 5'8 I use to weight 240lbs, what people call "fat shaming" (telling them it's extremely unhealthy) is the only reason I got my shit together and lost that weight, I now weigh 155lbs. Lying to these people and telling them that being fat is ok is not helping, at all, they need to be told the truth.
    People already know, they don't need to be shamed daily for it.

Shaming, bullying ect has done more harm than good in almost every scenario.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

Good man! +10

Deleted
    I think what most people don't get is that food really makes you feel good, It releases dopamine in the brain that is why it's hard to eat less.

Of course I know being fat is unhealthy I don't like feeling tired all the time. It's difficult giving up something that makes you feel good. I was madly in love at some point and I completely stopped thinking about food and only ate like one meal a day, which I burned by walking a lot. I lost like 20 pounds in 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock4life View Post
    I think what most people don't get is that food really makes you feel good, It releases dopamine in the brain that is why it's hard to eat less. .
    Exercise also creates dopamine. It's just not as easy as food. Or cocaine, for that matter.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlock4life
    I think what most people don't get is that food really makes you feel good, It releases dopamine in the brain that is why it's hard to eat less.
    The opposite is true as well. A lot of overweight people give up losing weight because they believe a fat loss diet must make you feel like crap or that a fat loss diet must be done by eating only chicken breast and salad.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I don't see why it is a problem. If those people like to be fat, let them be.
    Their obesity related health problems will be taxing on society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GSN
    Their obesity related health problems will be taxing on society.
    When you have a system where everybody pays for everybody's healthcare, the healthy will be excessively taxed for the unhealthy. That's not exclusive to obesity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fat people should be told to life healthier but putting this in a negative light, never really helps anyone. We should reward people for living healthier not punish them for living unhealthy. Sadly it's a catch 22 for governments eventually if this keeps up healthcare cost regardless of model used will have to go up since if you are obese you are prone to more health issues the older you become, the other part is taxes on goods. We could actually encourage people to life more healthy by pointing out how unhealthy some products are but this means governments do lose a part of their taxes income due to this.

Sadly big lobby groups like the sugar lobby keep trying to discourage people from living healthy and are willing to spend a lot of money to keep this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you concerned with this?
    Everyone should be concerned about the obesity epidemic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    When you have a system where everybody pays for everybody's healthcare, the healthy will be excessively taxed for the unhealthy. That's not exclusive to obesity.
    Obesity increase = more unhealthy and sick individuals in need of care

One of the biggest problems is food waste too. Supermarket obsessions with cosmeticly positive looking fruit and vegetables means that sometimes only a fraction of what is grown is sold to consumers. While it isn't an obesity crisis it is a food related issue.

The problem with obesity is that foods with saturating fats or sugary drinks are made available to children. Additionally there is a double burden on developing and poor countries of utter malnutrition of both degrees: obesity and those without enough to eat (under 1700 calories/day I think? Source: World Health Organisation/WHO)

The problems with that article include:

- Its reliance on the BMI scale which is seriously flawed, but like IQ tests it's the best measurement we have for such broad data evaluation and statistical averages.

- It isn't an academic paper, its an article losely based on statistic data. It doesn't consider the data based on certain perametres such as poverty, ethnicity etc.

- This 'research' seems less like research, which is annually conducted and statistically mapped and evaluated by the WHO and more intended to sell copies of a fitness magazine. Its like those oil companies who pay 'scientists' to do a study which finds out climate change has nothing to do with carbon emissions and the such.

I have to give you a 2/10 for this bait. It would be a 1/10 but you have given me a change to prove you wrong because of how academically flawed this piece of shit article was. Thanks <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GSN
    Obesity increase = more unhealthy and sick individuals in need of care
    I know, I never said otherwise.

Deleted
    Also I don't know why, but whenever I exercise especially cardio I get even more depressed and feel angry

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting articles is not fat shaming. I post articles to educate the community.

There isn't a global obesity problem. Don't you know that the thyroid is to blame!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Also I don't know why, but whenever I exercise especially cardio I get even more depressed and feel angry
    Lift weights instead....better for burning calories.

- - - Updated - - -

Because controlling ones weight is in ones control....until the fatties lack of control eats into tax dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Lift weights instead....better for burning calories.
    Not for losing weight though, as it builds muscle. You dont want to build muscles when you want to lose weight.

This is one of the main reasons so many fat people struggle to do it right here. Fat people get told how to burn calories fast, wich in turn makes them build muscles and increases their appetite aswell. So they try it for a while and they dont see any results, give up and go back to feeling like shit. It's not difficult to lose weight, it's just that most people think they need to sweat like a pig and go on some super healthy diet in order to accomplish it. They dont.

Simply walking burns more than enough calories, without building muscles. Sure a healthier diet helps a lot aswell, but the main point is to keep up any physical activity for a long enough time. Doesnt really matter what it is, but walking/jogging is the easiest way to do it without building muscles.

Really, just walk for 2 hours straight every sunday and you will not be fat no matter how hard you try.
    Last edited by Grimreaper; 2016-04-04 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Not for losing weight though, as it builds muscle. You dont want to build muscles when you want to lose weight.

This is one of the main reasons so many fat people struggle to do it right here. Fat people get told how to burn calories fast, wich in turn makes them build muscles and increases their appetite aswell. So they try it for a while and they dont see any results, give up and go back to feeling like shit. It's not difficult to lose weight, it's just that most people think they need to sweat like a pig and go on some super healthy diet in order to accomplish it. They dont.

Simply walking burns more than enough calories, without building muscles. Sure a healthier diet helps a lot aswell, but the main point is to keep up any physical activity for a long enough time. Doesnt really matter what it is, but walking/jogging is the easiest way to do it without building muscles.
    Then fat people are fucking morons for thinking it is solely about weight instead of a healthy life. It isn't the fucking weight it is the "type" of weight. Lift and burn more fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Then fat people are fucking morons for thinking it is solely about weight instead of a healthy life. It isn't the fucking weight it is the "type" of weight. Lift and burn more fat.
    Easy now. Lets say a person weighs 130 kg, 50 of those is excessive fat. Lets say he starts lifting weights, he burns 10 kg of fat but builds 8 kg of muscles in the process. He looks exactly the same in the mirror.

Do you really think this person will think "hell yeah! i'm losing so much of this fat now!"?

As i said, you can easily burn fat fast without building muscles in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Easy now. Lets say a person weighs 130 kg, 50 of those is excessive fat. Lets say he starts lifting weights, he burns 10 kg of fat but builds 8 kg of muscles in the process. He looks exactly the same in the mirror.

Do you really think this person will think "hell yeah! i'm losing so much of this fat now!"?

As i said, you can easily burn fat fast without building muscles in the process.
    Except he WONT look the same in the mirror because muscle is denser than fat so....