Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Spoilers] Warcraft Chronicle and the future of World of Warcraft

Hey y'all.

Now that we know that Sargeras is not the big bad guy in the Warcraft Universe, plenty of future paths for WoW have opened for future expansions and lore.
    With the introduction of Void Lords and the possibility of the birth of a Dark Titan, World of Warcraft has potential to go even further than 'Killing Sargeras and Azeroth is saved'.
    But do you think Blizzard is encouraged enough to pull this of and have a Void Lord / Dark Titan as the final boss of this Game?

They might as well locate this scenario in another Warcraft game like Warcraft 4, but I hope they don't leave this important bit of lore for just the Chronicle.
    Last edited by Jumpmain; 2016-04-04 at 08:48 PM. Reason: got rid of a dumb sentence

I sincerely hope that WoW will never handle cosmic conflicts of that scale. The bar is already set way too high, taking the setting more down to earth would be far more refreshing.

They need either to commit to the game as a company or just give us the end date. Right now the game is probably on the verge of going free to play because they will make more money selling cosmetics than they are on current subscriptions... they are doing the worst possible thing they can to the game.. no content, no communication, and the end of an expansion... while i suspect we will see an uptick on returns for legion.. i dont know if its going ot be enough..

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I sincerely hope that WoW will never handle cosmic conflicts of that scale. The bar is already set way too high, taking the setting more down to earth would be far more refreshing.
    I really get your point. I prefered the days of being an unimportant adventurer to be honest.
    But they can't just leave the whole plot around the Void Lords to ~20 pages inside the Chronicle.
    They started the plot ingame with Sargeras and the Old Gods, so I think they have to continue it.
    Whether it be in WoW or elsewhere.
    Last edited by Jumpmain; 2016-04-04 at 08:48 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think the Void Lords were named poorly. There have already been multiple types of creatures in the WOW universe with "void lord" for the name, and this just creates confusion.

Deleted
    Maybe potential for a whole new game? Hopefully in the old RTS style.

I don't care what big threat they introduce next - I want to go on a adventure!

I'd so welcome an expansion where there is NO big bad (for example like in Wotlk, Cataclysm, WoD, Legion) and NO Horde-Alliance war (like in MoP).
    What I'd do is... well, it's obvious we'll defeat the Legion in the next expansion, however - not without some pretty serious casualties on our side. What they can do is simply have some random Dwarf/whoever pop up and tell us that he discovered a huuuge landmass in the southern part of Azeroth. So, instead of fighting a brand new threat, we (the heroes) lead an expedition to that new continent to check if there are any resources or potential allies that could help us with the Legion.

I know most of you probably won't like my idea, but hell... I'd really love to be an adventurer, and an explorer and just not feel like I'm this "champion" that has to save the world... again.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyssian View Post
    I don't care what big threat they introduce next - I want to go on a adventure!

I'd so welcome an expansion where there is NO big bad (for example like in Wotlk, Cataclysm, WoD, Legion) and NO Horde-Alliance war (like in MoP).
    What I'd do is... well, it's obvious we'll defeat the Legion in the next expansion, however - not without some pretty serious casualties on our side. What they can do is simply have some random Dwarf/whoever pop up and tell us that he discovered a huuuge landmass in the southern part of Azeroth. So, instead of fighting a brand new threat, we (the heroes) lead an expedition to that new continent to check if there are any resources or potential allies that could help us with the Legion.

I know most of you probably won't like my idea, but hell... I'd really love to be an adventurer, and an explorer and just not feel like I'm this "champion" that has to save the world... again.
    MoP felt like a real adventure to me. I think they should take turns between expansions where we beat cosmic-scale baddies and expansions where we focus on exploration and adventure. In Cata we beat one of the BIGGEST baddies in WoW (one of my favourite WoW characters Deathwing) and then we had an expansion where we could take a break and explore the land. Ofc, we had the war between Alliance and Horde and the Sha and so on, but it wasn't the same. Well, I'm sure whatever they give us, I will love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    MoP felt like a real adventure to me. I think they should take turns between expansions where we beat cosmic-scale baddies and expansions where we focus on exploration and adventure. In Cata we beat one of the BIGGEST baddies in WoW (one of my favourite WoW characters Deathwing) and then we had an expansion where we could take a break and explore the land. Ofc, we had the war between Alliance and Horde and the Sha and so on, but it wasn't the same. Well, I'm sure whatever they give us, I will love it.
    That is kind of weird when you think about it. We beat the guy who broke the world and struggle in Pandaland? We should stay away from the bigger scale stuff all together. Save that for the books. We are adventurers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I'd consider the Void Lords a bigger threat than Sargeras. If they are, its only in relation to their plot to create a Dark Titan and use it as a vessel to devastate the material universe. Without a Dark Titan, the Void Lords can seemingly only enter the material universe for a brief time and they are powerless to affect awakened Titans. It seems like their threat is in their ability to corrupt, and without the ability to corrupt a sufficiently powerful entity, they are not a threat to the universe as a whole. They might cause breaches in the Void and send out Void entities to cause trouble, but it doesn't seem like they're able to cause devastation on the scale of the Burning Legion. They may be an omnipresent threat, but they'll never be on Sargeras' level.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    If they are, its only in relation to their plot to create a Dark Titan and use it as a vessel to devastate the material universe.
    While all what you said is true, wouldn't this plot be interesting to see pulled off by Blizzard?
    Just imagine this event happening in the Warcraft Universe, where all Titan-forged, and those who formerly where such, ally with the returning Titans to try to defeat a/the Dark Titan, born in the absence of the Titans, with probably some good Void support like Old Gods and so on; on a campaign to outbalance the light in the Great Dark.

Again, I don't mean that it must necessarily happen in World of Warcraft, but maybe in a said RPG or even a Novel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmain View Post
    While all what you said is true, wouldn't this plot be interesting to see pulled off by Blizzard?
    Just imagine this event happening in the Warcraft Universe, where all Titan-forged, and those who formerly where such, ally with the returning Titans to try to defeat a/the Dark Titan, born in the absence of the Titans, with probably some good Void support like Old Gods and so on; on a campaign to outbalance the light in the Great Dark.

Again, I don't mean that it must necessarily happen in World of Warcraft, but maybe in a said RPG or even a Novel.
    I would absolutely love to read about another big Titan-level conflict. Azeroth wakes up and fights the Legion, with all of the races on her surface as support and auxiliaries, against Sargeras and his entire force. Ditto with the Void Lords and their forces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I think the Void Lords were named poorly. There have already been multiple types of creatures in the WOW universe with "void lord" for the name, and this just creates confusion.
    Any ideas for a more suitable name? I can't really think of any for now.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Any ideas for a more suitable name? I can't really think of any for now.
    Void Masters.

I don't think that the Void Lords diminish the threat posed by Sargeras and the Burning Legion. All of creation is still threatened by the Legion (and by extension the Void Lords schemes). So, while the Void Lords might desire nothing short of total domination of the universe, they seem to have a hard time going about it. Sargeras might be weaker than they are, but he has the means to wipe all of creation away.

Deleted
    I think the whole Void Lord thing and the Void being the 'true' enemy is a complete travesty.

20 years of building up the Legion and Sargeras only to reveal that they're not the real big bads and that there's this new group of beings they made up who are even stronger, or more dangerous.

I feel the lore has been usurped and violated by the Chronicles more than anything, because of this revelation.

I'm completely biased since I've always really liked the Legion because of the mix of sci-fi and fantasy and their style, but yeah it feels really really awful. I get why they did it, but I can't stand it.

Maybe my warlock should really be a shadowpriest, because the class who's all about reckless, absolute power seems to go after the wrong magic.

It's the Dragon Ball Z effect, Frieza (before they revived him lololol) was this super cool, badass guy. But when you compare him to Majin Buu he seems like a chump. Villains are ultimately defined (not only but a lot) by power, a weak villain is not a good villain. A villain who's overshadowed by another villain, is a villain you can't take seriously.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-04-05 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmain View Post
    Hey y'all.

Now that we know that Sargeras is not the big bad guy in the Warcraft Universe, plenty of future paths for WoW have opened for future expansions and lore.
    With the introduction of Void Lords and the possibility of the birth of a Dark Titan, World of Warcraft has potential to go even further than 'Killing Sargeras and Azeroth is saved'.
    But do you think Blizzard is encouraged enough to pull this of and have a Void Lord / Dark Titan as the final boss of this Game?

They might as well locate this scenario in another Warcraft game like Warcraft 4, but I hope they don't leave this important bit of lore for just the Chronicle.
    Uhm, I hope you don't mean Azeroth...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I get why they did it, but I can't stand it.
    Why did they do it? Chronicles is filling in the gaps in the Azeroth orgin story we've had for a long time (Titans, Old Gods, Sargeras, Watchers, Aspects, Loa, EVERYTHING!!). Plus, the more you read and think about this epic story you come to the conclusion that, "Shit! They had this planned all along!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phood View Post
    Why did they do it? Chronicles is filling in the gaps in the Azeroth orgin story we've had for a long time (Titans, Old Gods, Sargeras, Watchers, Aspects, Loa, EVERYTHING!!). Plus, the more you read and think about this epic story you come to the conclusion that, "Shit! They had this planned all along!"
    To have more content in the future.

'..to the conclusion that the book is full of retcons and that they've shoehorned in new Villains that literally come out of nowhere'.

My conclusion is they make shit up as they go along, if you like it that's great. If you don't, well too bad.

They've also homogenized (and retconned) the origins of just about everything on Azeroth by saying 'The Titans did it!'.

I mean I guess when it really comes down to it, I have to be honest and just say this is a completely different direction than what I wanted them to take with WoW's lore. And I don't like the direction they ended up taking, lol.

I was hoping to, going forward, be thrown into the middle of a galatic conflict between the Titans and the Legion. Now that the Titans (except Sargeras) are all dead, there's no chance of that happening. Like I said, I wanted the game to be more about sci-fi, other planets, interplanetary conflicts and empires, a clash of (magical) civilizations. Titans vs Demons and Azeroth (a Titan world) joining the conflict. The Void Lords just seem completely lame to me.

Woe is me.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-04-05 at 02:37 AM.

From the very beginning of WoW, we knew that Sargeras wasn't the final big bad guy. some fanboy'd the hell out of him without knowing anything about him, but it's always the person who knows the most about the universe and until now, it's been the Old Gods. The Titans and Sargeras are extremely powerful, but ignorant as hell on the mysteries of the universe, where the Naaru and Old Gods have always been shown to know more.

With the path the story is taking, it's getting very ridiculous for an mmo. Maybe even an RTS. WoW's formula and limits dont fit the ambition the story is taking, future holy vs evil space battles on a cosmic scale? And an rts would feel like Starcraft with a warcraft skin, with just how similar SC2's story is atm.

We'll probably get it in wow, but people will bitch that we're not the main heroes and it should be us killing the void lords in a dungeon raid, rather than Naaru and other powerful gods :/