Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Well then clearly you are not equipped to have any sort of worthwhile opinion on this subject, and should probably just shut up rather than continuing to spew what you have just confessed to be ignorance-based nonsense.
    How did i know you would say exactly this? Instead of explaining why 1.12 private servers exist you take the low road and bash my lack of knowledge on the subject (which i never claimed i had).

Maybe next time you take the high road and explain to us plebs how a 1.12 private server can exist, but there is no possible way blizzard could make one of their own?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirra View Post
    I actually agree that Blizzard will release vanilla (or any kind of retro) servers. But not now or next year. It will happen in 10-15 years, when WoW technology will be so old that the game will be declining simply due to fatigue. In the moment Blizzard would have option to go F2P or create retro (vanilla/Wrath/MoP) servers. I agree with others that retro servers now are bound to be a financial disaster.
    I never said now, i was only guessing in 3-5 years ( i said at the tail end of the xpac after legion). I say 3-5 years because who knows at this point, if you took blizzards word at blizzcon legion should have been out already...

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    How did i know you would say exactly this? Instead of explaining why 1.12 private servers exist you take the low road and bash my lack of knowledge on the subject (which i never claimed i had).

Maybe next time you take the high road and explain to us plebs how a 1.12 private server can exist, but there is no possible way blizzard could make one of their own?
    Because they run the server in MySQL and they can physically rewrite the code as they need to in order to keep the server running.

odds are any vanilla server that has been around for years has rewritten a lot of the code to keep the game running.

the fact that the code they are using is over 12 years old is terrifying. it cant take advantage of any of the fixes that blizzard has done to said code since vanilla.

wow isnt going anywhere but its on the fast track to becoming an irrelevant f2p game.

Todays new playerbase and the old playerbase are not interested in Grind levels then grind gear. Take break. Collect pets/mounts. Grind Grind Grind. Wow has essentially always been like that. What is really new in wow these days besides pet battles introduced in 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateSmiley View Post
    Because they run the server in MySQL and they can physically rewrite the code as they need to in order to keep the server running.

odds are any vanilla server that has been around for years has rewritten a lot of the code to keep the game running.

the fact that the code they are using is over 12 years old is terrifying. it cant take advantage of any of the fixes that blizzard has done to said code since vanilla.
    When you say things like "MySQL" you have to understand i have no idea what you are talking about. (this should be fairly evident by me saying "i have no idea what you are talking about")

This is blizzard they have more resources than are imaginable. Technological barriers are the LAST thing a logically thinking person would lean on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moslin View Post
    wow isnt going anywhere but its on the fast track to becoming an irrelevant f2p game.

Todays new playerbase and the old playerbase are not interested in Grind levels then grind gear. Take break. Collect pets/mounts. Grind Grind Grind. Wow has essentially always been like that. What is really new in wow these days besides pet battles introduced in 2012?
    Again, another person who didn't read the thread...shame. Those aren't the players who blizz would be aiming at, you guys fail to realize how many people who have quit WoW would be willing to come back (even for a month) to a classic WoW experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man another one of these threads. This one is way too obvious Fascinate.

WoW is not dying. It's fine the way it is. Lots of expansions still to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Those aren't the players who blizz would be aiming at, you guys fail to realize how many people who have quit WoW would be willing to come back (even for a month) to a classic WoW experience.
    I'm sorry, how exactly would you know better?

So lets start out with I'm a scrub and don't know what I'm talking about so I create threads that are pointless
    Well said sir, well said.

When you say things like "MySQL" you have to understand i have no idea what you are talking about. (this should be fairly evident by me saying "i have no idea what you are talking about")

This is blizzard they have more resources than are imaginable. Technological barriers are the LAST thing a logically thinking person would lean on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, another person who didn't read the thread...shame. Those aren't the players who blizz would be aiming at, you guys fail to realize how many people who have quit WoW would be willing to come back (even for a month) to a classic WoW experience.
    MYSQL is a way at looking at databases. a WoW server (at least for private servers) is a bunch of databases. there is a chance that blizzard doesnt even run their live realms that way.

the point, is that, code is not meant to stagnate. these vanilla private servers are running on code that was rendered irrelevant the minute that patch 2.0 dropped. they have 0 of the code improvements that blizzard has added into the game since then. thats bad.

it's like trying to play a DOS game on windows 10, when the dos game hasnt changed since the early 90s. all sorts of shenanigans.

anyone who has experience with code, feel free to correct me. my experience comes from helping run a private server back during TBC and running my own for funsies to mess around with stuff.

What a new and exciting topic featuring bold and italic flavoring to get a moot point across.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

MYSQL is a way at looking at databases. a WoW server (at least for private servers) is a bunch of databases. there is a chance that blizzard doesnt even run their live realms that way.

the point, is that, code is not meant to stagnate. these vanilla private servers are running on code that was rendered irrelevant the minute that patch 2.0 dropped. they have 0 of the code improvements that blizzard has added into the game since then. thats bad.

it's like trying to play a DOS game on windows 10, when the dos game hasnt changed since the early 90s. all sorts of shenanigans.

anyone who has experience with code, feel free to correct me. my experience comes from helping run a private server back during TBC and running my own for funsies to mess around with stuff.
    That is all well and good and i understand that this would be a technological challenge (as a fair amount have people listed this as a concern). But lets open our minds a bit. Blizzard a zillion dollars, 1.12 code exists at least on private servers in the same fashion it did on live. What is stopping blizzard from grabbing that code and adjusting as necessary, or rewriting it to be more update/bug fix friendly? I just don't understand why this is the topic you decide to dig your heels in on as smart people with a lot of money always get things done, this is how the world works. (aka, if there is money to be made stuff happens)

- - - Updated - - -

so your post was really about how classic wow trumps modern wow and people would pay to return to that experience? Ok well my answer to that is No most people wouldnt stick around and continue to pay for a game they have already played and conquered in the past. There would be a lot of people who never actually played vanilla would try it and then get frustrated and quit. Play on a private server if you miss vanilla its never coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    Seriously? You think you're the first to say WoW is dying/dead/ending? Laughable.
    That's not exactly what he said though... You just saw it as another wow is dying thread and didn't bother to read it before commenting.

He's saying that with the population dwindling they will eventually find a way to "reset" the game. His prediction is that when the live population gets low enough that it will become more financially beneficial to open Vanilla > bc > WOTLK servers etc.. i.e. reset the game.

I don't agree with him but this isn't just another wow is dying / lets bash wow thread.

7+ Year Old Account
    So lets start out with a brief history of how i was introduced to video games. I was a gamer in my youth starting with atari but the consoles i played most were SNES and PS1 (super mario brothers really started my love for games). Around 1996 i got a girlfriend and games were a pastime at that point...

Enter World of Warcraft. On or around june of 2005 i had a breakup with said girlfriend, i was lost. I didn't know what to do with myself i was just bored. I saw an ad on the TV about a game called World of Warcraft, i said to myself "what is world of warcraft, and why are so many people playing it?". At this point in my life ive literally not played a video game in 10 years. The next day i went out and bought a retail copy of WoW and installed it onto my PC. Lets just say from around june 2005 to september my family almost put me on a milk carton lol. I couldn't stop, this game had me hook line and sinker. I would wake up, and not leave the chair until i was ready to pass out.....it completely consumed me.

10 years later i am still playing this game, but the thrill is gone.

I stuck around for a variety of reasons main ones being just how dam smooth WoW is compared to all others MMO's, as well as the fact even tho WoW has lost a ton of subs it is still far and away the most popular MMO (MMO's arent fun when you aint got no one to play with).

The game has only gotten better with age it truly has. The magic they have created with this game is truly remarkable, even today with warlords of draenor i can find things to do that i enjoy 10 years after release.

But you guys didn't click this thread to read all that, you were here for:

The end of World of Warcraft As Nelly Furtado best said, All Good Things (Come To An End). No matter how remarkable a job the devs and everyone over at blizzard have done they know the end is near, but they have a plan. (this is all my predictions, i dont know anyone at blizzard).

There is a number (a magic number if you will) that only blizzard knows. This magic number predicts the end of World of Warcraft. This number is the amount of active subscribers. Once this number is met, blizzard WILL open an official vanilla server, succeeded by tbc and so on. You see, there is eventually a point where the interest in a classic WoW experience will overtake what they can monetize with the live servers.

When is this going to happen you ask? I have no idea, but it is inevitable. Gun to my head id say the tail end of the expansion after legion. Id say 2 mil is a conservative estimate to how many people would be interested in an official vanilla experience, and given the sub number drops on live as of late you could extrapolate that easily to the xpac after legion.

While WoW wouldnt' be exactly dying, it will be the end of World of Warcraft 1 as we know it. I am not saying this is a bad thing at all just to be clear, the game does need a reset to infuse it with the soul it once had. This transition period gives them enough time to re-imagine World of Warcraft 2.

You heard it here first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pBo-GL9SRg

Edit:
    I wrote this all out in one sitting didn't read it for an edit as i wanted it to come out as genuine as possible. After reading its clear there is a disconnect between paragraphs. By giving my early gaming experiences and how i took a 10 year break, i was trying to show how much WoW had an impact on me. I had given up on gaming, but WoW was so ridiculously good it dragged me right back in. It needs a reset, and this is how i believe blizzard is gonna make it happen.

Pls forgive.
    my response to your post isn't TLDR mine F$%^& B$%^Sh$% cause I need world of warcraft there is no other pc game that will make me happy.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Quote Originally Posted by Moslin View Post
    so your post was really about how classic wow trumps modern wow and people would pay to return to that experience? Ok well my answer to that is No most people wouldnt stick around and continue to pay for a game they have already played and conquered in the past. There would be a lot of people who never actually played vanilla would try it and then get frustrated and quit. Play on a private server if you miss vanilla its never coming back.
    Well yes that is exactly what i am implying, me being one of them. People miss the dangers of vanilla WoW, they miss a challenge, they miss the grind, the miss the feeling of accomplishment when you finally hit 60. Blizzard knows this, they know they got it right at the start and they know they have an ace in the hole with classic WoW servers.

7+ Year Old Account
    herpa a Derpa WE HAVE A WINNER!

GOOD THING IVE BEEN PLAYING SINCE BURNING CRUSADE!

i mean, many of the things i mentioned happened in burning crusade,so that kind of defeats your point.
    ill never ever play on a vanilla server cause jaina wasnt around then
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    That Nelly Furtado quote...im dying mate

So many wk triggered i don even

Please search before creating a duplicate thread.

That is all well and good and i understand that this would be a technological challenge (as a fair amount have people listed this as a concern). But lets open our minds a bit. Blizzard a zillion dollars, 1.12 code exists at least on private servers in the same fashion it did on live. What is stopping blizzard from grabbing that code and adjusting as necessary, or rewriting it to be more update/bug fix friendly? I just don't understand why this is the topic you decide to dig your heels in on as smart people with a lot of money always get things done, this is how the world works. (aka, if there is money to be made stuff happens)
    well, I'm not blizzard, so i cant really answer any of that feel free to go tweet at blues if you want an answer.

and no, the code that private servers have ARE NOT the same as what is on live.
    its code that has been worked on by non blizzard people to keep their server alive. does not mean it is the same as 1.12.

you have to look at it this way.

it would take them time to get that code, if they even have it anymore (pretty sure a blue has said that they dont).

they have to take the time to give it all the improvements it needs to run perfectly on today's systems.

they have to buy new servers to host these new servers on.

they have the pay all the people that just did that.

they have to decide how many servers? what is the subscription rate? does it connect into battle.net? does it NOT connect into battle.net?

and, as they have said, over and over and over, they don't see a reason to do any of that now.

it's not going to happen anytime soon.

and Blizzard doesnt have a zillion dollars. they dont just have the ability to make new money. they have to pay people, pay for advertising, all that other businessy crap that goes on in business.

WOOT WOOT, Let's all complain about WoD not having enough content... But know 100% that a majority of players want classic server with even less content that we've all played for years... Can you say boring much... Plus as a business it would be bad business to showcase people rather wanted an older version of your game than the newest version... The people shouldn't fed the OP (Troll)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox420x View Post
    WOOT WOOT, Let's all complain about WoD not having enough content... But know 100% that a majority of players want classic server with even less content that we've all played for years... Can you say boring much... Plus as a business it would be bad business to showcase people rather wanted an older version of your game than the newest version... The people shouldn't fed the OP (Troll)
    i enjoyed warlords it was fun. i liked having followers of different races even though typical me i went all female followrs hehehe.

Haha! This reminds me SO much of those pathetic guys who, once their relationship with someone is over, will discredit their EX and seriously believe that she/he can't be worth shit to anyone else and is a crap partner for a fact.

Ex-partner syndrome indeed.