Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    I don't consider it to be. I feel it's more of a representation of a general population. As someone who lives in Tennessee, Christianity is everywhere. There's a church literally on every corner. Christianity is something that you can't deny is something you will encounter in this state...fairly frequently.

It's not forcing anyone to convert or even read the dang thing. It's just symbolic.
    All of that is fine, the state endorsing a religion is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    And so what? As long as they don't force others to acknowledge it as a holy book, I don't care what they want to waste legislative sessions on.
    Moving them goal posts....

7+ Year Old Account
    No, because a holy book isn't actually a thing. There's no empirical measure of holiness. Ergo a physical object such as a book can't actually have any property of holiness to it.
    Now you are just posting shit. You know what folks mean by calling it a Holy book.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Even as a reasonably religious person I think this is dumb. Separation of Church and State should be absolute,
    I agree. Religion is fine, but needs to stay far away from any influence on the Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Moving them goal posts....
    I'm really not. No state religion is being established. It's just a non binding waste of time resolution no different than having a state flower, or a state bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    The bible is a history book and the constitution is based on bible teaching. What?
    Strange. I always thought it was fantasy fiction, specially the old testament.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    Now you are just posting shit. You know what folks mean by calling it a Holy book.
    Yeah I do. And they are misapplying abstract concepts and having the most dubious interpretation of the phrase "religious establishment" that I have ever seen.

Yeah I do. And they are misapplying abstract concepts and having the most dubious interpretation of the phrase "religious establishment" that I have ever seen.
    Seems pretty reasonable so you must not have seen much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    All of that is fine, the state endorsing a religion is not.
    And if Tennessee came out and said "Christianity is now the state religion" I'd agree. But a book is not a religion despite it's ties to one.

I'm sure people would have complained if we'd picked some Christian Fiction book as well. Imagine if the "Left Behind" books had been chosen? Would that have been the same?
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because a holy book isn't actually a thing. There's no empirical measure of holiness. Ergo a physical object such as a book can't actually have any property of holiness to it.
    You should learn how our court systems work. Birth control policies were stricken from the ACA mandate because of people's religions. The Supreme court couldn't rule against these people's faith with well established facts because it would then be ruling these people's faith wrong. Which is unconstitutional.

See how these people will get an inch that we will never get back.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is as important as having a state bird or state fish. It will have no impact on the lives of people its just a symbolic gesture people need to calm down.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if Tennessee came out and said "Christianity is now the state religion" I'd agree. But a book is not a religion despite it's ties to one.

I'm sure people would have complained if we'd picked some Christian Fiction book as well. Imagine if the "Left Behind" books had been chosen? Would that have been the same?
    The book is very much apart of the religion. What is left behind? If it is not in of itself a religious text, then it would be a much harder argument to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    You should learn how our court systems work. Birth control policies were stricken from the ACA mandate based on people's religions. The Supreme court couldn't rule against these people's faith with well established facts because it would then be ruling these people's faith wrong. Which is unconstitutional.

See how these people will get an inch that we will never get back.
    Yeah and that's all shitty. But forcing Tennessee to pick a different book isn't going to change that.

Is the Christian Church not a Religious Establishment? Is the Holy Bible not their official book of Worship?

This law makes the official book of worship for one religion the State Book. This is not a "dubious interpretation".

10+ Year Old Account
    The book is very much apart of the religion. What is left behind? If it is not in of itself a religious text, then it would be a much harder argument to make.
    http://www.leftbehind.com/

Basically a set of Christian Fiction depicting the world after the Rapture. It's very much a book that you would only enjoy as a Christian. Much is made of prayer and God. While it's not a religious text it's basically 12 books all saying "Either follow Christ or bad things happen."
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Is the Christian Church not a Religious Establishment? Is the Holy Bible not their official book of Worship?

This law makes the official book of worship for one religion the State Book. This is not a "dubious interpretation".
    There is no one "Christian Church". It's a generalization encompassing many different religious establishments. Which adhere to certain teachings in the bible to varying degrees. But I mean, Scientology adheres to the writings of some shitty sci-fi author. Does that make Battlefield Earth a "Holy Book" by default?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.leftbehind.com/

Basically a set of Christian Fiction depicting the world after the Rapture. It's very much a book that you would only enjoy as a Christian. Much is made of prayer and God. While it's not a religious text it's basically 13 books all saying "Either follow Christ or bad things happen."
    Well let me break it down.

Its not in of itself a religious text, it is a regular novel. It would be much harder to argue against it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Was it an issue voted on? If yes, then there is no problem. It was apparently what a majority wanted.
    What part of "shall not be infringed..." errrrr no. I mean, what part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", do you not understand?
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    What part of "shall not be infringed..." errrrr no. I mean, what part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", do you not understand?
    For some, its the part that says congress as that does refer to the federal, however the 14th (and in some cases the 5th) amendment have incorporated most of the original 10 amendments to apply to the states

Well let me break it down.

Its not in of itself a religious text, it is a regular novel. It would be much harder to argue against it.
    Like holiness, religiosity is also not a tangible measurable quality that can be assigned to a physical object.