Page 7 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    and why should a business be forced to make the choice of either violating their deeply held religious beliefs or go out of business?
    You can answer my question first, since it was suggested that people need to move out of towns where businesses don't want to serve them. Why should they be forced to go through the major expense and hassle of moving away from family and friends so a few bigots can feel good that they're not serving icky squicky people who deeply love someone of the same gender?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Why don't there bring back white only tables and water fountains too.
    They will, but it won't be from conservatives for white only, it will be liberals for black only spaces.

10+ Year Old Account
    so you have no belief in religious liberty at all
    so a trucking company should be allowed to fire a Muslim truck driver for refusing to deliver alcohol or a Muslim cook being fired for refusal to handle pork?
    no because there is something called reasonable accommodations the truck company can find a different shipment for him to deliver or handle a different meat product. also your right to "religious liberty" ends when it turns into discrimination. which this clearly is.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I disagree with you.

A person can serve whoever they want if its their business. The federal government (or any government) shouldn't be able to get in between a private business and their customers. If the business owner has deep rooted beliefs that a certain lifestyle is against what they believe, they should have the prerogative to deny service, seeing as how there are many other places a gay couple could go to get the cake done. (using the example of the mississippi law)
    Rewind a few decades and there were white only business, but I guess that was okay because it is the business owners right to not serve black people. Go back even further and women couldn't go into certain places, but again that is okay because we don't want to upset the business owners. Even further we have different religions being locked out of places. Somehow we got away from those forms of discrimination but because you care about somebody that somebody doesn't think you should now it is okay to discriminate against them?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Well considering some colleges want "safe spaces" for minorities only.....
    a college is not a publicly run business it is a privately run institution only available to select groups who can afford the entry fee. businesses have no such requirements.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    No but moving is. Que that one random kid to show up from the last thread to rattle on about how grievious and difficult it is to move.
    It isn't difficult to move. It is expensive to move. Especially if you are a rural dweller with a rural location's income.

Or is this the part where we get to double dip and hate on them because they are poor in addition to being a minority?

People shouldn't be required to move because other people want to discriminate. It's ridiculous if you give it even .001 seconds of real critical thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    In my opinion a PRIVATELY OWNED Business should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason they see fit, because you know, it is THEIR Business. It is no different than someone having their own set of rules in their OWN Home. If they offend people, then those people can shop elsewhere. If enough people stop shopping there then the business will go under. But Government should not get involved with how a Private Business conducts itself.
    It's a business accommodating the public. You don't get to pick and choose what part of the public you want to serve today.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Most of these lawsuits you see are people specifically targeting businesses that they know will refuse service to them (they are doing it on purpose to be able to sue) and unfortunately it has nothing to do with a 'cause'. These people are going around and suing solely for personal gain ($$$$).
    True, but that isn't a reason to codify discrimination into law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they can use that freedom to go somewhere else, can't they?

A private business can do as it wishes. As long as it is not the federal government calling the shots, I see no problem with this.
    no a private business that is open to the public cannot do whatever it wants unless it is on private property and not open to the public.

Well considering some colleges want "safe spaces" for minorities only.....
    They are also idiots. Just because one person is being a jack ass or trying to do something stupid doesn't green light idiocy for everybody.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Businesses are not allowed to discriminate in that context. It has been this way for about 70 years now. Numerous case law describes this. What happens if its popular to hate on a particular group? What if more places decide to bar them from entry?
    Unfortunate, then. It is what the majority wants.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I am not going to lie. I have family and friends who have religion as their center point in life. I disagree with it, but I tend to see attacks on Christianity as attacks on them, therefore I try to stick up for Christianity, even though ultimately I am not religious by any means.
    The Russian judge gives you a 4 for that example of mental gymnastics.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like that doesn't happen as much as suggested.
    My parents live in a town in colorado with very limited selection of services. Quite a few "only one it town" type things. The next town is 60 miles away -- and nearly impassible in bad weather due to having to go through a mountain pass.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So the majority is always right? If the majority wanted slavery (wouldn't surprise me in places like Mississppi) should it be legalised? It's unfortunate, but hey, that's what the majority wants.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    unless you come to a town with only one shop for what you need. not everyone has the money to open their own store.
    Except we went over this in the last thread, those theoretical one shop towns don’t exist anymore in this mass market corporate America we live in, so this is a shit argument. Channeling some Wild West Brokeback Mountain scenario is ludicrous.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    The Russian judge gives you a 4 for that example of mental gymnastics.
    What does the Chinese judge give me?

Just telling it like it is. I stand up for my friends and family.

it doesn't but it does say it is wrong to participate in that sin
    Serving homosexuals food is not going to make you gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's a business accommodating the public. You don't get to pick and choose what part of the public you want to serve today.

True, but that isn't a reason to codify discrimination into law.
    This. I feel like people skipped over the lessons learned from the Civil rights movements. You're not allowed to discriminate period.
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

10+ Year Old Account
    so does that mean that your ok with potentially denying life saving services to them if said ambulance driver did not like gays and refused to drive them to the hospital. i mean it's for all intensive purposes a business open to the public.

I feel like that doesn't happen as much as suggested.

But then again, I admit I am unaware of life in larger states and how out in the sticks a town may be.
    My inlaws have to drive 45 minutes to get to a gas station. Visiting them is so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Bible says nothing about serving Homosexuals as a sin. It just condemns them.

Your move.
    Actually it specifically states you are suppose to put them to death. Leviticus 20:13 is the specific verse, where it says a man who lies with another man has created a grave sin and should be put to death. Leviticus is Old Testament, which is shared by Torah and Quran, so it isn't just Christians that believe in it.

Now...I don't agree with it general just saying, that your right in that it doesn't say it's a sin, just a detestable act. Also...fyi, there are no sins listed in the bible. The Seven Deadly Sins was created by Evagrius Ponticus, anybody says that it's a sin is wrong. Bible only has commandments not sins.