Page 35 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Look, willful ignorance of basic English is not an argument, no matter how much you want it to be.

You're just straight-up wrong about what the word means. "Homophobia" has never referred to a "fear". Words with the root of "-phobia", in English, do not exclusively refer to fear reactions. You're pretending that they do, and that's just straight up incorrect.

Nobody's forcing homophobes to NOT be homophobes. Just to stop acting on that homophobia, and infringing on gay people's rights. You've never had a right to do that.

Now, if gay people were trying to ban literally all Christians from getting married, just for being Christian, then you might have an argument. But they aren't, and you don't.
    In the English language according to Wikipedia

A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation the affected person will go to great lengths to avoid, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed. If the feared object or situation cannot be avoided entirely, the affected person will endure it with marked distress and significant interference in social or occupational activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    In the English language according to Wikipedia

A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation the affected person will go to great lengths to avoid, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed. If the feared object or situation cannot be avoided entirely, the affected person will endure it with marked distress and significant interference in social or occupational activities.
    Now try reading the wikipedia for "homophobia".

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. It has been defined as contempt, prejudice, aversion, hatred or antipathy, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs.

While i don't agree with this law and I'm all for LGBT having equal rights, it does keep a family owned bakery from being forced to do something they don't want to do IE:Make a cake for someone

I look at it like this...Private business should have the right to refuse who ever they want because they are private(family owned mom/pop type places), how ever if your a government or publicly owned business (traded on stock market, franchise, etc) then you don't have the right to refuse service.
    Last edited by Gemini Soul; 2016-04-06 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatix View Post
    While i don't agree with this law, it does keep a family owned bakery from being forced to do something they don't want to do IE:Make a cake for someone

I look at it like this...Private business should have the right to refuse who ever they want because they are private, how ever if your a government or publicly owned business (traded on stock market etc) then you don't have the right to refuse service.
    Hate to break it to you, but you pretty much do agree with the law then.

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. It has been defined as contempt, prejudice, aversion, hatred or antipathy, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs.
    Its still defined as being based on fear

10+ Year Old Account
    While i don't agree with this law and I'm all for LGBT having equal rights, it does keep a family owned bakery from being forced to do something they don't want to do IE:Make a cake for someone

I look at it like this...Private business should have the right to refuse who ever they want because they are private(family owned mom/pop type places), how ever if your a government or publicly owned business (traded on stock market, franchise, etc) then you don't have the right to refuse service.
    The problem with this mindset is that you're just propping up social divisions, when we should actively be trying to dissolve them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I look at it like this...Private business should have the right to refuse who ever they want because they are private
    No, they shouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you miss the may bit?
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Do you know what "may" means? I mean you just ignored everything else and cherrypicked a tiny part of the definition to suit your myopic narrative.

"My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    No, I'm not pretending it doesn't mean what it means, I conceded your point and you are yammering about inanely as though it matters. I applied it that specific time(and likely quite a few others for what it's worth) in the very general every use of it. You want to get all technical on me and I'm outright telling you that not only are you right but that my designation wasn't aiming for that at all but to highlight the specifics of its' common use and totally shit on that argument which is again all too common.

Go on beating that drum man. No I don't like homosexuality but I have nothing against gay people, what they do on their own time is completely irrelevant to me but I don't think it's beyond the pale of reason to have the ability to refuse them service, or refuse anyone service for any reason whatsoever. It's my shop, my risk I'm taking by not doing it and ultimately it's up to me to value the who, what and why my labor is being directed to.

Yeah we're talking about that, and I don't see any problem with that at all. Equal rights under the law would be right of refusal. There's no effort to marginalize, they can go elsewhere and conduct business and while it's exclusionary it's not malicious and not done for anything other than purely moral reasons whether religious or otherwise.
    That 2nd paragraph of yours seems to be contraditory. You dont like homosexuality but you have nothing agaisnt gays? You'll refuse service to gays even though you just said u have nothing against them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    That 2nd paragraph of yours seems to be contraditory. You dont like homosexuality but you have nothing agaisnt gays? You'll refuse service to gays even though you just said u have nothing against them?
    Self-excusing so that they can reconcile the fact they're a bigot with their belief that they aren't a bad person.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Do you know what "may" means? I mean you just ignored everything else and cherrypicked a tiny part of the definition to suit your myopic narrative.
    DO you know what may means?

10+ Year Old Account
    'A possibility amongst several potential causes or choices'.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    The problem with this mindset is that you're just propping up social divisions, when we should actively be trying to dissolve them.
    Then we might as well bring back slavery and forced labor, a person goes into a private business wanting service they are denied that person QQ's and then big brother steps in saying you service them or ELSE...

Privately owned business should have the right to refuse service to who ever they want. They are private not publicly owned, traded, franchise etc. When you cross that line from private to public then you shouldn't have the right to refuse service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then we might as well bring back slavery and forced labor, a person goes into a private business wanting service they are denied that person QQ's and then big brother steps in saying you service them or ELSE...
    Crap analogy is crap.

Here's the real reason. You are allowed to discriminate, but not selectively so; if you choose not to make cakes for a person because of 'religious reasons', you have to apply that to everyone not of your particular religious stripe.

Privately owned business should have the right to refuse service to who ever they want. They are private not publicly owned, traded, franchise etc. When you cross that line from private to public then you shouldn't have the right to refuse service.
    Being a private business does not magically render you immune to regulation, point in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    'A possibility amongst several potential causes or choices'.
    theres only 2 listed

7+ Year Old Account
    That's not quite addressing the point. Would you care to try again?
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of seem to be torn on this dilema between protecting the notion of private business or stopping intolerance, except you're not really cause you're so bent up on the first's freedom that you're willing to discriminate - or atleast let it slide- agaisnt the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    No, they shouldn't.
    By that logic a little old lady piano teacher who works 40 hours a weak teaching piano, can't say no to teaching another student who requests her service as a piano teacher because she doesn't want to take on that extra work load. You think the government should kick down her door and tell her she teaches that student or she teaches no one at all?

Yeah, it's something everyone else picked up in their very early childhood. Except you apparently.

Since you don't know what "may" means, here's a link to a dictionary for you:

may

(used to express possibility):
    It may rain.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/may

Definition of may

past might play \ˈmīt\ present singular & plural may

c —used to indicate possibility or probability <you may be right> <things you may need> ; sometimes used interchangeably with can <one of those slipups that may happen from time to time — Jessica Mitford> ; sometimes used where might would be expected <you may think from a little distance that the country was solid woods — Robert Frost>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/may
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future