Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I don't consider the bible a holy book.
    I am pretty sure it's more accurate to say that you don't consider any book in the world to be "holy" to begin with, or in the concept of "holiness" for that matter.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    "All I know is that I hear Satan snickering. He loves this kind of mischief. You just dumb the good book down far enough to make it whatever it takes to make it a state symbol, and you're on your way to where he wants you."
    Can you believe a politician would even say such a thing in this day? I thought it was 2016, not the Inquisitions of the 13th century.

SATAN IS ON THE LOOSE IN TINNUHSEEEE1!! HE KILLED THE GOOD BOOK AND IS COMIN' FOR YUH, SO HOLD STILL U HEATHENS!!11!

Well Ransath, maybe it is time I moved outta here, hmm? Anywhere might be better than dealing with the lunatics in this backwater. Like I said, fucking Neanderthals.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    How many posts here equate people who have issues with it with "SJW whining"? All I saw was people going "Wow, people calling it SJW complaining, huh!?" and some people going "All this criticism of a holy book, but when it is the Quran, the same people are silent.". Yes, it's a shitty gotcha, but whatever.

The fact remains that 'SJW' as a term can't be stretched much beyond its original meaning. Well, it can, but then it's not legitimate use of the term. Therefore anyone abusing the term can just be scoffed at much the way I scoff at the nebulous use of 'bigot', 'misogynist', 'racist', 'transphobe', 'islamophobe', etc.

Anyway, I'm against this too. Separation of Church and State is a good thing.

Edit: I have found one post you can really accuse of misusing the word 'SJW'

One person in one post in a 10 page thread. Wow.
    And I commented that I can't believe I just read that, sooo, what was that bit of a rant about again? Or was it more directed towards May here? I'm confused.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Personal XP: I had a niece die here a few months ago at 39 years old from breast cancer that had spread, and the state would not cover many of the treatments. Eventually she had to quit her job and was broke from med bills. The care she did receive was half-assed, and the people at Springfield Hospital treated her with distain and disrespect. We had to put on a fund-raiser event to help support her three kids.

Yeah great place this town and TN, huh?! Nashville might be "excellent" if you have the right job and income, and live in the right areas. Lots of things to do here if you can afford them, and if you like the C&W theme. (yee-haw)
    Personal XP: I had to have 2 stents put in my heart on 2/11/16. I went to Tri-Star Southern Hills. I have no insurance. State wouldn't cover a thing (I have no kids, so no TennCare for me) Then again - why should they? Why should the state pay anything for me? Regardless, my hospital bill was $13k. Since I had no insurance, they gave me an 80% discount. If I agreed to pay within 2 weeks they would give me an additional 20% off. I did - and my bill was $1,600. The care I received was outstanding. I also have a prescription that i have to get filled at Walgreens. They have a plan for the uninsured - I save $80. Ya, I would say this was a great town.

BTW - I am a musician that plays downtown full time. I was born and raised a rock musician but I moved here 5 years ago, so now I do the C&W thing. Yee haw.

(edit - and sorry for your loss. That sucks, especially for her 3 kids. She was way too young.)
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2016-04-06 at 06:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal XP: I had to have 2 stents put in my heart on 2/11/16. I went to Tri-Star Southern Hills. I have no insurance. State wouldn't cover a thing (I have no kids, so no TennCare for me) Then again - why should they? Why should the state pay anything for me? Regardless, my hospital bill was $23k. Since I had no insurance, they gave me an 80% discount. If I agreed to pay within 2 weeks they would give me an additional 20% off. I did - and my bill was $1,600. The care I received was outstanding. I also have a prescription that i have to get filled at Walgreens. They have a plan for the uninsured - I save $80. Ya, I would say this was a great town.

BTW - I am a musician that plays downtown full time. I was born and raised a rock musician but I moved here 5 years ago, so now I do the C&W thing. Yee haw.
    for some reason i don't believe that a hospital would waive 21400 worth of medical bills.....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    SATAN IS ON THE LOOSE IN TINNUHSEEEE1!! HE KILLED THE GOOD BOOK AND IS COMIN' FOR YUH, SO HOLD STILL U HEATHENS!!11!
    No, the Devil is down in Georgia, looking for some souls to steal....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    for some reason i don't believe that a hospital would waive 21400 worth of medical bills.....
    Call TriStar Southern Hills (Nashville, TN), speak to the billing dept. and ask them yourself.

edit- my mistake, I typed $23k - it was $13k (actually $13,446.26 - final bill was $1685.43).
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2016-04-06 at 06:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal XP: I had to have 2 stents put in my heart on 2/11/16. I went to Tri-Star Southern Hills. I have no insurance. State wouldn't cover a thing (I have no kids, so no TennCare for me) Then again - why should they? Why should the state pay anything for me? Regardless, my hospital bill was $23k. Since I had no insurance, they gave me an 80% discount. If I agreed to pay within 2 weeks they would give me an additional 20% off. I did - and my bill was $1,600. The care I received was outstanding. I also have a prescription that i have to get filled at Walgreens. They have a plan for the uninsured - I save $80. Ya, I would say this was a great town.

Since you're working you could have had insurance, unless it wasn't affordable. Why should the state cover you? If you can't guess by now, then I can't tell you.

You were goddamned lucky it wasn't a major condition, lucky that you got decent care, and it was only $23k - a pittance in today's medical costs. What if you didn't have the money you had? You'd be pretty screwed. And magically they happened to drop so much off the bill, but I don't know how you got to $1600. from 80% off 23k, then 20% off that but cool story, yeah.

Glad you got a gig. Personally as a former drummer doing prog and rock, I'm not interested in pretending to be a 'modern country' redneck for pocket money.

- - - Updated - - -

No, the Devil is down in Georgia, looking for some souls to steal....

[
    Yeah, Charlie left Mt. Juliet a long time ago. Still pretty asshat state "legislators" here.

Let me know when y'all get out of the 1860s, k?

Going to assume the state book is similar to the state's flower and bird. If that's the case it could be the Bible or Fox in Socks for all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    And I commented that I can't believe I just read that, sooo, what was that bit of a rant about again? Or was it more directed towards May here? I'm confused.
    More so directed at the notion that 'SJW' is so widely abused and has no meaning because some people (when it was one) in this thread use it wrongly.

I agree though that its use here was ludicrous. But like you have the SJWs who believe they're fighting bigotry by being dicks, you have the people jumping at the bit to fight back 'the SJWs' or simply wanting to attack people who disagree with them and being.. well - dicks.

What does it mean to be a 'state book'? Is it like being a state bird or a state flower?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    More so directed at the notion that 'SJW' is so widely abused and has no meaning because some people (when it was one) in this thread use it wrongly.

I agree though that its use here was ludicrous. But like you have the SJWs who believe they're fighting bigotry by being dicks, you have the people jumping at the bit to fight back 'the SJWs' or simply wanting to attack people who disagree with them and being.. well - dicks.
    "SJW" has no meaning, actually. I went through a few of the popular dictionaries, and they either lacked the entry whatsoever, or had something like this:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...ustice-warrior

"social justice warrior
    NOUN
    informal, derogatory
    A person who expresses or promotes socially progressive views:
    these social justice warriors want to apply their politically correct standards and rules to others' speech"

"Socially progressive views" is something that can be interpreted in so many ways that the existence of the term is hardly justified; it is a nearly useless term.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

So everyone that thinks this is ok, you would be feeling the same ok? if we decide the holy book of Islam is the state book??

Exactly didnt think so and thats your answer on how we should treat the bible in this case

Deleted
    You were goddamned lucky it wasn't a major condition, lucky that you got decent care, and it was only $23k - a pittance in today's medical costs. What if you didn't have the money you had? You'd be pretty screwed. And magically they happened to drop so much off the bill, but I don't know how you got to $1600. from 80% off 23k, then 20% off that but cool story, yeah.
    Said I mistyped - it was $13k. Look at the post above yours. And I think a heart attack is a pretty major condition. And magic has nothing to do with it, it is their policy. Like I told Bread, call them yourself. Personally, I think it is pretty fucking sweet and I would rather do that then pay for Obamacare. Obamacare wanted me to pay $350 a month plus a $5k deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    "SJW" has no meaning, actually. I went through a few of the popular dictionaries, and they either lacked the entry whatsoever, or had something like this:

"social justice warrior
    NOUN
    informal, derogatory
    these social justice warriors want to apply their politically correct standards and rules to others' speech"

"Socially progressive views" is something that can be interpreted in so many ways that the existence of the term is hardly justified; it is a nearly useless term.
    It's like when you call people 'religious'. It's an immensely vague term that can refer to pretty much all people depending on which definition you use. Many definitions have it including any worldviews that dabble in the cause/nature/purpose of the universe. Other similar words have since lost their meaning: racist, hatred, tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    So everyone that thinks this is ok, you would be feeling the same ok? if we decide the holy book of Islam is the state book??

Exactly didnt think so and thats your answer on how we should treat the bible in this case
    So because two things share at least one similarity (both being religious texts) therefore we should treat them all the same? That's pretty close-minded.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post

we should use the jewish torah.
    or if you want to take it to extremes use the mein keimpf and declare nazism to be a religion. (since himmler did establish a cult like religion around it.)your move posters that think this is ok.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-04-06 at 07:26 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Said I mistyped - it was $13k. Look at the post above yours. And I think a heart attack is a pretty major condition. And magic has nothing to do with it, it is their policy. Like I told Bread, call them yourself. Personally, I think it is pretty fucking sweet and I would rather do that then pay for Obamacare. Obamacare wanted me to pay $350 a month plus a $5k deductible.
    I didn't see your correction until after I posted. The point still stands though - if you'd had a larger bill/serious condition and didn't have the money, you'd be telling a different tale now. And TN would basically say "fuck you, you can die".

I hate ACA, it's just a giant giveaway to the insurance industry. I always knew Obama was a right-winger anyway. One look at who he picked for his administrations would have shown that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't see your correction until after I posted. The point still stands though - if you'd had a larger bill/serious condition and didn't have the money, you'd be telling a different tale now. And TN would basically say "fuck you, you can die".

I hate ACA, it's just a giant giveaway to the insurance industry. I always knew Obama was a right-winger anyway. One look at who he picked for his administrations would have shown that.
    yeah obama is a massive disappointment.

"social justice warrior
    NOUN
    informal, derogatory

You're trying too hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're trying too hard.
    And that is related to the topic - in what way?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    And that is related to the topic - in what way?
    it isn't he's just fishing for attention.