Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Yes, because the character is terribly written and a representation of the developers injecting their social politics soapboxing where it isn't wanted, not because the character is trans.
    And all the complaints saying the trans and gay characters is a betrayal of the fantasy world itself and that it doesn't belong?

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    So, why are people angry?
    (Yes, that is a genuine question. Explain it to me.)
    Because the developers misrepresent the complains and try to wage a culture war that is too big for them in an unproductive and transparent attempt to virtue signal.
    They are literally asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by death87 View Post
    And all the complaints saying the trans and gay characters is a betrayal of the fantasy world itself and that it doesn't belong?
    A fantasy world where you can change gender and appearance with the use of a belt.

I've been watching this whole thing since the beginning, I have barely seen anyone make that complaint. In fact, I've seen plenty of people point out that having a character this poorly written and this forced is idiotic because there were several items, spells, and events already in-universe to set up gay and trans characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    The other side maybe? Because that FB post is rather onesided.
    I want to hope so, I really do, but gamer culture is prettyyy bad when it comes to trans people. Like even if the person isn't "pushy" about it, the moment they find out things have a bad habit of well, having their opinions pushed on that person. They can be talked down in a 1v1 but eh, that doesn't work with mob mentalities.

Those are both insanely biased articles lol. Give me a break, at least pretend to try...

Oh look, biased media outlet's being biased and continuing the narrative that have been continued for a few years now.

How dare gamer's complain about something.

How about you craft some arguments yourself instead of just posting bullshit articles by bullshit sites?
    What's next, going to start linking us Jezebel articles?

That video of the actual character interaction doesn't seem pushy what so ever, wtf are people freaking out about. I can't count how many games I've seen the "thats an odd name" question to set up some story that no one ends up caring about.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Oh look, biased media outlet's being biased and continuing the narrative that have been continued for a few years now.

How dare gamer's complain about something.

How about you craft some arguments yourself instead of just posting bullshit articles by bullshit sites?
    What's next, going to start linking us Jezebel articles?
    ignore the written article and read the screencaps they took from steam and GoG reviews..

- - - Updated - - -

Those are both insanely biased articles lol. Give me a break, at least pretend to try...
    ignore the written article and read the screencaps they took from steam and GoG reviews..
    Last edited by death87; 2016-04-06 at 10:11 AM.

Deleted
    Even if the character was handled better people would still complain.

ignore the words and read the screencaps they took from steam and GoG reviews..

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, i see people complaining about the injection of the developers political drivel in a universe where it doesn't belong.
    What's your point?

What is the streisand effect?????

This is a (sadly) common tactic called 'cherrypicking'. It involves selectively taking specific sections or posts and presenting them as the entire argument or the opinions of the majority.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I want to hope so, I really do, but gamer culture is prettyyy bad when it comes to trans people. Like even if the person isn't "pushy" about it, the moment they find out things have a bad habit of well, having their opinions pushed on that person. They can be talked down in a 1v1 but eh, that doesn't work with mob mentalities.
    sauce plz
    Because I don't remember there ever being anything like that in the gaming community.
    (Also, while I know it's a VN and not a game, Luka from Steins;Gate is very much loved by enthusiasts and considered the "waifu" of many straight men..... But he's a guy!)

Showerthought: A trans person coming out like that without good reason strikes me as odd. Because I doubt many trans people want to be seen as trans. I think it's more likely they want to be seen as the gender they identify with. Just a thought ofc.
    Last edited by mmoc30052307fd; 2016-04-06 at 10:15 AM.

sauce plz
    Because I don't remember there ever being anything like that in the gaming community.
    (Also, while I know it's a VN and not a game, Luka from Steins;Gate is very much loved by enthusiasts and considered the "waifu" of many straight men..... But he's a guy!)
    People like Algy likes to ignore how popular traps is within the gaming and anime cultures, it doesn't fit the narrative.
    It's not like how one of the most popular fighting characters of all time is in fact a trap, nuh uh never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    That video of the actual character interaction doesn't seem pushy what so ever, wtf are people freaking out about. I can't count how many games I've seen the "thats an odd name" question to set up some story that no one ends up caring about.
    I agree with you really. It seems absolutely fine to me, though of course the Baldur's Gate way would be to offer a negative response as well (i.e "Yawn, what a dull tale. Lets talk about something else."). The options range from positive to entirely neutral and in that depart from what this game is acclaimed for. The impact of three lines of dialogue in a game that comprises millions of them is entirely negligible and should be treated as such. This qualifies not as shoe-horning, nor as it being forced in anyone's face. All those responses are phobic, since these lines would not have attracted attention if they were attached to a different story ("I made up my own name because my father used to beat me and I didn't want to have anything to do with that part of my past anymore").

To my mind, however, the fact that three lines of dialogue most players probably never read are ruining a game's review scores because of some kind of herd-mentality inspired projection of individual uncertainty is the really staggering thing about this. It's just mind-bogglingly idiotic that thousands of hours of work are being devalued.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2016-04-06 at 10:19 AM.

This is a (sadly) common tactic called 'cherrypicking'. It involves selectively taking specific sections or posts and presenting them as the entire argument or the opinions of the majority.
    Yall said there was no transphobic hate involved with this game. I showed it. Now you're moving the goal post further back. Lol.

Yall said there was no transphobic hate involved with this game. I showed it. Now you're moving the goal post further back. Lol.
    People complaining about the injection of political drivel in a game where it doesn't belong or where nobody asked for it is homophobia now?
    You are reaching so fucking hard, lel.

Again ignoring this completely.
    I've been watching this whole thing since the beginning, I have barely seen anyone make that complaint. In fact, I've seen plenty of people point out that having a character this poorly written and this forced is idiotic because there were several items, spells, and events already in-universe to set up gay and trans characters.

It's getting pathetic.

No one said there wasn't any only that its not the focus of the argument. You are always going to get a couple of fools...

sauce plz
    I haven't actually watched that show/game yet, but it seems like that character is a very feminine guy, not trans. It is a weird distinction. Idk, I would use this controversy as a pretty good example given it seems like a typical plot device where someone explained their past. I watched the video, I don't see what the fuss is about. It was typical of a character but this one happened to be trans, people need to calm their tits.