Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    My mortgage is $900 a month, for a brick 3bdr on 4+ acres. Forbes 2nd best county in the county to raise a family, great schools. Zero crime. Low taxes. Rent for a 2bdr hovers around $640

In the ghetto of LA they want 200k+ for a Shack. $1500 a month to rent a two room slum.

California's Marxists policy's and open border has made that state a leftist utopia. Diverse, high crime, high taxes. A true hellhole.

Enjoy your bed, you made it.

Enjoy your $5 tacos.

I'll be eating grass fed top sirloin for $1.99 a pound.

You deserve it.
    Meh, Already pay $5 for tacos...it is part of living and working here.
    If I couldn't "afford it" I wouldn't be here.

Oh, by the way...if any product you have comes from or through Cali...you will be paying more for it ...seeing as we have 2 of the largest ports ,and are a major Agri. hub.....,well...your money will be helping to pay for it.

Enjoy that !!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Just curious. Is the guy loading the trucks that send your Amazon Prime shipments working his butt off? The drivers involved?
    There is working hard for someone else and there is working hard towards goals and a better future.

I could also go work and put packages into trucks all day long but it's hard working without getting anywhere.
    I've been at the bottom and I had a fierce drive and motivation to get the hell out of there, planning and working my way up.

Is this for everyone? I suppose not. I personally had to take a lot of risks and had to keep looking for motivation every time I failed, failed and failed again until I finally got my life in a better place. Not everyone can- or is willing to do that.

This is life. You don't get it handed over and you don't get rewarded for doing basic things that a child can do.
    Funny enough, it's always in Western countries where people complain about not getting paid a lot for doing the jobs fulltime a college student should be doing in his spare time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    We aren't preserving anything. You can stop frequenting those establishments, and if enough people stop frequenting them, they will close or have to downsize. Same effect, job loss.

I've lived in 2 major cities where multiple fast food chains have gone to a primary touchscreen order system and the drive-thru has been outsourced to who knows what foreign country. I've had friends who worked at fast food places that have been let go because once the companies utilized those services they didn't need a full staff any longer.

I can tell you if rather frequent a place that pays federal minimum wage and has a full human staff than a place that pays a living wage to 2-4 employees who still can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.
    And yet, in spite all this, entry level and minimum wage jobs are going up. People seem to think these positions that are being replaced are the only minimum wage jobs out there. Meanwhile min wage jobs are created every day. The scope of your perception of this situation is narrow and telling.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    And yet, in spite all this, entry level and minimum wage jobs are going up. People seem to think these positions that are being replaced are the only minimum wage jobs out there. Meanwhile min wage jobs are created every day. The scope of your perception of this situation is narrow and telling.
    Ya people seem to think only Mc Donalds and wal-mart are paying min wage. Lots of places are paying min wage or paying around $1.50 more but you get to work low hours.

It isn't just the flipping burgers and stock people having to deal with it. But unlike those people I live in the reality where this is happening.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Meh, Already pay $5 for tacos...it is part of living and working here.
    If I couldn't "afford it" I wouldn't be here.

Oh, by the way...if any product you have comes from or through Cali...you will be paying more for it ...seeing as we have 2 of the largest ports ,and are a major Agri. hub.....,well...your money will be helping to pay for it.

Enjoy that !!
    That's nice dear.

Besides electronics I don't buy anything from China, Mexico or the left coast. Enjoy your utopia.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's nice dear.

Besides electronics I don't buy anything from China, Mexico or the left coast. Enjoy your utopia.
    So your only food is the aforementioned local beef? Isn't that kind of binding?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So your only food is the aforementioned local beef? Isn't that kind of binding?
    Farmers markets and greenhouses. Here in the Midwest we do things a little different.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Horrible example since the wage increase would happen over the next 7 years. Even these crazy liberals know you cannot add a tremendous cost to businesses within 1 year.

I would also argue that lets say even at $10/hr in CA and you still cannot live on that wage and thus have to use entitlement programs. Well, then I as a taxpayer am paying to keep you in business.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, that is fine. So don't bitch about it as a taxpayer when you are paying for people's welfare to live or the choice as a consumer to pay a little extra more if you choose to frequent that business.
    A 1 bedroom apartment in my area is roughly $1300/month right now. A single full time minimum wage job would get me $1600/month. And this is one of the 'cheaper' places. I'm sure apartments/houses are cheaper further north or inland, but the job quantity and type's are fewer. It's a necessity to either continue living at home, get roommates, work multiple jobs, etc.

In the 3 years I've lived in this apartment complex, that single bedroom has gone from $800/month to $1300/month (~17.5% increase per year). 3 years ago, minimum wage was $8/hour. Following the same progression, 3 years from now, that apartment will be $2100 and minimum wage will be $13/hour ($2080/month). Knowing my current management/owner group, I wouldn't doubt they keep the same progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Which is why most of us advocating this stuff also advocate indexing it to the cost-of-living once it's been raised to a decent level, to prevent any further need to adjust it for normal inflation.
    Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't indexing it in such a way be akin to just freezing the economy?
    wyrd bið ful aræd

10+ Year Old Account
    Farmers markets and greenhouses. Here in the Midwest we do things a little different.
    No, you really don't. But this false sense of independence seems common these days.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    A 1 bedroom apartment in my area is roughly $1300/month right now. A single full time minimum wage job would get me $1600/month. And this is one of the 'cheaper' places. I'm sure apartments/houses are cheaper further north or inland, but the job quantity and type's are fewer. It's a necessity to either continue living at home, get roommates, work multiple jobs, etc.

In the 3 years I've lived in this apartment complex, that single bedroom has gone from $800/month to $1300/month (~17.5% increase per year). 3 years ago, minimum wage was $8/hour. Following the same progression, 3 years from now, that apartment will be $2100 and minimum wage will be $13/hour ($2080/month). Knowing my current management/owner group, I wouldn't doubt they keep the same progression.

Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't indexing it in such a way be akin to just freezing the economy?
    So you think its weird you can't rent an apartment alone when you work in wall mart stocking shelf's?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have absolutely no idea how you got that idea. No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't, even if the ONLY wage point was the minimum wage, across the entire economy. And it isn't even remotely that.

15+ Year Old Account
    My mortgage is $900 a month, for a brick 3bdr on 4+ acres. Forbes 2nd best county in the county to raise a family, great schools. Zero crime. Low taxes. Rent for a 2bdr hovers around $640

In the ghetto of LA they want 200k+ for a Shack. $1500 a month to rent a two room slum.

California's Marxists policy's and open border has made that state a leftist utopia. Diverse, high crime, high taxes. A true hellhole.

Enjoy your bed, you made it.

Enjoy your $5 tacos.

I'll be eating grass fed top sirloin for $1.99 a pound.

You deserve it.
    The county in the county?

You obviously never been to California.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how you got that idea. No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't, even if the ONLY wage point was the minimum wage, across the entire economy. And it isn't even remotely that.
    I guess I'm thinking of an economic freeze as the freezing of price changes on all consumer products.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

The state of Saint Reagan is the world's 7th largest economy. Truly a marvel of modern communism.

So how does your home state's taxes and crime compare to Cali? You may have to do some homework.

Finally, why is "diverse" a dirty word?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    So you think its weird you can't rent an apartment alone when you work in wall mart stocking shelf's?
    Not at all. It's sad and disheartening though. I've been there. I've had numerous roommates. I've moved back home. I've worked 80 hour work weeks. I hoped that eventually my resumé would show the experience and knowledge "needed" for an entry level position at some career that teaches you everything you need to know (for that job) during training. And I have a degree from one of the top college's in the state in a STEM field.
    Last edited by Rollo; 2016-04-06 at 03:40 PM.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Deleted
    Not at all. It's sad and disheartening though. I've been there. I've had numerous roommates. I've moved back home. I've worked 80 hour work weeks. I had the hope that eventually my resumé will show the experience and knowledge "needed" for an entry level position at some career that teaches you everything you need to know (for that job) during training. And I have a degree from one of the top college's in the state in a field that isn't low quality.
    Most people been there, I lived with a roommate for 3 years then moved back in with my mom in her tiny tiny house before I finally got a job good enough to move out and live on my own.
    Its what you go trough when you start working.
    Being able to afford your own place on your first minimum wage job is just nonsense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The state of Saint Reagan is the world's 7th largest economy. Truly a marvel of modern communism.

So how does your home state's taxes and crime compare to Cali? You may have to do some homework.

Finally, why is "diverse" a dirty word?
    To start with we enjoy a higher standard of living, 1/1000 the of the crime, low low taxes, our state college is cheap and has $3 BILLION cash on hand.

California is the opposite.

How is that $433 BILLION in debt treating you? Build any trains to nowhere yet? http://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/...ts-6812264.php

I have Zero use for your state. I know it hits you right in you delusional self importance.

Enjoy the $15 an hour floor moppers at Walmart paying $15000 a month rent for a box as monies funnel into pelosi and brown's pockets.

Northern California should split.

To start with we enjoy a higher standard of living, 1/1000 the of the crime, low low taxes, our state college is cheap and has $3 BILLION cash on hand.
    You still haven't stated what your mythical land of plenty is. Nor have you done an actual comparative analysis. I imagine Rhode Island has 1/1000th of the crime California has. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    There is working hard for someone else and there is working hard towards goals and a better future.

I could also go work and put packages into trucks all day long but it's hard working without getting anywhere.
    I've been at the bottom and I had a fierce drive and motivation to get the hell out of there, planning and working my way up.

Is this for everyone? I suppose not. I personally had to take a lot of risks and had to keep looking for motivation every time I failed, failed and failed again until I finally got my life in a better place. Not everyone can- or is willing to do that.

This is life. You don't get it handed over and you don't get rewarded for doing basic things that a child can do.
    Funny enough, it's always in Western countries where people complain about not getting paid a lot for doing the jobs fulltime a college student should be doing in his spare time.
    How do you propose everyone everyone becomes the boss?

No Indians, All Chiefs? So to speak.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Most people been there, I lived with a roommate for 3 years then moved back in with my mom in her tiny tiny house before I finally got a job good enough to move out and live on my own.
    Its what you go trough when you start working.
    Being able to afford your own place on your first minimum wage job is just nonsense.
    This is not about the struggle of starting out on your own. This is the struggle to actually live. People who are mad right now in their 30's on up are not starting out on a job. They either have no job prospects or lose their jobs to overseas or technology/automation. So you need to come to realization that minimum wage jobs actually need to provide a living wage.