Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I wouldn't expect them to have cars readily available to buy from them directly and have it within a month or so for quite some time. One thing worth noting is that this early demand should be an indicator of where the market is going. Tesla seems to be the premium brand for EV's right now and these early pre-order sales are a good indicator that Tesla is doing something right. I'd love to know what the metrics are for other EV sales right now, but none of them have the range of even the Model 3 for that price point. I did some research last night and the closest car in terms of range are the Chevy Spark EV and the Nissan Leaf.
    The Chevy Bolt is going to have ~200 miles of range, and will start at $37,500. The problem with the Bolt is that it looks like this:

'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I've been talking about this with my co-worker on why do car companies insist on pushing these ugly ass EVs to the public and I believe the answer is 2 fold. The car companies believe that EVs are mainly for the hippy demographic and it is this demographic that want a unique but downsized car. Kind of like wanted a clever but smaller living space. This is why EVs look the way they do.

The other point is that cars are basically a saturated industry where it is about gaining market share and there are no 'new' markets to get into. So what incentive do car companies have to produce a more expensive car with a lower profit margin to the general public? The answer is they don't. Only NOW do you see car companies making a move because now they worry about losing a chunk of their market share other than the hippy niche demographic.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The Chevy Bolt is going to have ~200 miles of range, and will start at $37,500. The problem with the Bolt is that it looks like this:
    Yeah, it's an effing SUV. I am a single man, I don't need no SUV.

Yeah, it's an effing SUV. I am a single man, I don't need no SUV.
    That's not an SUV. That's an even wussier version of a prius.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    That's not an SUV. That's an even wussier version of a prius.
    And it's also a Chevy. I'd sooner by a Leaf than touch those shitty cars.

imo if Chevy was smart about EVs they'd make an electric Corvette. The only competition would have been the Tesla Roadster and that isn't built anymore. They could charge 130k for the E-Vette and have great profit margins. It's like nobody is paying attention to how Tesla achieved success and where the gaps are in the business. BMW tried with the i8 but its clearly a failure. 20 miles range lol

Edit of course the other things stopping chevy are the refusal to get on board with superchargers and the fact they keep introducing protectionism legislation everywhere.
    Last edited by Jagang; 2016-04-05 at 07:28 AM.

And it's also a Chevy. I'd sooner by a Leaf than touch those shitty cars.
    Nissan leaves at least look alright.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content...ev-concept.jpg
    Not sure if GM is trying to make ugly cars, or they just hired a bunch of ugly engineers?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Not sure if GM is trying to make ugly cars, or they just hired a bunch of ugly engineers?
    Seems they hired stupid engineers because their vehicles have been having problems out the wazoo while Ford has been giving the Japanese manufacturers a run for their money in terms of features and quality. I know some folks with GM vehicles who are already having major service work done on their trucks because their engines designed for meeting fuel efficiency standards have all these stupid mechanisms that allow the engine to run on 4, 6 or 8 cylinders that are wearing out after 5 years. Apparently rather than making smaller engines that use less fuel, GM thinks making them big V8's while maintaining their heavy ass steel frames with more thinks to break down in them was a smart idea. I'd sooner buy an F150 over a Dodge or Chrysler truck, and I hate trucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jagang View Post
    imo if Chevy was smart about EVs they'd make an electric Corvette. The only competition would have been the Tesla Roadster and that isn't built anymore. They could charge 130k for the E-Vette and have great profit margins. It's like nobody is paying attention to how Tesla achieved success and where the gaps are in the business. BMW tried with the i8 but its clearly a failure. 20 miles range lol

Edit of course the other things stopping chevy are the refusal to get on board with superchargers and the fact they keep introducing protectionism legislation everywhere.
    The CEO of Chevrolet has already come out and said that the only reason they are making electric cars is because of public pressure to do so, he and most people within his company hate them apparently. I think their biggest fear is that they are more interested in protecting all the jobs that come with making gas engines (as well as the huge profit margins that come with it) rather than doing what is good for the planet. I applaud them for trying, but having a flat out disdain for EV's is a good way to kill yourself business wise.

Exactly Rennadrel. The major car companies may make electric cars but it is obvious they are embarrassed by them (their half-assed styling gives lie to that). Tesla seems to be the only car maker that makes cars that happen to be electric instead of "electric cars" (if you get what I mean).

Here's a pic of the matte black Model 3 "in the wild". Totally reminds me of a futuristic Mazda 3 (which is great for me, I own a 2005 Mazda 3. Love that car.).

Last edited by carnifex2005; 2016-04-07 at 06:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Exactly Rennadrel. The major car companies may make electric cars but it is obvious they are embarrassed by them (their half-assed styling gives lie to that). Tesla seems to be the only car maker that makes cars that happen to be electric instead of "electric cars" (if you get what I mean).

Here's a pic of the matte black Model 3 "in the wild". Totally reminds me of a futuristic Mazda 3 (which is great for me, I own a 2005 Mazda 3. Love that car.).
    Its still a tiny underpowered car. And probably only comes in automatic. If it isnt a 6 or 7 speed manual and doesnt have at least 350HP, a 0-60 time under 5 seconds, and a top speed of 150+, my ass isnt sitting in it

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    There's something off about the way the way the front is shaped.
    No cooling intake.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its still a tiny underpowered car. And probably only comes in automatic. If it isnt a 6 or 7 speed manual and doesnt have at least 350HP, a 0-60 time under 5 seconds, and a top speed of 150+, my ass isnt sitting in it
    "Tiny" is a good thing. I hate big cars. I've always driven compacts.

And for the cost of a 350 HP 0-60 in under 5 seconds ICE car, you could probably get an optioned up Model 3 that could smoke it in a street race. That said, I don't think they make manual transmissions for these.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Tiny" is a good thing. I hate big cars. I've always driven compacts.

And for the cost of a 350 HP 0-60 in under 5 seconds ICE car, you could probably get an optioned up Model 3 that could smoke it in a street race. That said, I don't think they make manual transmissions for these.
    Not with factory options. And Tiny isnt good. Tiny isnt comfortable, Tiny doesnt let you buy a weeks worth of groceries at one time, Tiny doesnt let you pack enough luggage for a week of vacation, etc....

Even new farm equipment comes in automatic. Manual transmissions are for people living in the 50's

- - - Updated - - -

Not with factory options. And Tiny isnt good. Tiny isnt comfortable, Tiny doesnt let you buy a weeks worth of groceries at one time, Tiny doesnt let you pack enough luggage for a week of vacation, etc....
    I mean it does if you are a normal person.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 2 door Hyundai Elantra. I can fit an entire camp site into my car. I also can fit most of my bands equipment in my car (sans drums). That is a bass amp, 2 guitar amps, 3 guitars, pedal boards, merch trunk, and cable case. All while having a passenger with me.

But then again, I am awesome at Tetris...
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Well we don't exactly know the top end option for the model 3 yet, but I would be surprised if ludicrous mode didn't break 4 sec 0-60 conservatively.

And realistically, a $50k model 3 is going to be the same cost to own as a $35k ice if you own it 7+ years if you are lucky to be able to use a supercharger a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a ton of people who are begging musk to make the 3 a stationwagon:

Am I the only one who thinks this would be a f$&king awful idea, and that this rendering looks like s&%t? I would drop my preorder instantly if this is what it looked like.
    Last edited by Kretan; 2016-04-07 at 01:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes you think you can't with factory options? If a dual motor model s makes 762 HP and does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, why shouldn't a dual motor model 3, which is lighter weight, do better than 5 seconds and have more than 350 HP?

And in my Mazda 3, I have no trouble with packing that much stuff.

My personal wish list for the model 3 features would be:

- HUD projection to the wind shield
    - Slightly redesigned front end to eliminate the flat piece
    - 0-60 time of around 3.5 seconds on the top model
    - 300 mile range on the top end
    - Auto pilot improved to recognize and react to stop signs and traffic lights

- - - Updated - - -

What makes you think you can't with factory options? If a dual motor model s makes 762 HP and does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, why shouldn't a dual motor model 3, which is lighter weight, do better than 5 seconds and have more than 350 HP?

I'd be pretty surprised if a dual motor ludicrous mode model 3 was higher than 4 seconds 0-60 to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account

I was referring to the Mazda 3 as I thought you were. Not the Tesla 3. The Tesla 3 does likely have the HP but it wont be fun to drive as it likely only has 1 gear and it takes too long to recharge. Its also tiny with no space