Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I pretty much dislike the guys with "oh another elune is a titan bullshit thread" cause, you know, EVERYTHING about elune now is pure speculation. So, less arrogance, more open mind please.
    I can say you that the tears of Elune mean something in a titanic theory, that Kalec is thought to have been empowered by elune, the talked about some "empowerment via the white lady" and given the fact that THE OTHER TITANS ARE ALL DEAD, and titans and titans alone empower aspects; one can also say that elune is Azeroth world-soul simply because the Night elves call it in this way, while chronicle, fueling the mistery, remain on the "official" name.
    Likewise, the "elune is 100% titans" are on the wrong too: Velen noted a connection between naaru and Elune, something tyrande denied but someone from blizzard (maybe Kosak himself, don't remember) confirmed that "Velen knows what he says usually" and so they are likely related. It's true also that the Night elves THINK elune was in the Well, nothing proves was true, as it's true titans are "arcane matters" which has little to no connection with the showed light-like powers elune likely has. Last, It's confirmed elune is a true diety, while titans are not.
    In the end, it's all speculation: I like the theory of elune being the Soul of the world-soul, or that it's some kind of world soul placed in azeroth's biggest moon, while I really don't think she's a keeper or wild god. She's something more, not even a "regular naaru", maybe some light-equivalent of the void lords.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    I can say you that the tears of Elune mean something in a titanic theory, that Kalec is thought to have been empowered by elune, the talked about some "empowerment via the white lady" and given the fact that THE OTHER TITANS ARE ALL DEAD, and titans and titans alone empower aspects; one can also say that elune is Azeroth world-soul simply because the Night elves call it in this way, while chronicle, fueling the mistery, remain on the "official" name.
    Actually it was the watchers that did it, and why Odyn decided to break away from the others.

Likewise, the "elune is 100% titans" are on the wrong too: Velen noted a connection between naaru and Elune, something tyrande denied but someone from blizzard (maybe Kosak himself, don't remember) confirmed that "Velen knows what he says usually" and so they are likely related. It's true also that the Night elves THINK elune was in the Well, nothing proves was true, as it's true titans are "arcane matters" which has little to no connection with the showed light-like powers elune likely has. Last, It's confirmed elune is a true diety, while titans are not.
    In the end, it's all speculation: I like the theory of elune being the Soul of the world-soul, or that it's some kind of world soul placed in azeroth's biggest moon, while I really don't think she's a keeper or wild god. She's something more, not even a "regular naaru", maybe some light-equivalent of the void lords.
    Problem with Elune = Naaru is a big one. Elune is a Goddess and actually has done nothing to talk to people to say "No I am not." while the Naaru are heavy in saying they are not deities.

But it is true until more is said most things about Elune is pure speculation apart from actions she reacts to.

Yeah but the keepers channeled the titans powers into the aspects, they did not give their own. Those very powers come from the titans, and so what the hell has given powers to Kalec in Cata, given the titans are dead from millennia? Elune could be the only titan "ALIVE" in some way.
    The possible naaru-elune relation could be that elune is a superior being, still related to the naaru, possibly some equivalent to the void lords who created the old gods.

15+ Year Old Account
    Elune will be fleshed out more in Legion. Just wait and see.

Deleted

Elunite Possiblities

A few things about Elune that I've picked out indicate that she is certainly above Watcher/Old God/Naaru level. I like the idea of her being an ascended Watcher/ the World Soul/ the Moon Soul.

The first point that I can bring up is that she is not listed under the Wild Gods in Chronicle. If she was, she would definitely be listed, so we can count that option out.

We also know that the Watchers had to commune with and channel the power of the Pantheon to empower the Dragon Aspects; however, after Malygos' death, Elune single-handedly empowered Kalecgos to replace him. Given that it was the titan of magic that empowered Malygos, and Kalecgos has functionally the same power level; we can assume that either:

-Elune did it in a different way; supporting the theory that she is something else entirely from Titans, possibly, like the Voidlords, one of the beings that exist within the Light, rather than in the material universe, which would explain her apparent lack of a physical form.

-Elune is a Watcher that was created by Norgannon; and inherited his power after his destruction. However, her manipulation of the trolls into elves is a good deal different from the actions of the other Watchers; who relied entirely on the Titan-Forged, and generally didn't show the capability to do such advanced manipulation without the aid of the Forge of Wills, or the Engine of Nalak'sha. And these actions likely began before the destruction of the Pantheon. We also know from various things related to the Temple of Elune, that Elune supposedly helped the Titans shape Azeroth, which seems like a far stretch for a sleeping soul; but not for a Watcher, or some form of Demi-Titan.

-Elune is the World Soul, and is powerful enough to be able to perform the roles of other Titans. This is my favoured theory, as it relies the least on conjecture, like a moon base, or moon soul; or the existence of another "breed" of power, gods.

-Elune is the Moon Soul; I didn't think of this until reading this thread. It is possible that, like Aggramar, her powers place her as a lieutenant, but to Norgannon instead of Sargeras. This would give her the power necessary to empower Kalecgos, as well as making her fully capable of manipulating the Night Elves into their present forms, resetting the world if it is deemed necessary, or defending it against the Burning Legion.
    ---Whether she is an awakened Titan or not is dependant on other facts. As far as we are aware, she has no physical form, unlike the Titans, who, as Sargeras proved, are big enough to literally cut a planet in half; if she is a nascent Titan, then her physical form may not yet exist; while her power does, giving her the spiritual presence implied in the night elf theology; as well as the role given to her in the Tauren mythos, placing her as a form of servant to the greater power of Azeroth.

And final, in reference to the Naaru theory; her displayed power level exceeds any shown by a Naaru so far, and not only is she a source of light magic for the priestesses of the moon; she is also the source of the arcane magic of balance druids, hence Moonfire, and Starfall. She is most certainly in a truly unique position in Warcraft's power structure; I am hopeful to see what becomes of her in Legion.

I like the concept that Elune is something different but touched upon in Chronicles. A sentient manifestation of the light greater than a Naaru, for lack of a better term, a light lord. Elune represents the Lights response to the Voids corruption of Azeroth, with Azeroth being so significant to existence.

The idea being that Elune descended into the well when Azeroth was wounded, to heal. Elune evolved and taught the night elves to become the caretakers of the wound, allowing her to rise into the heavens, ready to combat any future infestation. Unable to regularly manifest directly in reality, her children (night elves) of great faith (like Tyrande) can channel her great powers through the veil. That ability limited to her creations/children.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kensim View Post
    I like the concept that Elune is something different but touched upon in Chronicles. A sentient manifestation of the light greater than a Naaru, for lack of a better term, a light lord. Elune represents the Lights response to the Voids corruption of Azeroth, with Azeroth being so significant to existence.

The idea being that Elune descended into the well when Azeroth was wounded, to heal. Elune evolved and taught the night elves to become the caretakers of the wound, allowing her to rise into the heavens, ready to combat any future infestation. Unable to regularly manifest directly in reality, her children (night elves) of great faith (like Tyrande) can channel her great powers through the veil. That ability limited to her creations/children.

I didn't consider that angle; but it is certainly possible; especially given that one of the developers (I want to say Metzen, but am not quite certain), said that "Elune is the only true Deity of Azeroth". It would also explain her extreme power levels; which rival or exceed that of the titans, as well as her ability to tap into multiple forces, as she is seen using arcane energies in the Moonwells, and from druids; nature magic in the Emerald Dream and various other events; and Light magic in the form of the Priestesses.

Surely if Elune were to be a Naaru, Night Elves would have had a mark of the Naaru on their forehead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    With the revelation that elder Naaru exist in the Illidan novel, the existence of the void and its potential to corrupt a Titan and destroy everything, I'm partial to the idea that Elune is an elder Naaru monitoring and helping the world soul within Azeroth. We now know the Naaru are aware of the void, so why wouldn't they want to do something to protect the most powerful Titan from being corrupted? View it as an alternative viewpoint than that of Sargeras.
    Possibly; but we also have to take into the fact that the Titans are considered above the Naaru in power; though I an uncertain if this would put them above an elder Naaru; but I would take the ground that it does; and we know Elune is at least equal to a titan in power, due to the empowerment of Kalec, and her actions alongside the titans, and with the Night Elves. Naaru also solely use light magic; while Elune has been shown to use all three types of "good" magic.

I just have a question without being a troll, even thou someone might get upset cause of this. So I say sorry in advance.

Why would people be against Elune being a Naaru? Would it diminish its power somehow? Whatever it is, it sure is a supernatural being who can influence and empower mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollentar View Post
    I didn't consider that angle; but it is certainly possible; especially given that one of the developers (I want to say Metzen, but am not quite certain), said that "Elune is the only true Deity of Azeroth". It would also explain her extreme power levels; which rival or exceed that of the titans, as well as her ability to tap into multiple forces, as she is seen using arcane energies in the Moonwells, and from druids; nature magic in the Emerald Dream and various other events; and Light magic in the form of the Priestesses.
    Actually wasn't it that Elune and Hakkar were the only 2 true deities? Not just Elune

Possibly; but we also have to take into the fact that the Titans are considered above the Naaru in power; though I an uncertain if this would put them above an elder Naaru; but I would take the ground that it does; and we know Elune is at least equal to a titan in power, due to the empowerment of Kalec, and her actions alongside the titans, and with the Night Elves. Naaru also solely use light magic; while Elune has been shown to use all three types of "good" magic.
    No all it shows that she is at least level to the watchers on Azeroth when it came to empowering Kalec. The titans were not the ones who created the Aspecs, they were long gone when that happened and even could have already been killed by Sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoSul View Post
    Actually wasn't it that Elune and Hakkar were the only 2 true deities? Not just Elune
    And the Old Gods.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    No all it shows that she is at least level to the watchers on Azeroth when it came to empowering Kalec. The titans were not the ones who created the Aspecs, they were long gone when that happened and even could have already been killed by Sargeras.
    In Chronicle; the Dragon Aspects are created after the defeat of Galakrond, but before the fall of the Pantheon. As a direct quote, "Acting as conduits of their creator's powers, the gathered keepers bestowed the blessings of the Pantheon upon each proto-dragon" Hence; it was not the Watchers that actually provided the power for the empowerment, it was the Pantheon themselves. Elune empowered a Dragon Aspect directly, without needing to contact the pantheon; at the least putting her above the level of the Watchers and the Constellar; and likely above the Old Gods and equal to or exceeding the Titans themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    I just have a question without being a troll, even thou someone might get upset cause of this. So I say sorry in advance.

Why would people be against Elune being a Naaru? Would it diminish its power somehow? Whatever it is, it sure is a supernatural being who can influence and empower mortals.
    I am personally against it because it would feel.... Cheap. They have a myriad of opportunities that they can take, as she is extremely vague in what she actually is.
    The main factors opposing her being a Naaru are in World of Warcraft: A Roleplaying Game (Found the quote, wasn't a dev), the largest being that she is stated to be a God, or, the One True God of Azeroth; while even the Titans are referred to as Demi-Gods. ((Also, the fact that she is said to be the God of Azeroth, not Warcraft, could imply that her control applies very specifically to Azeroth, as might the control of an emergent world soul.)) She also uses more than Light magic; Druidic arcane and a proportion of the Emerald Dream are the doing of Elune; which is a departure from the solely Light-based Naaru. She is also stated to be incorporeal, while Naaru have physical forms.

However, supporting the Naaru idea is that Elune has two "faces", specifically, one of peace, and one of war; like a Naaru cycle; however, she seems to change at will, or on sudden impulses, rather than on an inevitable cycle, she also isn't nihilistic in her war form. (Reference to her warrish nature can be found in Desolace, in a short chain of quests where you offer up pounds of flesh to Elune). An example of when she suddenly changed to an active combatant is when Tyrande was ambushed in the second war of Ashenvale, by Garrosh. Elune directly empowered Varian Wynne, allowing him to fight without fatigue or injury throughout the battle to save Tyrande's life.

I am personally against it because it would feel.... Cheap. They have a myriad of opportunities that they can take, as she is extremely vague in what she actually is.
    The main factors opposing her being a Naaru are in World of Warcraft: A Roleplaying Game (Found the quote, wasn't a dev),
    The RPG is not canon and does not even resemble anything that is now canon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    The RPG is not canon and does not even resemble anything that is now canon.
    There has also been nothing to contradict it. And where does it not resembling current canon come from? I've got the book next to me; it reads very much like current canon; just with some differences.

We also have the fact that a character far more versed in the intricacies of the Light of Elune dismissed Velen's suggestion that Elune could be a Naaru out of hand. There are only four characters who may have a greater knowledge of Elune. Cenarius, who reveres her as a natural god, not a light-based god. Malorne; who again, treats her as a nature-based god. Ysera, more of the above, and she knew the Titan Watchers; as well as the power of the titans themselves through her own empowerment and the emerald dream. And finally, Elune herself.

Unlike every other Naaru, who strongly refuse worship as a god, Elune actively encourages it; appointing a High Priestess who she protects with substantial powers including, but not limited to:
    -Being able to conceal herself from a being as powerful as Archimonde.
    -Raising a shield capable of protecting herself and Malfurion from the full fury of the Sundering. Specifically, according to a canon Knaak book, War of the Ancients (yeah, I know, Knaak), Archimonde attacked this shield for days without it breaching.
    -Being able to heal any wound she attempts to. The only malady she has failed to heal was the old age of Jerod Shadowsong's wife.

When it is considered that multiple Naaru were only able to escape the transformed Eredar, and even then, they could be tracked; the first two powers on that list are above that shown by the Naaru at this current time. And the third power exceeds that shown by A'dal himself in the case of Crusader Bridenbrad.

There is also the case that Elune has a biological child; something that would be awkward for an energy being. She is also shown in Tauren mythology to actively pursue Malorne to an extent, promising to free him if he loved her; which doesn't sound like a very Naaru thing at all.

And again; with the final point. The Naaru use purely light magic; Elune has exhibited use of light, nature, and arcane magic; making her a somewhat unique entity. The only Titan I recall using a magic other than Arcane or Fel was Eonar, in creating the emerald dream.
    Last edited by mmoc51273d4eb3; 2016-04-12 at 04:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There has also been nothing to contradict it.
    Blizzard's official word is RPG is non-canon by default. I don't think Elune is a naaru though. She may be a deity of Light, just as naaru are entities of Light, hence some similarities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Blizzard's official word is RPG is non-canon by default. I don't think Elune is a naaru though. She may be a deity of Light, just as naaru are entities of Light, hence some similarities.
    Yeah, I found that bit now; but even with that quote nullified, she is still exhibiting powers leagues about that ever shown by a Naaru. And yeah, that's one of my ideas as well; much like the Voidlords and the Old Gods, except good.

Heh, I couldn't repost your quote properly because I can't post links yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    And again; with the final point. The Naaru use purely light magic; Elune has exhibited use of light, nature, and arcane magic; making her a somewhat unique entity. The only Titan I recall using a magic other than Arcane or Fel was Eonar, in creating the emerald dream.
    Light nature and arcane... sounds like vanilla nelf priest. Once upon a time we had a 'star' something spell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroZero View Post
    Light nature and arcane... sounds like vanilla nelf priest. Once upon a time we had a 'star' something spell.
    Starshards, yup.