Quote Originally Posted by CataclismicSunrise View Post
    Kinda how a lot of people play official WoW, huh? People sub and unsub all the time because they get bored. I'm in that phase right now. Every now and then I'll go back to WoW to level through the OLD content again, I don't give a shit about Blizzard's shitty updates anymore. If a vanilla server was available to me, I'd be doing it there. I mean, up until Cata, most of my WoW time was spent knocking about the base content. Only really went to Outland or Northrend if I want to have a little fly.
    Yup, but what you and others don't seem to be picking up is that all these different versions of wow, from expansion to expansion, are all different. Right now there is one version of the game, retail. It is easier to maintain one version of something, than 6 different versions, all with their own bugs/issues, which we would demand to be fixed because we are paying for the game dammit. Should get the same service right?

Did you, or anybody else for that matter, think about how this would even affect the community? Not just players, but mod makers? You think they should devote time/resources to create 6 different versions of your favourite mods and also maintain/bugfix them? Don't they also get to enjoy the game they are modding for? How will they find time for that when they are trying to maintain 6 versions of one of their 15 mods, all with different ways of calling functions since LUA has changed over the passed 11 years? Player community may also facture as people want to level only in their favourite expansion, which would obviously not be server connected.

The pros just don't out weigh the cons and I do feel bad for those that like the earlier versions and can't get to play it legitimately but it is an online MMO, things are constantly evolving/changing and not only from a software standpoint. I don't see people badgering MS to re-release windows 98 because it was their favourite operating system. Nor do I see companies like EA making patches for windows 10 so we can all play those old Command and Conquer games which don't run anymore. Sometimes, you just need to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jslE...&nohtml5=False

One lock keeps curse up. Corruption for procs. Shadowbolt. Have a nice day.
    Did you even watch your own video?

Must have missed those immolation and siphon life dots as well. Have an even better day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where annoying New Yorkers come to retire
    Quote Originally Posted by Etselion View Post
    Something like spending six months leveling a character in a illegal server that you know will be closed eventually?

Or playing the same game for over 10 years @ around $15 a month

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    Did you even watch your own video?

Must have missed those immolation and siphon life dots as well. Have an even better day.
    Ya hitting that button once in a blue moon looked fucking insane. Easily comparable to my rotation on live.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The server admins were scumbags, basically.
    - They modified online counter to show inflated numbers, like by 3-4k more than in reality.
    - They didn't perform character transfer to the PvE server.
    - They were very slow at fixing bugs.

They didn't deserved any money and it's good they are finally gone.
    Usually I would ignore blatant shilling like this but people are stupid enough to take you seriously.

1. /who was never proven to be modified. it was just a stupid rumor. the devs had nothing to gain from their server being popular, since they wouldn't even take donations. so why inflate numbers? for what purpose?
    2. of course they didn't provide character transfers to a NEW relm. it was a start to finish race which is 100x more enjoyable than allowing a few lv60s to transfer over and destroy the AH. a new server with tousands of new players is actually a really fun experience, no matter how frustrating it is trying to quest.
    3. they were a small ass team of dedicated people. they did miracles with what they had and they did it for free. if 'bugs' were such an issue, thousands of people wouldn't have played nost and it wouldn't have been the most popular private server to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahska View Post
    Intellectual property - A work or invention that is the result of creativity, such as a manuscript or a design (Technically a game is both), to which one has rights and for which one may apply for a patent, copyright, trademark, etc

Fair use - In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner..

This server hosting blizzards property is not a parody, its a direct rip of Blizzards property. They were stealing a companies product and giving it to others for free. You can play the greedy card or whatever but stealing is stealing. Like it or not Blizzard is in the right in this case.
    I know I said i wasnt going to post, but this is important.

"Fair use" is not a license. Fair use is a defense in court to a charge of copyright infringement. Anyone can sue anyone else, if they want to - and if you believe you have a fair use exception, you can argue that in court. But, saying "fair use" will not stop anyone from suing you, or protect you from lawsuits. You can legit have a fair use exception, but the copyright holder can still attempt to sue you, if they disagree, and you have to show up in court and prove you have fair use.

I was thinking about making an account on Nostralius, good thing I didn't. I won't mourn the lost of a private server you run the risk of being shut down by the company or on the whim of the people running it. I had several RO Private servers shut down on me back when I used to play on them.

So much ignorance in this thread. Let me preface by saying, I've never played on a private server.

People playing private servers aren't taking money from blizzard; they're simply uninterested in playing the garbage version of the game blizzard is offering now. Consider this, they aren't even broadcasting the numbers of subscribers in the conference calls anymore.

Ever since patch 3.0, WoW has been utter garbage. I played it nonstop until halfway into MoP when I couldn't handle it anymore.

By shutting down private servers that aren't making any money, Blizzard is just being petty and can't handle the fact that the 20,000 people playing on a private server are probably more than the active player base on any of their servers, or most of their servers combined. People don't like the new WoW anymore. Blizzard could make a killing by starting with legacy and doing a timeline based walkthrough of their games, and they'd never have to make any new content again. Alas, they're stubborn and will just continue to persecute people who want to play the fun versions of their games and will continue to release garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where annoying New Yorkers come to retire
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahska View Post
    Intellectual property - A work or invention that is the result of creativity, such as a manuscript or a design (Technically a game is both), to which one has rights and for which one may apply for a patent, copyright, trademark, etc

Fair use - In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner..

This server hosting blizzards property is not a parody, its a direct rip of Blizzards property. They were stealing a companies product and giving it to others for free. You can play the greedy card or whatever but stealing is stealing. Like it or not Blizzard is in the right in this case.
    Hi, I'm Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC. I'm going to have to see all of the legitimate payments for the mp3s on your smartphone. Why don't you take a seat over there?

I'll wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya hitting that button once in a blue moon looked fucking insane. Easily comparable to my rotation on live.
    Yeah, hitting two more buttons rapidly is so much harder, and the is no way that a class with a harder rotation in vanilla. Joking aside Feral druid on live can get really fast and since they made the game faster there is no class with the same rotation feel in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by haxedagain View Post
    So much ignorance in this thread. Let me preface by saying, I've never played on a private server.

People playing private servers aren't taking money from blizzard; they're simply uninterested in playing the garbage version of the game blizzard is offering now. Consider this, they aren't even broadcasting the numbers of subscribers in the conference calls anymore.

Ever since patch 3.0, WoW has been utter garbage. I played it nonstop until halfway into MoP when I couldn't handle it anymore.

By shutting down private servers that aren't making any money, Blizzard is just being petty and can't handle the fact that the 20,000 people playing on a private server are probably more than the active player base on any of their servers, or most of their servers combined. People don't like the new WoW anymore. Blizzard could make a killing by starting with legacy and doing a timeline based walkthrough of their games, and they'd never have to make any new content again. Alas, they're stubborn and will just continue to persecute people who want to play the fun versions of their games and will continue to release garbage.
    It's their IP, they have a right to defend it. Also, many would argue that the older stuff isn't fun. Fun is a subjective term.

The original discussion was never about comparing the complexity of the vanilla rotation to what it is on live. It was about your bullshit comment that all locks did was spam shadowbolt. But nice attempt at trying to spin it that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Real question is:

Can you fucking move on with your Lifes is 2004 NO MORE stop trying to make it happen again . Vanilla wow no longer reflects today standars for videogames it is shit with infinite grinding with no interfaces and just something that was good for the things gaming world had at the time. Stop with all the nosense about how good it is.
    Last edited by Akta; 2016-04-07 at 02:11 AM.
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

Deleted
    Hope this doesn't mean all the pseudo pros, that thought playing a 10 year old game made them hot shit, come back.

Quote Originally Posted by bonekrusher View Post
    Hi, I'm Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC. I'm going to have to see all of the legitimate payments for the mp3s on your smartphone. Why don't you take a seat over there?

I'll wait.
    Mp3s? What is this, 2007? Regardless, I think you'll find that in the real world, "but he did it too!" is rarely an acceptable defense.
    Beta Club Brosquad

"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," (Gabe Newell)

In this case you can't play passed expansions legally. Nostalrius and other private servers fill this gap. If they were hosting the same game version as live servers, Blizzard should shut them down. However Nostalrius were hosting older versions of the game, saying people want a free ride doesn't exactly ring true, think about it. If all these people just wanted WoW for free, why don't they play on private servers that are hosting WoD?

Why? because WoD isn't very good. Veteran players prefer past WoW. Nostalrius from what I have read, had a growing active community. I believe they were growing more than other private servers so Blizz had them shut down. If Blizz shut them down because of copyright infringement, why not shut down servers hosting WoD. What has Blizz achieved from shutting down Nostalrius, not much, people will just move on to another private server.

The original discussion was never about comparing the complexity of the vanilla rotation to what it is on live. It was about your bullshit comment that all locks did was spam shadowbolt. But nice attempt at trying to spin it that way.
    It wasn't because I'm pretty sure that is exactly what it was. Someone commented on how they missed the difficulty of old raids, why the hell else would I bring up the shadowbolt spam.

But ok.

Deleted
    are blizzard blind or something peope have been asking for classic servers for years so if you dnt offer them they will go elsewhere simple as and then they have the never to close a classic server down, none of this would happen if blizz had made classic servers in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    When thieves get shafted, I don't have a problem with that.
    This, so much. The salty lake that has formed is perfectly hilarious.

Lol so they also had to keep up immolate and siphon life in addition to spamming shadowbolt, much difficult, very complexity, wow
    Beta Club Brosquad