Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    Classic wow is not in a bundle. It's not in Battlechest. What's in the bundle is a completely different game through patches and patches of changes. And I don't think anything. Legally it's still their property of course, but that's not what we're discussing here is it?

What I mean is classic wow is no longer available other than through private servers. A game we paid millions of dollars for in the past is no longer available to us. That's not what happends if you buy a record or a movie on a DVD is it?
    Ugh, I can't fix stupid, so I give up. Yeah dude, you own all vanilla intellectual properties. Why don't you go ahead and open a private server. I'm sure you'll go far. When you get shut down, be sure to use that argument you just used.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    If anything this should show there is a market for legacy servers.
    Of course theres a market for them. Blizzard managed to get 3 or 4 million subs back by repeating the word 'savage' 2,000 times during the months leading up to WoD.

Of COURSE they could sell vanilla servers, and make huge profits off them. The problem is the devs are so fucking out of touch. Its like watching a bunch of people with parkinsons disease try to balance to make a house of cards. I honestly think that the people in charge just have no faith in them.

Blizzard is schizophrenic. On one hand, they take serious risks, pouring years of development and tons of money into Overwatch, HoTS and Hearthstone, yet on the other hand they won't do something as risk free as creating paid vanilla servers. I don't even like vanilla I will openly admit that vanilla will sell like fucking crazy. They'd make their money back from the set up by just selling the entry fee, probably a few dozen times over at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Because dungeon teleports are more convenient than dungeon hubs. Look at challenge modes for example - they still use good old summoning stone system. Do people enjoy it? All i hear in /p "summ pls" or "omg why didn't they make us a teleport to dungeon flying takes so much time". Imagine the level of outrage if you had to use ground mount to do that?

To be fair i have no clue what dungeon hubs you are talking about, sorry.
    It's an idea mostly. Imagine the summoning stone linking to dailies like hub centered around each dungeon. And both Horde and Alliance has to fight through to get to the entrance. Obviously it doesn't have to be longer ride that 2 minutes. So take BC Auchidoun for instance from summoning stone to entrance. Centered around dailies. So you do dailies, and queue up for whatever dungeon you are hanging around. Or Isle of QuelDanas.

Obviously, you can't have it now. But if we had something that like for each instance, it would be a better middle ground. Blizzard is just being lazy designers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Good hopefully they hammer them with lawsuits even though they shut down. They were stealing others should be deterred from doing the same.
    clearly, they should be ruined for the rest of their lives for the damage they have done to blizzard, because now all those vanilla-nerds do not play on blizzard's vanilla-servers. out of pure greed no less, the 30 bucks a month they charge for their service provided them with enough money to buy an inflatable kiddy-pool for the backyard of their mom's house. blizzard should take their shitty servers, their mom's basement and the kiddy-pool. actually, especially the kiddy-pool. they can display it as a trophy at blizz-con.

to the topic:
    seriously, if they want to shut a p-server down to get ppl to play legion, they should start with wod-servers.

It's not "blizzard" it's "players" who moved away from social aspects of the game. It's players who didn't wanted to spend 40 minutes in lagforge spamming "LFM no rogues", it's players who constantly complained about ninja looters, it's players who constantly complained about level 60 in low level location teabagging lowbies and no one getting to their help because 99/1 horde/alliance pop. It's players who told other players to suck it up and reroll. It's players who started kicking other players from raids for a single mistake (or because they share same loot). All blame is on players for ruining social aspects of WoW, not on blizzard.
    Well it's blizzards fault they listened to those "ideas" and thought it would make their game more popular in the long run. It only proved to boost numbers for a short time before people realized the social aspect of the game actually matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    I would argue each expansion of wow is more or less its own game. Everyone has different tastes I myself didn't enjoy vanilla all that much but did savor tbc. As for the whole community thing I have to disagree while no where as large as the vanilla one the tbc server has a amazing community with raid guilds that help each other out.
    There are plenty of raid guilds on live server with amazing people that help each other out... I used to have one like this, before drama happened, now i have to build the guild from a scratch but sadly i can't be bothered with it anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    As I recall the primary thing was they were actually reselling the software. Pay X AND pay for a sub. The former is what's illegal.
    Doing anything without blizzards permission with their software is illegal, your technically not even technically allowed to let your own family members play on your account. You have to download a client to play on Vanilla servers(redistribution), how do you not understand this yet? On top of that they are making money by hosting software that isn't theirs. Do you have any idea the costs of running server equipment for a month that has the capacity to hold tens of thousands of connections? You think all of that is free and runs itself with no maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    A server does not redistribute the game. A server sends commands to a client. The server isn't reproducing more than command -- totally legal. Your own computer with the software you purchased at Amazon, WalMart, or whetever -- is responding to those commands.
    A server which allows you to download content to which you didn't have to buy and is taken from another company without permission is illegal, again.. how did you even come to this conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Soooo what about the people who never bought any incarnation of wow and play on the private server. This argument doesn't really work anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    They're using the client software illegally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Repeating because, obviously, reading is hard:

Section 2-F: "facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation (a) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; and (b) any connection using programs or tools not expressly approved by Blizzard;"

What they were doing is against the user agreement with Blizzard, therefore liable for suing
    ^ Quoting for truth.

Maybe If i say it enough over and over.. he will get it.... /flipstable

Deleted
    I believe private servers are a place for criminals like most p2p sharing is criminal.
    There must be a reason they don't just make their own game - using old Ideas doesn't seem problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Ugh, I can't fix stupid, so I give up. Yeah dude, you own all vanilla intellectual properties. Why don't you go ahead and open a private server. I'm sure you'll go far. When you get shut down, be sure to use that argument you just used.
    Yeah just call me stupid, that's usually a progressive way to handle a discussion.

Deleted
    There are plenty of raid guilds on live server with amazing people that help each other out... I used to have one like this, before drama happened, now i have to build the guild from a scratch but sadly i can't be bothered with it anymore
    True you see a bit of it on raid realms still. I would just argue the point that the way content is given out. Such as it was in vanilla and tbc with strong server communities effects how players approach and interact with said content as well as each other. While the player base may demand things be made simpler for them I am not sire it benefits them in the long run to actually provide that to them.

Well it's blizzards fault they listened to those "ideas" and thought it would make their game more popular in the long run. It only proved to boost numbers for a short time before people realized the social aspect of the game actually matters.
    I think WoD which isolates players in an overly rewarding garrison is a testament to that. I'm hoping Legion's quest events system will encourage players to get out in the world more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    It's an idea mostly. Imagine the summoning stone linking to dailies like hub centered around each dungeon. And both Horde and Alliance has to fight through to get to the entrance. Obviously it doesn't have to be longer ride that 2 minutes. So take BC Auchidoun for instance from summoning stone to entrance. Centered around dailies. So you do dailies, and queue up for whatever dungeon you are hanging around. Or Isle of QuelDanas.

Obviously, you can't have it now. But if we had something that like for each instance, it would be a better middle ground. Blizzard is just being lazy designers.
    They've tried this already many times and it always fails, it's not the case of "fixing it", it's just really lazy concept of "put all end game grind in one place".
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Yeah just call me stupid, that's usually a progressive way to handle a discussion.
    what discussion. There is nothing to discuss. being stupid enough and stating you believe you own Blizzards intellectual property with Vanilla wow, isn't discussion, it's just being stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where annoying New Yorkers come to retire
    I completely disagree with this and you are 100% wrong because if that was the case Blizzard would do some sort of cheesy "Timewalking" thing that brought the players back to.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    It's a private server using the intellectual property of a company without their permission.

What the fuck did people expect?
    About the same as always when a private server gets too popular. Blizzard shutting them down isn't even the main reason why it sucks so much. Its that they shut down servers while not wanting to run their own legacy servers, while there is a big demand for it.

Which is the slow downward spiral most have been already subjected too. Welcome to the club. I was in an awesome guild in vanilla. Ended breaking apart due to TBC coming, and GF drama with raid leader and his girlfriend. I then built a small guild and we had something great until roughly then end of the expansion due to similar shit. A dude fell in love with a fake girl online, got catfished. When he couldn't face the rest of us and quit the game it took our raidleader and best healer with him. (He was the raidleader and best healer) It kinda just fell apart after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where annoying New Yorkers come to retire
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    I believe private servers are a place for criminals like most p2p sharing is criminal.
    There must be a reason they don't just make their own game - using old Ideas doesn't seem problematic.
    You sound like my mentally challenged wife. Do you have good sandwich making skills?

LFG was something everyone was happy about when it first released. No longer having to spam general chat to look for a group? Not having to leave instance and look for me when someone left mid dungeon? Being able to do Heroics you were saved to through LFG? It was awesome and no one complained about this when it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    what discussion. There is nothing to discuss. being stupid enough and stating you believe you own Blizzards intellectual property with Vanilla wow, isn't discussion, it's just being stupid.
    I never said I believe we own blizzards intellectual property. If you can quote me on that go ahead. What you "discuss" is what's legal, which is completely irrelevant to the discussion about private servers. I made a point we paid a lot of money for a game that's not available anymore, that's not the same thing as I think we own their property. I even said they own vanilla wow legally. cmon dude, you're not bringing anything new to the table.

I'm not sure if you are ignorant or clueless to this but it would take quite the effort to bring a vanilla server up today. Sure, we can sit here and say "Well, they did it!" and that's nice but really think about it. We have battle.net integrated into every game today, they would have to add that in as the OLD system does not exist and I would go for that integration not reinvent the old system which you would still need to revive support/management for on battle.net and so on (GM Tickets are not the same!). What about bugs that existed at the time? Do they get fixed? These are just a few examples.

More importantly, how much time would this take? Where does this development time and cost come from? Not my subscription fee I hope. I pay for current content, not passed content. You can sit there and make a million excuses: "Where do you think the money for HotS came from?" or "That's how I want my sub money used!" but neither of those are good answers. If you're sitting there trying to argue that, I think you should find your next vanilla server and take off. You have a larger player-base that wants more current content, if you split that you risk losing those customers. Subscription numbers already dropping is not a counter-argument that's just reinforces this point that there is no content to do.