Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Edmonton Addition Elle employee fired for using the word 'fat'

Connie Levitsky didn't think using the F-word would mean losing her job.

The third-year MacEwan University student describes herself as fat, has no problem referring to herself that way, and is proud of her body.

So as a sales associate at Edmonton plus-size women's retailer Addition Elle, she described her job title on Facebook as, "Conquering the world, one well-dressed fat lady at a time."

She removed the post last week, at her manager's request.

When she arrived at work on Tuesday, she was told she no longer had a job.

"It was explained to me that the company simply just does not want to be associated with the word 'fat' because of the negative connotation attached to it, and they prefer to use the words 'curvy or shapely' or other euphemisms," Levitsky said.

"I remember feeling just incredibly shocked."

'It was explained to me that the company simply just does not want to be associated with the word 'fat' because of the negative connotation attached to it.'
    – Connie Levitsky

Levitsky took to Facebook on Tuesday night with a post explaining why she's comfortable with calling herself fat.

She's always been fat, she explained, something that used to cause her anger, shame and anxiety.

She said body-positivity movements helped her accept using the word fat to describe her figure.

She said she's upset that Addition Elle, a company she admired for the way it advocates for acceptance of all women's bodies, can't accept a word many women use without worry to describe themselves.

Her original post was shared more than a thousand times.

"I don't see fat as being a negative thing anymore," Levitsky said.
    "I realize that when I take offence to a word that is used to hurt me, I'm essentially reinforcing this perpetuation that fat people should be and are ashamed of themselves, that there's something wrong with being fat."

Addition Elle responded to Levitsky's post with a statement on its Facebook page. The company said firing Levitsky was a mistake and that it "took the word 'fat' out of its context," worried it might offend customers and employees.

She hasn't spoken to her manager, but if she's offered her job back, she said, she won't be taking it.

"I feel it would be a disservice to the women I was trying to empower if I continue to work for a company that has said ... that they still don't condone the use of this word," Levitsky said.

"I don't feel what I was trying to say has truly gotten across to them."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-fat-1.3524015

This is getting really silly now. Definitely time to look into boycotting this merchant.
    I also don't really get the idea of being proud of being fat..

Fired for using fat? xD Why!

Deleted
    You win this time Marxists but we will be back.

I saw this earlier today, and decided I am going to get in contact with her and offer her a job as I do business around Edmonton. Fuck SJW shenanigans and thin skinned people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats silly is that adults don't know how to be internet responsibly.

She is entitled to her free speech and and didnt say anything harmful but apparently its against whatever public image her company wants to portray.

She might have been off the clock but she was representing the company on social media by naming followed by her own little mission statement. Now f the company doesn't want to call their customers fat, doesn't matter if they are fat or not thats not a word the company wants use in its branding, then the lady is certainly in the wrong.

They didn't have to fire her but what they did was 100% legal and within their right as a company.
    If she doesn't know how to separate her job from a her personal life then she was bound to fuck up in some other way down the line.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't she already reinstated?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Laughable.

Bring on the shaming for the fatties.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Whats silly is that adults don't know how to be internet responsibly.

She is entitled to her free speech and and didnt say anything harmful but apparently its against whatever public image her company wants to portray.

She might have been off the clock but she was representing the company on social media by naming followed by her own little mission statement. Now f the company doesn't want to call their customers fat, doesn't matter if they are fat or not thats not a word the company wants use in its branding, then the lady is certainly in the wrong.

They didn't have to fire her but what they did was 100% legal and within their right as a company.
    If she doesn't know how to separate her job from a her personal life then she was bound to fuck up in some other way down the line.
    The whole obsession with a company's 'public image' is often ridiculous and needlessly invasive. It was a harmless comment and anyone 'offended' by it would need to go out of their way to get up in arms about it. It doesn't even have to make sense - people risk losing their jobs because something 'might' be taken the wrong way. I don't know about you but I'd much prefer to see more people given the benefit of the doubt. As far as we know it, we only live once - so why must people be needlessly shackled and forced to conform to increasingly rigid rules as to what is and isn't 'acceptable'?

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    I saw this earlier today, and decided I am going to get in contact with her and offer her a job as I do business around Edmonton. Fuck SJW shenanigans and thin skinned people.
    Honestly super cool of you! Let us know how it goes?

Tennislock, were you torn making this post?

On one hand you have a woman, proud of herself and her abilities being brought down by the man.

On the other you have a fattie, which according to you, deserves to be shamed.

Getting close to that super bingo boys

I think we've had all but the healthcare thread and the eventual ban. Check off some more boxes yo!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I think we've had all but the healthcare thread and the eventual ban.
    Last edited by miguestner; 2016-04-07 at 06:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like they were just waiting for whatever reason to fire her.

Quote Originally Posted by miguestner View Post
    I think we've had all but the healthcare thread and the eventual ban.
    Actually he was banned recently.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Maybe she meant P.H.A.T. Like..."that's phaaaaaaaaaaat, bruuuuh!"

The P.H. is for Pretty Hefty.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    You win this time Marxists but we will be back.
    This isn't Marxism. This is just plain SJW idiocy.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I think we've had all but the healthcare thread and the eventual ban. Check off some more boxes yo!
    Pretty sure we've had those too. Well, especially the ban, when he's gotten banned about 20 times already
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Getting fired for using completely relevant descriptive words.

What a time to be alive.

If the fat women put the same amount of effort into exercise as they do at being offended by everything, there would be no fat women.

Deleted
    How can you not see fat as a negative thing?

It's unhealthy, unattractive and you probably die early.

7+ Year Old Account
    I support the idea that she was using the fat with a "PH" as in "Man those cloths are phat!"

On topic. Yeah getting in any trouble for using the word fat. Faith in humanity -1