The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahaha

All those people on these forums now saying "You guys are idiots playing WoD, I'm enjoying Nostralius" just got destroyed.

and 5 more will open up.

shut one down, many more take it's place.

if blizzard really cared they'd make their own legacy servers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimusmc View Post
    and 5 more will open up.

Shut one down, many more take it's place.

If blizzard really cared they'd make their own legacy servers.
    hail hydra!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woakerio View Post
    I think people just miss and enjoy vanilla and wish Blizzard would offer that experience.
    This honestly.

I would happily pay for legacy servers. I am not happy with how the game is right now, but loved how it used to be. It is this attitude of blizzard that pisses me off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XuOYmqSF6OQ

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Hahahaha

All those people on these forums now saying "You guys are idiots playing WoD, I'm enjoying Nostralius" just got destroyed.
    explain why we got destroyed by some retarded autistic children on mmo-circlejerk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
    I'm not sure if you are ignorant or clueless to this but it would take quite the effort to bring a vanilla server up today. Sure, we can sit here and say "Well, they did it!" and that's nice but really think about it. We have battle.net integrated into every game today, they would have to add that in as the OLD system does not exist and I would go for that integration not reinvent the old system which you would still need to revive support/management for on battle.net and so on (GM Tickets are not the same!). What about bugs that existed at the time? Do they get fixed? These are just a few examples.

More importantly, how much time would this take? Where does this development time and cost come from? Not my subscription fee I hope. I pay for current content, not passed content. You can sit there and make a million excuses: "Where do you think the money for HotS came from?" or "That's how I want my sub money used!" but neither of those are good answers. If you're sitting there trying to argue that, I think you should find your next vanilla server and take off. You have a larger player-base that wants more current content, if you split that you risk losing those customers. Subscription numbers already dropping is not a counter-argument that's just reinforces this point that there is no content to do.
    You realize they could just ask the Nostalrius dev team for their code, in fact it's even open source now. But really do people think Blizzard doesn't store their old code for each patch? Come on now, they do.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Maybe Blizzard could have said business if they'd stop being so stubborn and provide the service themselves.
    They won't, because there's absolutely nothing to suggest that the amount of effort and money needed to restore the old code and purchase the servers to host that code will attract enough people willing to pay to play for vanilla. For all the proponents of it crow about Nostralius having OMG 10,000 PEOPLE!!!!! playing it at once, they never once had anything solid to suggest that that number wouldn't have melted the moment they had to spend money to play on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Many MMO's use a LFD/LFR style tool just fine and have great communitys IMO like FFXIV.

WoW's problem isn't the tools its the people who use them.
    FFXIV's Duty Finder WAS good. I went back to FFXIV a month or so ago with a free 7 day Trial thing they sent me and it seems it has now turned into WoW LFD 2.0.

People either didn't talk, or were just toxic as fuck berating other people in the group for slight mistakes. I wasn't too bothered though since I've dealt with this for years, but I do find it pretty funny since the toxic people on these forums that used to post things like "WoW is shit I'm going to FFXIV" have moved to that game, FFXIV feels far more toxic and my WoW LF groups have been increasingly pleasant.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    Believe it or not, no, I don't pirate or download things illegally. Not all of us think it's fine.

That's fine and all, but supporting theft just to have it doesn't make it OK in any world.
    you seem like the kind of person who would arrest a girl protecting herself using something illegal in a country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idonteven View Post
    explain why we got destroyed by some retarded autistic children on mmo-circlejerk
    Obviously by your attempt to insult people, you are pretty mad.

Quote Originally Posted by idonteven View Post
    you seem like the kind of person who would arrest a girl protecting herself using something illegal in a country.
    Ummm ya because she still broke the law.

Just like the guy who shot down the drone in Kentucky was still fined even tho the drone was hovering over his yard. One crime does not ok another.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    The amount of people that support theft is astounding. I hope none of you have to deal with someone stealing your shit. It doesn't matter if they make money off it or not, it's taking potential customers away from you. Video games are a business, it doesn't matter if you want it to be or not. It's not yours to make a private server for. Arguing for the idiots who thought this was OK to do is juvenile.
    To continue the car analogy in this thread.

Blizzard makes car in 2000, everyone loves it. Continues to make new models of this car, currently the car is the 2010 model. People don't like it, want the 2000 version because it's essentially a completely different car than the 2010 model. Blizzard refuses to recreate the 2000 model so someone else does it and they make no profit off of it. If blizzard wanted to use their intellectual property, they could, but they don't so someone else isn't letting it go to waste because obviously there is a demand for it. I'm not arguing it's not technically illegal and theft, but shutting it down is simply a dick move as it does not impact them because the 2010 and 2000 models are so vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    it was stupid, even if you used the word "kinda," actually it would have sounded less stupid if you just owned your whole argument instead of basing an argument on a point you don't even agree with. I tried to help fix your stupid, but then you went and said blizzard doesn't sell anything from vanilla in their game and doubled down. I still can't fix your stupid, and we're still not discussing anything.
    Haha. You still believe vanilla wow is in live wow, really? Parts of it is there, but it's not the same game. But you still try to cover up your own false statement.

And you can buy intellectual property. Look it up. Nothing in my statement was wrong. It was not meant to be taken literally from the start, that's why I added "kinda", but you have spent how many posts trying to grasp it?

Calling me stupid multiple times makes you look really stupid yourself, do you realize that?
    Last edited by barackohmama; 2016-04-07 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajdhfh View Post
    Looks cool.

However, for the sake of taking the other side; peak playerbase beforehand (likely up tonight due to the news), was around 15,000 yes?
    The state of which is better is just an opinion.
    They almost had 1 million accounts before they got shut down, with around 13-15k people online at all times. The server was up for a year.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing of value was lost. It's against the rules and it was a good move to shut it down. Private servers should all share the same fate. There's no need for them and people just need to accept Vanilla's never coming back.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

More of Blizzard being butthurt about how bad their current games are. If WoD had 10 million subs they wouldnt have cared, this is pure butthurt.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    More of Blizzard being butthurt about how bad their current games are. If WoD had 10 million subs they wouldnt have cared, this is pure butthurt.
    Ya blizzards games are soooo bad. It isn't like they are swimming in money.

Bad/Good is subjective I wonder if people realise this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    This honestly.

I would happily pay for legacy servers.
    I think if Blizzard offered legacy servers (with all the backend engineering and customer support that doing it properly would entail), I think you'd find that the vast majority of players wouldn't be willing to pay a subscription to access it.

Nostalrius was free. Other private servers will continue to be free. And that'll always draw the freeloaders away from the official product.

If it were something Blizzard could easily do and guarantee profitability, without cannibalizing their own playerbase, they would do it. They know how many people are playing on these private servers, they know how much it would cost, and they know how many employees it would take to maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadistz View Post
    To continue the car analogy in this thread.

Blizzard makes car in 2000, everyone loves it. Continues to make new models of this car, currently the car is the 2010 model. People don't like it, want the 2000 version because it's essentially a completely different car than the 2010 model. Blizzard refuses to recreate the 2000 model so someone else does it and they make no profit off of it. If blizzard wanted to use their intellectual property, they could, but they don't so someone else isn't letting it go to waste because obviously there is a demand for it. I'm not arguing it's not technically illegal and theft, but shutting it down is simply a dick move as it does not impact them because the 2010 and 2000 models are so vastly different.
    I just can't in any way see it being a dick move for them telling people not to use their stuff. Just because I don't use my old car doesn't make it ok for you to take it and use it. They weren't making a different version, they were using Blizzards old source code and property. Just because it isn't being used doesn't make it any less Blizzards property. Theft is theft, you can't justify it.
    Bleh

10+ Year Old Account
    Where annoying New Yorkers come to retire
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Ugh, I can't fix stupid, so I give up. Yeah dude, you own all vanilla intellectual properties. Why don't you go ahead and open a private server. I'm sure you'll go far. When you get shut down, be sure to use that argument you just used.
    I can't fix stupid either, but i can sure try...

I bought the Beastie Boys' first album on vinyl. I don't own the intellectual rights, but I did purchase the album.

Many Beastie Boys albums came out afterwords which I've also purchased and still own. That didn't negate nor overwrite my first purchase of their first album, it just added to the collection.

Comparing my latest collection of Beastie Boys releases to their first album makes the first album sound like a joke in the technical aspect.

But, when I listen to that first album... I'm not hearing the poor recording, the goofy lyrics, nor the bad production. I'm listening to what was the start of something big. And I was there when it happened. And dammit when I want to get a little nostalgic, I'll put that record on and listen to it in all of it's poorly made glory and I feel happy. Because I bought it when it came out. And I still want to enjoy it to this day. Mainly because of both my time and money invested in the bands progression, but also because I FUCKING ALREADY PAID FOR IT THE FIRST TIME.

Kick private servers off the map. That's fine. I understand the legalities. But I bought Vanilla. If I want to play vanilla (as stupid as that may be).... let me fucking play what I paid for back when Blizzard was making their first big hit.

(Feel free to replace "Beastie Boys" with any successful music group from the past two decades)