The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I unsubscribed and let them know why.

(inb4 "Can I have your stuff?")
    Why were you subbed to them if you were playing a private server anyway? Assuming I'm understanding your vaguely stated reason.

Also, can I have your stuff? :P
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioningWho View Post
    I'm absolutely disgusted by some of the attitudes of the anti-nostalrius individuals here in this thread. You all cry "thief!" and "criminal!", provoking those who are affected by the closing of this server. You've gone out of your way to kick these people while they're down. All for... what? To make yourselves feel superior? To somehow demonstrate that you hold some sort of moral high ground? Or is it to show off yours seemingly infinite wisdom that you believe you possess?

The fact of the matter is, there are THOUSANDS of people who are upset by this turn of events. Just as your retail World of Warcraft means something to you, so too did Nostalrius mean something to a great many people. Take a moment and ask yourselves, how would you feel if (when) Blizzard shut down retail World of Warcraft? Would it not upset you, too? Would it make you feel any better to have those who enjoyed different games laughing at your plight?

What's wrong with some of you? Has the internet really become so toxic a place that we must publicly celebrate the negative circumstances that come upon those who differ from us, and go out of our way to humiliate them?

And what crime did Nostalrius players commit? How did they ever harm you? The only thing the Nostalrius community is guilty of is being passionate. A passion for the game, the world, and their fellow players.

With your attitudes, the only thing you've championed today is Blizzard's coffers. Not World of Warcraft. Not the MMO community. Not video games. The wallets of a few excessively wealthy individuals. That's who you've stood up for today with all your apathetic ridiculing and harassment. Bravo. You can rest easy tonight in your knowing that you were there to kick a few poor men and women who were down after losing perhaps one of their most beloved hobbies. A hobby which in no way truly negatively impacted you or anyone else.
    You can't support theft and then claim people are greedy. That's absurd. The rise of piracy is why we have DRM. The rise of piracy is why we have prices the way we do. People who steal things are the ones who are ruining it for the rest of us. There's no justifying it. You're just holding the wool over your own eyes.
    Last edited by Boathouse; 2016-04-07 at 06:01 AM.
    Bleh

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I unsubscribed and let them know why.

(inb4 "Can I have your stuff?")
    Now if the rest of you that have some twisted sense of entitlement would unsub we might get somewhere.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    I'm ok with it, all butthurt individuals are free to use my quotes. Without the risk of getting sued or shut down. Great huh?
    Well, someone has to have an intelligent idea for it to then eventually become an intellectual property. Nothing I quoted from you was ever intelligent, so yeah i'm good. Lucky for you I won't be quoting the lack of intelligence anymore, since i now have something to do. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much to keep it going though. You get the last words if you want them. But unless you procrlaim the stupidity of what you've been saying, I'm sure it won't be any less stupid as fuck as we've come to expect. Night pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Hey man, you contribute to stealing and you pay the price. If you think rampant theft is good for the video game industry I don't know what to say....

I think a lot of people are just butthurt that they sunk hundreds of hours into a gamble that fell through.
    Exactly. If you play on a emulated or pirated server, you run the risk of it not being there the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Now if the rest of you that have some twisted sense of entitlement would unsub we might get somewhere.
    You'd have almost a dead game, as that twisted sense of entitlement is in a lot of people. Entitlement is a thing many people have (Which is also bad), but I assume 'twisted' in this nature is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    You can't support theft and then claim people are greedy. That's absurd. The rise of piracy is why we have DRM. The rise of piracy is why we have prices the way we do. People who steal things are the ones who are ruining it.
    Piracy is not theft, that's what companies claim. The rise of piracy is why we have Netflix, Spotify and Steam. Piracy have always been positive to the consumer, the companies who starts wars against piracy which they can never win and refuse to adapt to new times are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharum View Post
    Piracy is not theft, that's what companies claim. The rise of piracy is why we have Netflix, Spotify and Steam. Piracy have always been positive to the consumer, the companies who starts wars against piracy which they can never win and refuse to adapt to new times are the problem.
    That's something only a person who's never had something stolen from them that makes a lot of money would think. Anyone with real world business sense would laugh you out of the building if you said that to them.
    Last edited by Boathouse; 2016-04-07 at 06:05 AM.
    Bleh

i had 450€ profit on that server,good times XD

I wonder how many people were like me, played Nostalrius AND had an active wow subscription going...

Such piracy...

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    The difference is is that managing Diablo 2 at this point is a a 5-10 person job at max. Having servers run on the old archetype (Which has PLENTY of security flaws which people tend to forget) will require a lot of people, especially with how much of a grander scale a WoW server runs on opposed to the Diablo 2 server. They don't even have the old WoW servers anymore, remember they gave a lot of them away in contests? The servers that ran that code simply don't exist anymore. That's not counting the people who'd be put in charge of player support, account management, the bug team, game masters, and plenty of others. It financially doesn't make sense to put that many people on something that will receive no content updates. Look at the subscriber falls during content lulls in EVERY EXPANSION. The only reason they never really cared was that they knew people would come back for the new stuff. How many people will continue clearing Naxx 2 years down the road? People throw fits when they have content for more than 6 months on live. It doesn't make financial sense.
    Its a pretty steady climb in subscribers til WotLK, and then a steady decline until recently. There are countiless private servers out there that run on donations, people understand there will be no new content but for many the entire experience would be new content. Its also something to do during the content gaps in current wow. Its not about clearing naxx for 2 years, they do what nost did and start a couple servers and release the old content on a similar to original timeline. People can experience that at their leisure while still playing the current game. Every few years start a couple new servers. Thing is most people on nost were not leveling to max asap and raiding, people were playing the game and just having fun.

Honestly I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I have, and I only started a couple months ago. Its fun just playing the different classes from back then and experiencing parts of the game I never did in the way it was originally meant to be played. I played in classic, started in 04 so I've been there before, all the way through as big portion of naxx. I've had more social interaction and made more in game friends in a couple months of vanilla wow than I've had in the last 9 years of retail wow. People from all over the world. My highest character is 37. The game was great then and its great now, I think blizzard underestimates how popular the idea is and how good their original game was. Do they really stand to lose that much by offering more for their current wow players to do? Its a much better way to implement classic raids and dungeons and a much better way for their customers to experience it.

A good portion of the job is done, the code for the servers is open source. And it was working really well. What better time to do it than with the release of the warcraft movie coming this summer?

800,000 accounts were created for nost servers alone, 180000 of those are currently active. There are many many other private servers.

Perhaps the biggest reason the private server was shut down:

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Well, someone has to have an intelligent idea for it to then eventually become an intellectual property. Nothing I quoted from you was ever intelligent, so yeah i'm good. Lucky for you I won't be quoting the lack of intelligence anymore, since i now have something to do. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much to keep it going though. You get the last words if you want them. But unless you procrlaim the stupidity of what you've been saying, I'm sure it won't be any less stupid as fuck as we've come to expect. Night pal.
    I'm sad you percieved it that way. But I'm not sure intellectual property has to be measured by intelligence to be classified as intellectual property, it just has to be logically defined. Even though I think I had a few good points. Thanks for wasting everyones time by not contributing anything whatsoever to the discussion. Good night.
    Last edited by barackohmama; 2016-04-07 at 06:11 AM.

Deleted
    I look back at the times that i read thoose posts that said "Vanilla was a objectively superior game" ; And i laugh. And laugh. and laugh.

OT; Did anyone expect anything else?

https://www.change.org/p/michael-mor...raft-community

Petition at 15k and climbing

This message is written in hopes that changes may be made possible in the link between Blizzard and volunteer based legacy servers.

We never saw our community as a threat for Blizzard. It sounds more like a transverse place where players can continue to enjoy old World of Warcraft's games no longer available, maybe until a new expansion appears; a huge and powerful community of fans that remains attached to future Blizzard games, as we have in no other gaming company.
    We don’t have the pretention to come up with a complete solution regarding legacy servers that you and your company didn't already think about, but we'd be glad and honored to share it with you if you're interested, still on a volunteer basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharum View Post
    pi·ra·cy
    ˈpīrəsē/
    noun
    the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea.
    synonyms: freebooting, robbery at sea; archaicbuccaneering
    "piracy on the high seas"
    a practice similar to piracy but in other contexts, especially hijacking.
    "air piracy"
    the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work.
    plural noun: piracies
    "software piracy"
    synonyms: illegal copying, plagiarism, copyright infringement, bootlegging
    "software piracy"
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    I look back at the times that i read thoose posts that said "Vanilla was a objectively superior game" ; And i laugh. And laugh. and laugh.

OT; Did anyone expect anything else?
    For reference I've been supporting the closure of pservers. With that in mind - yes, I think in many ways vanilla was superior (I don't know that I would go as far as saying objectively superior but IMO it certainly was). That doesn't excuse theft or piracy or whatever you want to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    I am signing this petition, thank you for posting it here.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2016-04-07 at 06:17 AM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    Its a pretty steady climb in subscribers til WotLK, and then a steady decline until recently. There are countiless private servers out there that run on donations, people understand there will be no new content but for many the entire experience would be new content. Its also something to do during the content gaps in current wow. Its not about clearing naxx for 2 years, they do what nost did and start a couple servers and release the old content on a similar to original timeline. People can experience that at their leisure while still playing the current game. Every few years start a couple new servers. Thing is most people on nost were not leveling to max asap and raiding, people were playing the game and just having fun.

Honestly I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I have, and I only started a couple months ago. Its fun just playing the different classes from back then and experiencing parts of the game I never did in the way it was originally meant to be played. I played in classic, started in 04 so I've been there before, all the way through as big portion of naxx. I've had more social interaction and made more in game friends in a couple months of vanilla wow than I've had in the last 9 years of retail wow. People from all over the world. My highest character is 37. The game was great then and its great now, I think blizzard underestimates how popular the idea is and how good their original game was. Do they really stand to lose that much by offering more for their current wow players to do? Its a much better way to implement classic raids and dungeons and a much better way for their customers to experience it.

A good portion of the job is done, the code for the servers is open source. And it was working really well. What better time to do it than with the release of the warcraft movie coming this summer?

800,000 accounts were created for nost servers alone, 180000 of those are currently active. There are many many other private servers.
    It's more of a thing to look at it as a long term investment, which it just isn't there. To what you said about the sub growth, yeah it grew steadily until the end of WotLK which was while the game was still fresh. WoW isn't bringing new players in yet. While I'm sure they will with the movie, do you think people will chose to play the game that's loaded with game play issues, an old engine, out dated graphics (the newer generations care about graphics way more than we do) and a slower playstyle? Or will they go to the new expansion with all the new features, new classes, new races, and 50 more levels of content. The only people that will go to the old servers will be people who are currently playing who want to relive the past for a short period of time. Classic servers on games are almost always dead in comparison to the newer version and we can even use Diablo 2 as an example again. Even with the new patch log in and look at the classic ladder versus the expansion ladder. The player base is tiny in comparison and those are able to run on the same server. It's a market that has a limited pool of players that won't grow. I've played this game since it was in closed beta, I still have my original characters with old stuff, I have multiple vanilla legendaries including Atiesh, I have Burning Crusade gladiator mounts, I have the old titles, but I will tell people to this day that it's fun for a small period of time to relive those days , but it will fade. The same as the love for a new content patch fades over time.

Now, if we're going to say people would love to play those times, I think expansion race seasons would be something Blizzard might consider. Do leagues like Path of Exile does. A short season of 2-4 months where you start fresh with different rule sets, say "Vanilla race, 1 to Kel'thuzad clear. 4 month league". Those would be fun and give so much replayability without relying on staff to keep the player base stuck in a time lapse. It would even give Blizzard a way to add more achievement (Feats probably) mounts and titles. Imagine a title for clearing Burning Crusade on that. <Blank, the Slayer of Kil'jaeden> , <Blank, the Lich King's Fall> , <Blank, Defiler of Naxxaramas> That's where it would be a financial masterpiece.
    Last edited by Boathouse; 2016-04-07 at 06:19 AM.
    Bleh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Was funny reporting every Nos player on Twitch to Blizzard. Sending them Sodapoppin VODs with timestamps when he was talking about it.

Glad to see it was worthwhile.
    Well sure, but they don't really care about those who play on the servers, it would have been different if we say Soda was the one who ran the server but no, he only plays it. Same thing is with downloading, millions of ppl do it but they are not after these ppl, they are after the ppl who upload it. Also dont understand why they do things like this. Many ppl dont play retail anymore and wont even bother resub because they are not out after current content. But it will prob come back with another name and some1 else running it, got all the data so ppl who played on Nostrallius cna go back to their old chars on this new server.

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    I'm sad you percieved it that way. But I'm not sure intellectual property has to be measured by intelligence to be classified as intellectual property, it just has to be logically defined. Even though I think I had a few good points. Thanks for wasting everyones time by not contributing anything whatsoever to the discussion. Good night.
    Ahh do want to reply to this because this one is easy. There are no outright unintelligent ideas that ever then go on to be massively successful enough to be trademarked, all rights reserved etc etc etc, so that other people don't steal it. So, if you use any logic what so ever you'd see i'm right. I hope you are no longer "no sure" because then you'd put the nail in the coffin i've been saying. Also I addressed your contributions to the disscussion thing long ago, but the stupid as fuck thing strikes again. I wasted nobody else's time but yours, nobody else gives a rats ass to my replies of yours.